- Agilent Technologies
Agilent Technologies Type Public S&P 500 Component Traded as NYSE: A Industry Electronic equipment
Founded 1999 (from HP) Headquarters Santa Clara, California
Oswego, Illinois, U.S.
Area served Worldwide Key people William P. Sullivan
(President), (CEO) & (Director)
Products Biological and chemical analysis equipment
Electronic analysis equipment
Revenue US$4.48 Billion (FY 2009) Operating income US$76.0 Million (FY 2009) Net income US$-31.0 Million (FY 2009) Total assets US$7.61 Billion (FY 2009) Total equity US$2.51 Billion (FY 2009) Employees ~18,500 - Nov 2010 Website Agilent.com References: 
Agilent Technologies (NYSE: A), or Agilent, is a company that designs and manufactures electronic and bio-analytical measurement instruments and equipment for measurement and evaluation. Agilent Technologies has a stock market capitalization of over 10 billion USD and the company's headquarters are in Santa Clara, California, in the Silicon Valley region.
Many of Agilent's predecessor product lines were developed by Hewlett-Packard, the American computing company founded in 1939. In 1999, the product lines not directly connected with computers, storage, and imaging were grouped into a separate company (Agilent), the stock of which was offered to the public in an initial public offering. The Agilent IPO may have been the largest in the history of Silicon Valley.
The company thus created in 1999 was an $8 billion company with about 47,000 employees, manufacturing scientific instruments, semiconductors, optical networking devices, and electronic test equipment for telecom and wireless R&D and production. In 2011, the company along with the University of California, Davis, announced that it would be establishing the Davis Millimeter Wave Research Center. 
Agilent's major product lines include:
- Test and measurement products such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, signal generators, spectrum analyzers, vector network analyzers, atomic force microscopes (AFM), automated optical inspection, automated X-ray inspection (5DX), in-circuit test, and electronic design automation (EDA) software (EEsof)
- Life science and chemical analysis products such as DNA microarrays, HPLCs, remanufactured test equipment with discounts ranging from 20% to 50%.
- In addition to measuring hardware, Agilent has generated and offers comprehensive chemical databases. In January 2009 it announced the availability of a pesticide database covering 1600 compounds, with accurate mass information for each. It also announced the proximate release of similar databases for toxicology and drugs of abuse such as proximite, cannabis, and caffeine.
Research and development
HP labs was divided into two central labs when Agilent was carved out of HP in 1999. Both laboratories have had distinct success throughout the years including development in X-ray technology, traffic monitoring, and liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry.
The majority of the Labs research is located in the United States in Santa Clara, California, with additional locations in Europe (Belgium, France, and the UK) and in Asia.
In 2001, Agilent Technologies sold its health care and medical products organization to Philips Medical Systems. HP Medical Products had been the second oldest part of Hewlett-Packard, acquired in the 1950s. Only the original founding test and measurement organization was older.
In August 2005, Agilent Technologies announced the sale of its Semiconductor Products Group, which produced light-emitting diode, radio frequency and mixed-signal integrated circuits, to Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., and Silver Lake Partners. The group operated as a privately run company, Avago Technologies, until August 2009, when it was brought public in an IPO. It continues to operate under the same name as a publicly traded corporation. Agilent also sold its 47% stake in the light-emitting diode manufacturer Lumileds to Philips Electronics for just under $1 billion. Lumileds originally started as Hewlett-Packard's optoelectronics division.
Also in August 2005, Agilent announced a plan to divest its semiconductor test solutions business, composed of both the system-on-chip and memory test market areas. Agilent listed the new company as Verigy, mid-2006 on NASDAQ.
In 2009 Agilent announced the closure of a subsection of its Test & Measurement division. The product lines affected included the automated optical inspection, solder paste inspection, and automated X-ray products [5DX]. In 2004 Agilent reported that it had captured 19% of the US$244 million (excluding Japan) global imaging inspection market. On July 27, 2009 Agilent announced they would buy Varian, Inc., for US$1.5 billion. In November 2009, Agilent sold the N2X product line to IXIA. In February, 2010 Agilent announced the selling of its Network Solutions Division to JDSU for US$162 million.
- Laboratory equipment
- Strand Life Sciences
- ^ http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Agilent.Technologies.630-551-4211
- ^ a b c Agilent Technologies (A) annual SEC income statement filing via Wikinvest
- ^ a b Agilent Technologies (A) annual SEC balance sheet filing via Wikinvest
- ^ "Financial Statements for Agilent Technologies Inc.". Google Finance. http://finance.google.com/finance?fstype=bi&q=NYSE:A. Retrieved 2008-08-03.
- ^ "Agilent Products & Services". http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/commonlanding.jspx?lc=eng&cc=US. Retrieved 2008-08-03.
- ^ "Financial Statements for Agilent Technologies Inc.". Agilent Technologies. http://www.agilent.com/about/newsroom/presrel/2010/12nov-gp10024.html. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- ^ Arensman, Russ. "Unfinished business: managing one of the biggest spin-offs in corporate history would be a challenge even in the best of times. But what Agilent's Ned Barnholt got was the worst of times. (Cover Story)." Electronic Business 28.10 (Oct 2002): 36(6).
- ^ Nicolas Mokhoff, EE Times. "Agilent and UC Davis form millimeter research center." August 3, 2011. Retrieved August 5, 2011.
- ^ Chemical & Engineering News, 19 Jan. 2008, "Mass Spectrometer Takes Flight", p. 66
- ^ "Agilent Research Laboratories Fact Book">
- ^ "HP Lab splits">Press Announcement from Agilent
- ^ "Agilent Labs Timeline">
- ^ Agilent Trade News Nov 2004
- Agilent Technologies
- Agilent Premium Used Equipment
- Agilent Premium Trade-in Solutions
- Agilent N2X
- Patents assigned to Agilent Technologies via US Patent and Trademark Office (2881 patents as of Feb 14, 2007)
- Agilent Discussion Forum Agilent Discussion Forum
- Agilent Press Releases
- Yahoo! - Agilent Technologies, Inc. Company Profile
- Agilent and HP History Links
- Agilent Technologies exhibiting at Functional Genomics and Disease 2010
Hewlett-Packard Company founders Board of Directors Executive Officers Computer hardware products Consumer electronics and accessories Other divisions Software Discontinued products Closed Division HP CEOs AssetsHP Garage • HP Labs See also References
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Agilent Technologies — Rechtsform Aktiengesellschaft Gründung 1999 Sit … Deutsch Wikipedia
Agilent Technologies — Logo de Agilent Technologies Création 1999 Personnages clés William P. Sullivan, PDG et President … Wikipédia en Français
Agilent — Technologies (NYSE: A) , kurz auch Agilent, ist ein amerikanisches Technologieunternehmen mit Sitz in Santa Clara, Kalifornien. Es beschreibt sich selbst als Entwickler, Hersteller und Anbieter von Geräten, Systemen und Lösungen in den Bereichen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Agilent — Technologies Agilent Technologies Création 1999 Personnages clés William P. S … Wikipédia en Français
Agilent VEE — VEE is a visual programming and dataflow programming language and development environment from Agilent Technologies. It is optimized to use with data acquisition devices like digital voltmeters and oscilloscopes, and source devices like arbitrary … Wikipedia
Agilent VEE — VEE Entwickler: Agilent Technologies Aktuelle Version: 9.2 (23.04.2010) Betriebssystem: Windows 2000/XP/Vista Lizenz: kommerziell … Deutsch Wikipedia
Avago Technologies — Infobox Company company name = Avago Technologies company company type = Private Ownership company slogan = foundation = 2005 location = key people = Hock E. Tan, CEO num employees = 6500 industry = Semiconductors products = analog revenue =… … Wikipedia
Avago Technologies — Das Logo des Unternehmens Avago Technologies ist ein amerikanisches Unternehmen, welches vor seinem Spin off der Produktbereich Halbleiter von HP und später Agilent war. Es besitzt mehr als 2.000 Patente. Inhaltsverzeichnis … Deutsch Wikipedia
Microwave power meter — A microwave power meter is an instrument which measures the electrical power at microwave frequencies. Usually a microwave power meter will consist of a measuring head which contains the actual power sensing element, connected via a cable to the… … Wikipedia
Hewlett-Packard — Coordinates: 37°24′49″N 122°08′42″W / 37.413579°N 122.14508°W / 37.413579; 122.14508 HP red … Wikipedia