- Minuteman Civil Defense Corps
The Minuteman Civil Defense Corps is a volunteer group headed by Chris Simcox and dedicated to preventing illegal crossings of the United States border. Arguing that the government is insufficiently concerned with securing the U.S. border, they have organized several state chapters, with the intention of providing law enforcement agencies with evidence of immigration law violations. Simcox states that the group merely reports incidents to law enforcement, and does not directly confront immigrants. There is a standard operating procedure (SOP) that must be followed by Minutemen volunteers. Rules include not speaking to, approaching, gesturing towards or having physical contact in any way with any suspected border crossers they may see. The organization has been criticized as being a right-wing militia. The MCDC is often confused with or thought to be affiliated with The Minuteman Project Inc., but the two groups are wholly distinct.
On March 15, 2010, Minuteman Civil Defense Corps President Carmen Mercer sent an e-mail to the group's members in which she stated, "For eight long years we Minutemen played nice; yet for the past eight years we firmly expressed our opinions and desires for the border to be secured. This muster will be completely different. President Barack Obama and John McCain have left us no choice. This March we return to the border locked, loaded and ready to stop each and every individual we encounter along the frontier that is now more dangerous than the frontier of Afghanistan." After receiving what she described as a "dramatic" response from members who promised to return to the border armed, Mercer called for the dissolution of the group on March 23 citing her concern of being held responsible should members fail to follow the proper "rules of engagement".
- ^ "About Us". http://www.minutemanhq.com/hq/aboutus.php. Retrieved 2006-07-09.
- ^ "MM Brochure". http://www.minutemanhq.com/pdf_files/minutemanbrochure.pdf. Retrieved 2006-07-22.
- ^ Standard Operating Procedure for Minuteman Civil Defense Corps
- ^ Ramirez, Anthony (2006-06-04). "Angry Exchanges, To and Fro, at Rally". NY Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/04/nyregion/04protest.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/R/Ramirez,%20Anthony
- ^ Gilchrist, Jim (2007-11-07). "The Minuteman Project is a separate and distinct organization". Immigration Headliner News. http://www.minutemanproject.com/newsmanager/templates/mmp.asp?articleid=231&zoneid=1
- ^ "Minuteman Civil Defense Corps announces dissolution/ March 31, 2010 / Sonoran News". Sonorannews.com. 2010-03-31. http://www.sonorannews.com/archives/2010/100331/ftpgMinuteman.html. Retrieved 2010-09-04.
- ^ Oppman, Patrick (2009-06-23). "Rogue Minutemen leader held in fatal home invasion". CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/23/arizona.slaying.minutemen. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Minuteman Project — Not to be confused with Minuteman Civil Defense Corps. The Minuteman Project is an activist organization started in April 2005 by a group of private individuals in the United States to monitor the United States – Mexico border s flow of… … Wikipedia
Connecticut Wing Civil Air Patrol — Associated Branches United States Air Force Executive Staff Commander Col Cassandra Huchko Vice Commander Lt Col Matthew J Valleau (Interim) Current Statistics … Wikipedia
United States Department of Defense — Department of Defense Department overview Formed August 10, 1949 (1949 08 10) … Wikipedia
United States Department of Homeland Security — DHS redirects here. For other uses, see DHS (disambiguation). United States Department of Homeland Security Agency overview Formed … Wikipedia
2006 United States immigration reform protests — Thousands gather in favor of immigrants rights in Nashville, Tennessee on March 29, 2006 In 2006, millions of people participated in protests over a proposed change to U.S. immigration policy. The protests began in response to proposed… … Wikipedia
Chris Simcox — (born 1961) is the American co founder of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps (MCDC) and the project s main spokesperson. He was formerly a kindergarten teacher at the Wildwood School in Los Angeles, California, where he taught for thirteen… … Wikipedia
Jim Gilchrist — Infobox Person name = Jim Gilchrist caption = Gilchrist at Minutemen rally, 2006 birth date = Birth date and age|1949|1|13 birth place = North Providence, Rhode Island, USA [http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/12/14/minuteman project… … Wikipedia
Immigration to the United States — 2000 Census Population Ancestry Map Immigration to the United States has been a major source of … Wikipedia
United States Border Patrol — For other uses of Border Patrol , see Border Patrol (disambiguation). United States Border Patrol Common name Border Patrol Abbreviation USBP … Wikipedia
Minutemen (disambiguation) — Minutemen may refer to: Minutemen, men from the Massachusetts militia Minutemen (anti Communist organization), headed by Robert DePugh Minutemen (band), a 1980s punk group Minutemen (comics), fictional superheroes in the Watchmen comic series… … Wikipedia