- Stephan Kinsella
Norman Stephan Kinsella (born 1965) is an American intellectual property lawyer and libertarian legal theorist. His electronically published works are primarily published on his blog and websites associated with the Ludwig von Mises Institute and anarcho-capitalist organizations.
Born in Prairieville, Louisiana, he attended Louisiana State University where he earned Bachelor of Science (BS) and Master of Science (MS) degrees in electrical engineering, and a Juris Doctor (JD) from the Paul M. Hebert Law Center. He also obtained an LL.M. at the University of London.
Career in law
Kinsella is general counsel of Applied Optoelectronics, Inc. of Sugar Land, Texas. A practicing intellectual property attorney and former adjunct professor of law at South Texas College of Law, where he taught computer law, Kinsella is actively involved with libertarian legal and political theory, and is an adjunct scholar of the Mises Institute as well as the former Book Review Editor for the Institute's Journal of Libertarian Studies. He is also a contributor to the news and opinion blog at LewRockwell.com and is the creator of Libertarian Papers, a peer-reviewed online journal published under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
He writes that, after college, he "began to put more emphasis on Austrian economics and paleolibertarian insights of Rothbard, Hans-Hermann Hoppe, and Rockwell."
Kinsella's legal publications include books and articles about patent law, contract law, e-commerce law, international law and other topics. Kinsella has also published and lectured on a variety of libertarian topics, often combining libertarian and legal analysis. Kinsella's views on contract theory, causation and the law, intellectual property, and rights theory (in particular his estoppel theory) are his main contributions to libertarian theory.
In contract theory, he extends Murray Rothbard's and Williamson Evers's title transfer theory of contract linking it with inalienability theory while also attempting to clarify that theory. Kinsella advances a theory of causation that attempts to explain why remote actors can be liable under libertarian theory. He gives non-utilitarian arguments for intellectual property being incompatible with libertarian property rights principles. He offers a discourse ethics argument for the justification of individual rights, using an extension of the concept of estoppel.
- Protecting Foreign Investment Under International Law: Legal Aspects of Political Risk (with Paul E. Comeaux). Oceana Publications, 1997. ISBN 978-0379213713
- Online Contract Formation (with Andrew Simpson). Oxford University Press, 2004. ISBN 978-0379215199
- International Investment, Political Risk, and Dispute Resolution: A Practitioner's Guide (with Noah Rubins). Oxford University Press, 2005. ISBN 978-0379215229
- Against Intellectual Property. Ludwig von Mises Institute, 2008. ISBN 978-1933550329
- ^ Kinsella, Stephan. "Welcome to Libertarian Papers. LibertarianPapers.org. 22 January 2009. 
- ^ "Stephan Kinsella." StephanKinsella.com
- ^ Rothbard, Murray. The Ethics of Liberty Auburn, AL: Ludwig von Mises Institute.
- ^ Evers, Williamson. "Toward a Reformulation of the Law of Contracts." Journal of Libertarian Studies. Vol. 1, No. 1. Auburn, AL: Ludwig von Mises Institute, 1977.
- ^ Kinsella, Stephan. "A Libertarian Theory of Contract: Title Transfer, Binding Promises, and Inalienability. Journal of Libertarian Studies. Vol 17, No 2. Auburn, Alabama: Ludwig von Mises Institute, 2003. pp. 11–37.
- ^ Kinsella, Stephan. "Causation and Aggression" Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics. Vol. 7, No. 4. Auburn, AL: Ludwig von Mises Institute, 2004.
- ^ Kinsella, Stephan. "Against Intellectual Property" Journal of Libertarian Studies. Vol. 15, No. 2. Auburn, AL: Ludwig von Mises Institute, 2001.
- ^ Kinsella, Stephan. "A Libertarian Theory of Punishment and Rights" StephanKinsella.com.
- KinsellaLaw, Stephan Kinsella's legal website
- StephanKinsella.com, Stephan Kinsella's libertarian website
- List of publications
- Archive of Kinsella commentary from LewRockwell.com
- Symposium: "Do patents and copyrights undermine private property?" Ilana Mercer, Stephan Kinsella, and James DeLong. Insight on the News. 21 May 2001.
Anarcho-capitalism Features Anarchism Schools of
thoughtBuddhist · Capitalist · Christian · Collectivist · Communist · Egoist · Existentialist · Feminist · Green · Immediatist · Individualist · Info · Insurrectionary · Leftist · Mutualist · National · Naturist · Nihilist · Pacifist · Philosophical · Platformist · Post-anarchism · Post-colonial · Post-left · Primitivist · Queer · Social · Syndicalist · Synthesist · Vegan · Without adjectives
practiceAnarchy · Black bloc · Class struggle · Communes · Co-operatives · Counter-economics · Direct action · Direct democracy · Expropriative anarchism · Economics · Especifismo · Individualism · individual reclamation · Ilegalism · Propaganda of the deed · Self-ownership · Social ecology · Spontaneous order · Synthesism · Squatting · Workers' self-management
PeopleWilliam Godwin · Josiah Warren · Max Stirner · Lysander Spooner · Johann Most · Pierre-Joseph Proudhon · Mikhail Bakunin · Henry David Thoreau · Peter Kropotkin · Errico Malatesta · Benjamin Tucker · Emma Goldman · Alexander Berkman · Émile Armand · Rudolf Rocker · Volin · Murray Bookchin · Noam Chomsky · John Zerzan · Colin Ward · Alfredo Maria Bonanno Issues HistoryAmakasu Incident · Anarchist Catalonia · Anarchist Exclusion Act · Australian Anarchist Centenary Celebrations · Barcelona May Days · Escuela Moderna · Hague Congress · Haymarket affair · High Treason Incident · Revolutionary Insurrectionary Army of Ukraine · International Anarchist Congress of Amsterdam · Kate Sharpley Library · Kronstadt rebellion · Labadie Collection · LIP · Manifesto of the Sixteen · May 1968 in France · May Day · Paris Commune · Spanish Revolution · Tragic Week Culture Economics By region Lists Related topicsAnti-capitalism · Anti-Communism · Anti-consumerism · Anti-corporatism · Anti-fascism · Anti-globalization · Antimilitarism · Anti-statism · Anti-war · Autarchism · Autonomism · Labour movement · Left Communism · Libertarianism · Libertarian socialism · Situationist International · Transcendental Students
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Stephan Kinsella — Nacimiento 1965 Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Kinsella — is the name of:*Brooke Kinsella, British actress *Eamonn Kinsella, Irish athlete *John Kinsella, Australian writer *Mike Kinsella, American musician *Noël Kinsella, Canadian senator *Sophie Kinsella, British author *Stephan Kinsella, American… … Wikipedia
Non-aggression principle — Part of a series on Libertarianism … Wikipedia
Anarcho-capitalism — Part of the Politics series on Anarchism … Wikipedia
Intellectual property — This article is about the legal concept. For the 2006 film, see Intellectual Property (film). Intellectual property law Primary rights … Wikipedia
Anti-copyright — The symbol of Kopimi, an anti copyright initiative developed by the Piratbyrån, a Swedish organization actively opposing modern copyright law and practices, and the previous operators of BitTorrent tracker The Pirate Bay, before it was spun off… … Wikipedia
Ludwig von Mises Institute — Motto Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito (Latin: Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it) Founder(s) Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr. Established … Wikipedia
Murray Rothbard — Murray Newton Rothbard Rothbard circa 1994 Full name Murray Newton Rothbard Born March 2, 1926(1926 03 02) Bronx, New York, United States Died … Wikipedia
Milton Friedman — Chicago School of Economics Born July 31, 1912(1912 07 31) Brooklyn, New York … Wikipedia
Natural and legal rights — Inalienable redirects here. For the 2008 film, see InAlienable. For the concept of alienation in property law, see Alienation (property law). Rights Theoretical distinctions … Wikipedia