John Harvey House (Detroit, Michigan)


John Harvey House (Detroit, Michigan)

Infobox_nrhp | name =John Harvey House
nrhp_type =



caption =
location= Detroit, Michigan
lat_degrees = 42
lat_minutes = 20
lat_seconds = 30
lat_direction = N
long_degrees = 83
long_minutes = 3
long_seconds = 8
long_direction = W
locmapin = Michigan
area =
built =1887
architect= John V. Smith
architecture= Second Empire, Stick/Eastlake, Queen Anne
added = April 03, 1991
governing_body = Private
refnum=91000354cite web|url=http://www.nr.nps.gov/|title=National Register Information System|date=2008-04-15|work=National Register of Historic Places|publisher=National Park Service]

The John Harvey House is a home located at 97 Winder Street in Detroit, Michigan. It is now a bed and breakfast, operating under the name The Inn at 97 Winder.

History

John Harvey was a successful pharmacist in Detroit, but he is best known for his philanthropy in educating and feeding the city's poor children and orphans, beginning in the period just after the American Civil War and continuing into the early twentieth century. [http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/hso/sites/15679.htm John Harvey House] from the state of Michigan] Harvet established Detroit's Industrial school and later the Sabbath Mission School to educate indigent children.

John Harvey employed John V. Smith to design this house, located in what now is Detroit's Brush Park. John Harvey died in 1905, but his widow lived in the house into the 1920s. [http://www.theinnat97winder.com/history1.php From Little Paris to Brush Park,] from the Inn at 97 Winder] In the 20s, Jesse Hobbs, an automobile worker, purchased the home. In 1938, the structure was converted into a rooming house; some of the larger rooms were partitioned.

Description

The John Harvey House is constructed of red brick atop an ashlar foundation with a mansard roof. The facade features a center entrance and wooden brackets supporting the sills of the multi-storied towers and window bays. The house has 11,000 square feet, eight marble fireplaces, and three-story staircase.

Current use

The current owners purchased the John Harvey House in 1986, renovated the structure, and, in 2005, opened it as a 10-room guesthouse. [http://www.theinnat97winder.com/print/history.pdf The Largest Historic Mansion in Detroit's Brush Park Area Opens as a New, Prestigious Bed and Breakfast Inn] (press release)]

References


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.