- Cocoa Woodcreeper
Cocoa Woodcreeper Conservation status Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Aves Order: Passeriformes Family: Furnariidae Genus: Xiphorhynchus Species: X. susurrans Binomial name Xiphorhynchus susurrans
- Dendrocolaptes susurrans
- Xiphorhynchus guttatus (partim)
The Cocoa Woodcreeper (Xiphorhynchus susurrans) is a passerine bird which breeds in tropical Central and South America in Trinidad, Tobago, northern Colombia and northern Venezuela. It was formerly considered a subspecies of the Buff-throated Woodcreeper (X. guttatus).
It is typically 23 cm long, and weighs 37 g. The head and neck are buff-streaked dark brown, the upper back is liver-brown, and the rest of the upperparts, wings and tail are rufous. The underparts are olive-brown with buff streaks on the breast. The bill is long, black, slightly decurved, and hooked at the tip. The normal call is a loud kew-kew-kew-kew.
This woodcreeper is a common and widespread bird of forests and cultivated land with trees. It builds a bark-lined nest in a tree hole or hollow stump and lays two white eggs. The Cocoa Woodcreeper is an insectivore which feeds on ants and other insects and spiders. It feeds low in trees or on the ground, usually alone, but groups of up to a dozen birds will follow columns of army ants.
The Cocoa Woodcreeper was formerly included in the larger Buff-throated Woodcreeper, X. guttatus but has been recognized as specifically distinct. Eight subspecies are normally recognized, falling into two groups. It is not quite clear how these are related to each other and to the Buff-throated Woodcreeper.
- "susurrans" group
- X. s. susurrans (Jardine, 1847) - Trinidad Cocoa Woodcreeper. Trinidad and Tobago, sometimes straying to the mainland.
- X. s. jardinei (Dalmas, 1900) - Eastern Cocoa Woodcreeper. NE Venezuela.
- X. s. margaritae Phelps, Sr. & Phelps, Jr., 1949 - Margarita Cocoa Woodcreeper. Isla Margarita.
- "nanus" group
- X. s. nanus (Lawrence, 1863) - Southern Lawrence's/Cocoa Woodcreeper. Coastward areas of E Panama south to Tolima Department, Colombia, and east to Miranda, Venezuela.
- X. s. costaricensis (Ridgway, 1888) - Central Lawrence's/Cocoa Woodcreeper. Coastward areas from SE Honduras to W Panama.
- X. s. confinis (Bangs, 1903) - Northern Lawrence's/Cocoa Woodcreeper. Caribbean slope of E Guatemala and N Honduras.
- X. s. rosenbergi Bangs, 1910 - Cauca Lawrence's/Cocoa Woodcreeper. Upper Cauca Valley, Colombia
- X. s. marginatus Griscom, 1927 - South Panamanian Lawrence's/Cocoa Woodcreeper. Pacific slope of C Panama.
- ffrench, Richard (1991). A Guide to the Birds of Trinidad and Tobago (2nd edition ed.). Comstock Publishing. ISBN 0-8014-9792-2.
- Hilty, Steven L (2003). Birds of Venezuela. London: Christopher Helm. ISBN 0-7136-6418-5.
- Remsen, J. Van (2003): 33. Cocoa Woodcreeper. In: del Hoyo, Josep; Elliott, Andrew & Sargatal, Jordi (editors): Handbook of Birds of the World, Volume 6: Broadbills to Tapaculos: 430-431, plate 35. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. ISBN 84-87334-50-4
- Dendrocolaptes susurrans
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
cocoa woodcreeper — rusvasis kalavijasnapis kopikas statusas T sritis zoologija | vardynas atitikmenys: lot. Xiphorhynchus susurrans angl. cocoa woodcreeper vok. Kleiner Fahlkehl Baumsteiger, m pranc. grimpar cacao, m ryšiai: platesnis terminas – kalavijasnapiai… … Paukščių pavadinimų žodynas
Woodcreeper — Woodcreepers Cocoa Woodcreeper Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia … Wikipedia
Buff-throated Woodcreeper — Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 3.1) Scientific classification … Wikipedia
Lafresnaye's Woodcreeper — Lafesnaye s Woodcreeper D. g. eytoni Conservation status NR … Wikipedia
List of birds of Colombia — This is a list of the bird species recorded in Colombia. The avifauna of Colombia includes a total of 1895 species, of which 74 are endemic, 2 have been introduced by humans, and 87 are rare or accidental. 1 species listed is extirpated in… … Wikipedia
List of birds of Venezuela — This is a list of the bird species recorded in Venezuela. The avifauna of Venezuela includes a total of 1417 species, of which 48 are endemic, 6 have been introduced by humans, and 34 are rare or accidental. 27 species are globally… … Wikipedia
List of birds of Suriname — This is a list of the bird species recorded in Suriname. The avifauna of Suriname includes a total of 720 species, of which 1 is endemic, 1 has been introduced by humans, and 5 are rare or accidental. 1 species listed is extirpated in Suriname… … Wikipedia
List of birds of French Guiana — This is a list of the bird species recorded in French Guiana. The avifauna of French Guiana includes a total of 750 species, of which 4 are endemic, 2 have been introduced by humans, and 156 are rare or accidental.This list s taxonomic treatment… … Wikipedia
Dendrocolaptidé — Dendrocolaptidae Dendrocolaptidés … Wikipédia en Français
Grimpar — Dendrocolaptidae Dendrocolaptidés … Wikipédia en Français