- Rajkumar Singhajit Singh
name = Rajkumar Singhajit Singh
birth_date = birth date and age|1931|5|1
occupation = Classical Indian dancer (
Manipuri dance), choreographer, scholar
website = http://www.manipuri-dance.com/index.htm
Rajkumar Singhajit Singh, (born
May 1, 1935) is a leading exponent, choreographerand a guruof Indian classical danceform of Manipuri, including the Pung cholomand Raslila[ [http://www.tribuneindia.com/2000/20000926/ldh2.htm#3 Rich traditions from the East] The Tribune, September 26, 2000] . He was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Awardin 1984 [ [http://www.sangeetnatak.com/programmes_recognition&honours_dance_cdc.html Official list of awardees - Creative Dance/Choreography] the Sangeet Natak AkademiOfficial website.] and the Padma Shriin 1986 for his contribution to the Manipuri dance.
Guru Singhajit Singh and his wife Charu Sija Mathur, who is also a
Sangeet Natak Akademi Awardrecipient, have established, "Manipuri Nrityashram", a Manipuri danceschool, in New Delhi.
Rajkumar Singhajit Singh was born in a family pf dancers and musicians in
Manipur. Early in life, he was fortunate to receive his dance education from the finest gurus of Manipuri dance, starting with ‘Guru Ojha Iboton Singh’ (1942-46) for Pung (drum), followed by ‘Guru Amubi Singh’ (1948-54) – Jagoi; ‘Guru Thambal Angou Singh’ (1950-52) - Kartal Chalom; ‘Guru Chauba Singh’ (1952-53) - Kartal Chalom; and with ‘Guru Ojha Gaura Singh’ (1952-53) from whom he learned the martial arts with Sword & Spear , and soon established himself as a dancer, choreographer and artist of repute [ [http://www.indianexpress.com/res/web/pIe/ie/daily/19990729/ile29147.html Wedded to Dance] Indian Express, July 29, 1999.]
Triveni Kala Sangam, New Delhi, in 1954, as Head of the Manipur Dance Section, and later in 1962, founded the ‘Triveni Ballet’ of which he was Director and Principal Dancer .
Over the year, he and his dance troupe, have extensively travelled to several countries in Europe, the former USSR, North and South America, Japan, West Asia and Africa . Their recent choreography, "Ashta Nayika", has received wide recognition, from both viewers and critics alike [ [http://www.thehindu.com/fr/2008/08/01/stories/2008080150310200.htm From zero to ten in a step]
The Hindu, Aug 1, 2008."...Choreographer Singhajit Singh’s "Ashta Nayika", in a freshly conceived interlacing of the Nata Sankirtan and rasa, was a delight." - Leela Venkatraman. ] [ [http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/07/25/stories/2008072550380300.htm Celestial numbers] The Hindu, July 25, 2008.]
* Homi Bhabha Fellowship (1976-1978) [ [http://web1.mtnl.net.in/~hbfc/fellows.html Homi Bhabha Fellowship, List of Fellows] # 34. 1976-1978.] [http://mumbai.mtnl.net.in/~hbfc/cv/DR_R_K_SINGHAJIT_SINGH.html DR. R.K. Singhajit Singh Profile] Homi Bhabha Fellowship Council, Mumbai, Fellowship:1976-1978.]
Sangeet Natak Akademi Award(1984)
* Delhi Sahitya Kala Parishad Award (1975)
* Fellow of Manipur State Kala Academy
* Manipur Sahitya Parishad Nritya Award (1975)
* Nritya Choodamani from Chennai
* Doctor of Letters (hon) – North Eastern Hills University.
*"Manipuri" by R K Singhajit Singh, "Dances of India" series, 2004, Wisdom Tree, ISBN 81-86685-15-4. [http://www.indiaclub.com/shop/SearchResults.asp?ProdStock=12426]
* [http://www.kanglaonline.com/index.php?template=kshow&kid=33& The Martial Arts of Asia: Eliminating Violence]
* [http://www.manipuri-dance.com/index.htm Guru R.K. Singhajit Singh, Charu Sija Mathur website]
* [http://www.anandfoundation.com/zz_manipuri.asp An interview with R K Singhajit Singh And Charu Sija Mathur]
* [http://video.webindia123.com/interviews/dancers/classical/gurusinghajitsingh/index.htm R K Singhajit Singh on Manipuri Dance]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Meitei people — Meitei redirects here. For the predominant language of Manipur, see Meitei language. Meitei people Total population 1,648,000 Regions with significa … Wikipedia
Sangeet Natak Akademi Award — Infobox Indian Awards awardname = Sangeet Natak Akademi Award type = category = Performing arts instituted = 1954 firstawarded = lastawarded = 2007 total = awardedby = Govt. of India cashaward = description = Highest award for performing arts in… … Wikipedia
Manipuri dance — Manipuri Manipuri dancers Genre Indian classical Country India v … Wikipedia