- Madras Medical College
Madras Medical College Established 2 February 1835 Type Medical college and hospital Dean Dr. Kanagasabai Location Chennai, India Nickname MMCians Affiliations The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University Website www.mmc.tn.gov.in
The Madras Medical College is an educational institution located in Chennai, India. It was established on February 2, 1835. It is the oldest medical college in India, along with the Medical College Kolkata.
The Government General Hospital was started on 16 November 1664 as a small hospital to treat the sick soldiers of the British East India Company.
In its early days, the hospital was housed at Fort St. George. In the next 25 years, it grew into a formal medical facility Governor Elihu Yale was instrumental in the development of the hospital and gave it new premises within the fort in 1690.
The hospital moved out of the fort after the Anglo-French War, and it took 20 years before it could settle in the present permanent place in 1772. By 1772, the hospital was training Europeans, Eurasians and natives in Western methods of diagnosis and treatment and methods of preparing medicines. These trained personnel were posted to dispensaries in the district headquarters of the then Madras presidency to assist the qualified doctors. By 1820, the institution had recognition as a model hospital of the East India Company. In 1827, Dr. D. Mortimar was appointed as the superintendent.
The college began as a private medical hall run by Mortimar and was regularised into a medical school in 1835, which was opened by the Governor Sir Frederick Adam. The school was then attached to the Government General Hospital and was sponsored by the state.
Indians were admitted into the school in 1842.
In 1850, the school council submitted proposals to the Government to accord the status of a college. On October 1, 1850, it was accorded this status, and was christened Madras Medical College.
One of the first female doctors (one of the first four women students) in the world, Mary Scharlieb graduated from Madras Medical College in 1878, when women were not allowed to join medical colleges in Britain. At this time the first Indian woman doctor graduated from the institution: Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddi
In 1996, when the metropolis of Madras was renamed as Chennai, the college was renamed the Chennai Medical College. It was later re-renamed back to the Madras Medical College, since the college was known worldwide by the older name.
The college completed 175 years of its education in February 2010, which culminated with a grand function held at the college. The foundation stone for the new building of the college was laid by Honourable Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Dr. Karunanidhi, on 28 February 2010.
In January 2011, the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Dr.Karunanithi issued a G.O. and re-named the hospital as Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital.
Since 1857, the college has been affiliated to the University of Madras and all degrees of Health Sciences were awarded by the same until 1988 when the Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University Act, 1987 received the assent of the president of India. This affiliating university started functioning from July 1988 and is governed by the said Act.
The college was an independent university called the Madras Medical College and Research Institute (MMC & RI). Later the status as an independent university was withdrawn and the college was affiliated back to the Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, dropping the suffix: "Research Institute" in 2000.
Institutions attached to Madras Medical College
- Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital(RGGGH), Park Town, Chennai – 600003
- Barnard Institute of Radiology, Park Town, Chennai - 600003
- Institute of Mental Health, Kilpauk, Chennai - 600010
- Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Government Hospital for Women and Children (IOG & GH WC), Egmore, Chennai - 600008
- Institute of Child Health and Government Hospital for Children (ICH & HC), Egmore, Chennai - 600008
- Regional Institute of Ophthalmology and Government Ophthalmic Hospital, Chennai (RIOGOH), Egmore, Chennai - 600008
- Government Kasturbha Gandhi Hospital for Women and Children (KGH), Chennai - 600005
- Government Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, K.K. Nagar, Chennai - 600083
- Institute of Thoracic Medicine and Chest Diseases, Chetpet, Chennai - 600031
- Government Peripheral Hospital, Periyar Nagar, Chennai
- Communicable Diseases Hospital (CDH), Tondiarpet, Chennai - 600081
The Government General Hospital has a reputation of being one of the best in the state and ranks as one among the top in the Indian subcontinent. The entire hospital block has been remodeled with the reconstruction of the massive twin towers in lieu of the original hospital block which represented buildings which were more than a century old.
Honors and awards
The college is primarily a medical college, with 84 departments. The institution has a strong academic base awarding 80 medals and prizes to medical students every year through competitive examinations (Medals). The Johnstone medal is the most prestigious medal awarded to the medical student of highest academic excellence at the completion of their medical education.
Medals and awards by departments in the college.
- Dr. G. Rama Rao Gold Medal
- Dr. K. Govinda Menon Memorial Gold Medal
- Dr. V.N.C Rao Gold Medal
- Dr. D. Govinda Reddy Gold Medal
- Prof. S. Balakrishnan Gold Medal
- Dr. S. Rangachari Gold Medal
- Prof. A.S. Thambiah Gold Medal
- Prof. A.S. Thambiah Gold Medal
- Mrs. Ruckmani Memorial Gold Medal
- Dr. B. Ramamurthi Gold Medal
- Mrs. Janaki Natarajan Gold Medal
- Prof. K. Ramachandra's Gold Medal
- Prof. K.V. Thiruvengadam Gold Medal
- Jaigopal Garodia Gold Medal
- Dr. R. Nanjunda rao Gold Medal
- Selvalai Sethuraman Gold Medal
- Bharathi Lakshmi Gold Medal
- K. N. Rao's Gold Medal
- Block Lock Memorial Gold Medal
- A. Srinivasan Gold Medal
- J.A.S. Masilamani Memorial Gold Medal
- Prof. C. Senthilnathan Gold Medal
- The Thompson Memorial Gold Medal
- Dr. R. Chandramohan Memorial Gold Medal
- Dr. T. Sundara Reddy Memorial Gold Medal
- The C. Raitt Dunhill Prize Gold Medal
- Dr. Samuel Jesudoes Memorial Gold Medal
- Dr. S. Govindarajan Endowment Prize
- Dr. P. Rathinaswamy Memorial Prize
- Lt. Col. Thayumanasamy Prize
- K.V. Bhatt Memorial Prize
- Dr. Guruswamy Mudaliar Prize
- Dugar Welfare Fund Prize
- Col. K.G. Pandalai Charitable Trust Endowment Prize
- Mouli Mohammed Sahilis Prize
- Prof. M.S. Ramakrishnan Prize
- The Bannerman Prize
- Dr. P.V. Cherian Endowment Prize
- The Bradfield Prize
- Smt. Leelarani Seshachalam Endowment Prize
- Dr. Rajasekara Reddy Prize
- Dr. A. Srinivasulu Naidu Memorial Prize
- Dr. P.K. Thirupad Memorial Endowment Prize
- Dr. G.V. James Prize
- The Maitland Memorial Prize
- Dugar Welfare Foundation Prize
- Dr. S.K. Sundaram Memorial Prize
- Dr. P.S. Venkatesa Pillai Prize
- The Price Memorial Prize
- The Allan Evan Grant Prize
- Syed Nazeer Ahmed Prize
- Dr. Bashyam Memorial Prize
- Dr. K.K. Ramalingam Prize
- Prof. Sam G.P. Moses Oration
- Thiru M.R.B. Oration
- Dr. Ikuhisa Hajiwara Oration
- Institute Day Oration of the Institute of Neurology
- Dr. S. Kalyanaraman Endowment
- Dr. Senthil S. Rangachari Endowment (Neurology)
- Dr. Lakshmipathi Oration
- Dr. N. Venkatraman Oration
- Dr. Subramaniam Suresh Memorial Oration
- Thiru C.V. Charry Memorial Prize
- Dr. S. Rajagopal Endowment Lecturer in Orthopaedics & Paediatrics.
- Thiru R. Janakiraman Endowment Gold Medal
- Prof. Rathnavelu Subramaniam Oration Gold Medal
- Dr. K. Jagannathan Oration of Institute of Neurology
- 1952 MMC Batch Golden Jublie Reunion Prize
- Sakthi Prof. V.S. Natarajan.S. Geriatic Prize
- Dr. Lalitha Bai Fermicaler Endowment Scholarship
- Dr. V. Balasubramanian Oration of Inst. of Neurology
- Prof. A. L. Annamalai Gold Medal in Clinical Medicine for Final MBBS
- Dr. V.R. Thayumanaswamy Memorial Annual Oration
- Dr. S. Kalyanaraman Oration
- Dr. B. Ramamurthi Oration
- Dr. G. Arjundoss Oration
- Abdul Majeed Memorial Endowment
- Medicas 1982 Prize
- The Johnstone Gold Medal
- Dr. T.T. Ramalingam Memorial Gold Medal in ophthalmology.
- Dr. K.N Rai's Radiology Gold Medal
In the India Today ranking of medical colleges for 2011, Madras Medical College was ranked 18th India's Best Medical Colleges 2011, India Today.</ref>
Oh! Glorious Alma mater!
Oh, Gracious mother supreme
Oh, We, your grateful alumni
Of the past, present and future
Over here and across the seas
And Hail thee proudly
March on MMC.
Many have been our achievements
Many have been our accomplishments
Many have been our attainments
Many sadly too have been our losses
Many miseries have been our crosses
Many sorrows silently felt:
Regardless of all - march on MMC.
"Care for the sick" is thy duty
"Learn to heal" is thy motto
"Cure the illness" is thy aim
"Learn to help" is thy object.
May God bless this, our effort
May Goodwill, goodness prevail to
Conquer disease MMC.
March... March on... March on MMC.
Inter-college culturals are called REVIVALS and inter-medical sports are ENCIERRO. Intra-college culturals are called KALAIOMA.
- Dean of institution: Dr. V. Kanagasabai, M.D.
- Vice-Principal: Dr. A. Sundaram, M.D.
- Medical superintendent (hospital): Dr. V. Palani, M.S.
M.B.B.S.edededed Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery B.Pharm Bachelor of Pharmacy B.Sc (Nurs) Basic Bachelor of Science in Nursing B.Sc (Nurs) Post Bachelor of Science in Nursing B.P.T. Bachelor of Physiotherapy
Post Graduate Diplomas
D.G.O Diploma in Obstetrics and gynacology D.C.H Diploma in Child Health D.L.O Diploma in Oto-Rhino-Laryngology D.M.R.D Diploma in Medicine & Radio-Diagnosis D.M.R.T Diploma in Medicine and Radiation Therapy D.A Diploma in Anaesthesiology D.Ortho Diploma in Orthopaedics D.V Diploma in Venereology D.D Diploma in Dermatology D.O Diploma in Ophthalmology  D.T.R.D Diploma in Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases D.P.M Diploma in Psychiatric Medicine D.C.P Diploma in Clinical Pathology D.P.H Diploma in Public Health D.Lep Diploma in Leprosy D.Diab Diploma in Diabetology D.Phy.M Diploma in Physical Medicine
Post Graduate Degrees
M.D General Medicine M.D Anaesthesiology M.D Biochemistry M.D Community Medicine M.D Dermatology M.D Forensic Medicine M.D Geriatric Medicine M.D Microbiology M.D Paediatrics M.D Pathology M.D Pharmacology M.D Physiology M.D Psychiatric Medicine M.D Radio - Diagnosis M.D Radio - Therapy M.D Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases M.D Venereology M.D Obstetrics and Gynaecology M.S Anatomy M.S E.N.T. or Oto-Rhino-Laryngology M.S General Surgery M.S Ophthalmology M.S Orthopaedics M.Pharm Master of Pharmacy M.Sc (Nursing) Master of Science in Nursing
Postgraduate - super speciality degrees
D.M Neurology D.M Cardiology D.M Oncology D.M Rhematology D.M Gastro-Enterology D.M Nephrology D.M Clinical Haematology D.M Neonatology M.Ch Cardio-Thoracic Surgery M.Ch Genito-Urinary Surgery M.Ch Neuro Surgery M.Ch Paediatric Surgery M.Ch Plastic Surgery M.Ch Surgical Gastro-Enterology M.Ch Vascular Surgery
Admissions to the Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) and the postgraduate (MD, MS, other diplomas and other higher specialties) are through the Tamil Nadu state quota (for example, 85% of seats in the MBBS program) and through the National/Central quota (for example 15% of seats in the MBBS program). Reservations of seats and reduced tuition fees are available to the underserved communities in both quotas. Admissions are open only to Indian citizens and are highly competitive.
The MBBS program has 165 seats of student intake per year. About 1 in 40 applicants are accepted to the MBBS program statewide (about 1500 seats in 15 medical colleges throughout Tamil Nadu), and only the top-rankers among those accepted to the MBBS program statewide are admitted to the MMC since it ranks as the first medical school in the state of Tamil Nadu.
It consists of 85% of total number of seats; filled by the Directorate of Medical Education under the state Government of Tamil Nadu.
The state-level entrance exam was the TNPCEE (the Tamil Nadu Professional Course Entrance Examination) which was discontinued by the government of Tamil Nadu from 2007. Earlier, the admissions to the MBBS program were based on a weighted aggregate of the entrance exam and the high school final exam scores. Now, the admission is entirely based on the higher secondary school final exam scores and the seats are filled on the basis of inter-se merit ranking.
It consists of 15% of total number of seats of student intake per year.
The national level entrance exam is the All India PreMedical PreDental Examination (AI PM/PD test) which is conducted by CBSE. The seats under the Central quota are filled on the basis of the scores and ranking by the AI PM/PD test alone and do not take into consideration the High school final exam scores.
The B.Pharm program has 50 seats of student intake per year. Till now the total number of seats filled by the Directorate of Medical Education under the state Government of Tamil Nadu. All the selection procedure which is meant for M.B.B.S is same for B.pharm also excluding national/central quota.
The seats in the postgraduate programs (diploma and degree programs) are filled by:
- State level PG Entrance Exam
- National level PG Entrance Exam
Several seats (about 50% of the state quota seats) are reserved for physicians in the Tamil Nadu government service.
Classes (with year of entry)
Every class of MBBS students has assigned to itself an (unofficial) name denoting the year of their entry into the medical school.
The recent batches are:
- The Phoenix 82
- The "Sesqueessentials" 1984
- DangerousDocs 92
- Exoticans 94
- Cohorts 95
- Zealots 96
- Adroits 97
- Gallants 98
- Triumphants 99, "The Trendsetters"
- Genezens 2000 or Genezens 2k, "Born to Heal"
- Valiants 2001
- Xanthrons 2002, "One for All : All for One"
- Nimrotz 2003
- Zenolantz 2004
- Troezianz 2005,
- Krenoviantz 2006, "The Defenders of Mankind"
- Dravergonz 2007, "Energetic doctors"
- KnightZorroitZ 2008, "the crusaders for mankind"
- Ryzentronz 2009, "The Rise of New ReigN"
- Toddlers 2010
- Madras Medical College alumni
- PGIMER Chandigarh
- CMC Vellore
- List of medical colleges in India
- Official Website
- `Recalling the launch of Madras Medical School' - Indian Express
- The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University - Official website
- The Medical Council of India - Official website
- The Institute of Internal Medicine - Official website
- Barnard Institute of Radiology
- Regional Institute of Ophthalmology and Government Ophthalmic Hospital, Chennai - Official website
- A gazetteer of Southern India: with the Tenasserim Provinces and Singapore By Pharoah and Co, John Walker, Charles Walker
- MMC Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=18796867376
- Batch of 1992 Yahoo groups link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mmcalumni1992/
- The official website of MBBS 1983 batch
- The official website of MBBS 2007 batch
- ^ History of MMC
- ^ History of MMC
- ^ History of MMC
- ^ History of MMC
- ^ History of MMC
- ^ History of MMC
- ^ History of MMC
- ^ History of MMC
- ^ "Karunanidhi to lay foundation stone for MMC building", The Hindu, February 12, 2010.
- ^ "General Hospital to be named after Rajiv Gandhi", The Hindu, January 13, 2011.
- ^ 
- ^ Contact Us
- ^ "Dr M A Ansari (1880-1936) president, Madras, 1927". Congress Sandesh, Indian National Congress publication. http://www.congresssandesh.com/AICC/history/presidents/dr_m_a_ansari.htm.
Education in Tamil Nadu List of educational
institutions by districtsAriyalur · Chennai · Coimbatore · Cuddalore · Dharmapuri · Dindigul · Erode · Kanchipuram · Kanyakumari · Karur · Krishnagiri · Madurai · Nagapattinam · Namakkal · Nilgiris · Perambalur · Pudukkottai · Ramanathapuram · Salem · Sivagangai · Thanjavur · Theni · Thoothukudi · Tiruchirapalli · Tirunelveli · Tirupur · Tiruvallur · Tiruvannamalai · Tiruvarur · Vellore · Viluppuram · Virudhunagar
List of Public
UniversitiesAlagappa University · Anna University · Annamalai University · Bharathiar University · Bharathidasan University · Madurai Kamaraj University · Manonmaniam Sundaranar University · Mother Teresa Women's University · The Tamil Nadu Dr. M. G. R. Medical University · Tamil Nadu Dr. Ambedkar Law University · Tamil Nadu Agricultural University · Tamil Nadu Open University · Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University · Tamil University · Thiruvalluvar University · University of Madras
List of Private (Deemed)
UniversitiesAMET University · Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham · Avinashilingam University · Bharat University · B. S. Abdur Rahman University · Kalasalingam University · Karunya University · Dr. M.G.R. Educational and Research Institute · Periyar Maniammai University · Sathyabama University · Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy · Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute · SRM University · Vels University · Vinayaka Mission's Research Foundation, Deemed University · VIT University
List of Premier
InsititutesInstitute of Mathematical Sciences · IIT-Madras · Guindy Engineering College · Madras Institute of Technology · NIT-Trichy · IIM-Trichy · PSG College of Technology · Anna University · University of Madras · Central University · Tamil Nadu Agricultural University · Madras Medical College · Madras Christian College · Christian Medical College · Loyola College · ANJA College ·
Education in India Education in StatesAndhra Pradesh · Arunachal Pradesh · Assam · Bihar · Chhattisgarh · Delhi · Goa · Gujarat · Haryana · Himachal Pradesh · Jammu and Kashmir · Jharkhand · Karnataka · Kerala · Madhya Pradesh · Maharashtra · Manipur · Meghalaya · Mizoram · Nagaland · Orissa · Punjab · Rajasthan · Sikkim · Tamil Nadu · Tripura · Uttar Pradesh · Uttarakhand · West Bengal Educational institutions by statesAndhra Pradesh · Arunachal Pradesh · Assam · Bihar · Chhattisgarh · Delhi · Goa · Gujarat · Haryana · Himachal Pradesh · Jammu and Kashmir · Jharkhand · Karnataka · Kerala · Madhya Pradesh · Maharashtra · Manipur · Meghalaya · Mizoram · Nagaland · Orissa · Punjab · Rajasthan · Sikkim · Tamil Nadu · Tripura · Uttar Pradesh · Uttarakhand · West Bengal Educational institutions by cities Educational institutions by type
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Madras Christian College — Coordinates: 12°55′17″N 80°07′19″E / 12.921293°N 80.121971°E / 12.921293; 80.121971 … Wikipedia
Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata — Medical College,Kolkata Motto Cum Humanitate Scientia Established 1835 Type Medical College and Hospitals Principal Prof. (Dr.) Utpal Kumar Datta Location … Wikipedia
Medical college in India — For introductory information about medical schools and information about medical schools in other countries, see Medical school. In India, Medical College refers to an educational institution that provides medical education. These institutions… … Wikipedia
Medical College Kolkata — Infobox University name = Medical College Kolkata type = Medical College and Hospital established = 1835 principal = Prof. (Dr.) Indrajit Ray address = 88, College Street Kolkata 700073 West Bengal, India city = Kolkata country = India colors =… … Wikipedia
Madurai Medical College — Established 1954 Type Government Medical College and Hospital Dean Dr. A. Edwin Joe Management Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Tamilnadu Academic staff 20 … Wikipedia
Tirunelveli Medical College — திருநெல்வேலி மருத்துவக்கல்லூரி Motto Duty, Dignity, Discipline (கடமை, கண்ணியம், கட்டுப்பாடு) Established 1965 Type Government Medical College and Hospital Dean Dr. Manoharan, M.S … Wikipedia
Coimbatore Medical College — Established 1966 Type Autonomous(academic only) institute affiliated to the Tamilnadu Dr M G R Medical University Location Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India Campus … Wikipedia
Andhra Medical College — is one of the premier medical colleges in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India. AMC Motto : Ne Quid Nimis which means Let there be nothing in Excess HistoryThe recorded onset of medical education in Visakhapatnam can be traced back to the last… … Wikipedia
Mysore Medical College — Government Medical College, Mysore Medical College building (Front view) Established 1924 Type Government Medical College and Hospital Admin. staf … Wikipedia
Stanley Medical College — Infobox University name = Stanley Medical College native name = ஸ்டான்லி மருத்துவக் கல்லூரி latin name = motto = established = 1938 type = Public; Medical College and Hospitals endowment = staff = faculty = president = provost = principal =… … Wikipedia