- Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel
Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel Location United States Address One Market Place
San Diego, California
Hotel chain Global Hyatt Corporation Coordinates Coordinates: Opening date 1992 Developer Doug Manchester Architect Skidmore, Owings and Merrill Management Hyatt Owner Doug Manchester Rooms 1,625 Restaurants Sally's Seafood on the Water
Top of the Hyatt
Redfield's Sports Bar / Deli
Floors 40 Total height 151.4 m (497 ft) Website manchestergrand.hyatt.com References: 
Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel is a high-rise building in San Diego composed of two towers. The towers are the third and seventh tallest buildings in the city. Developed but no longer owned by the controversial San Diego developer, Doug Manchester, the tower is the tallest building on the waterfront on the West Coast, and with 1,625 rooms, it is Southern California's largest hotel. Because of its proximity to the waterfront, as well as its amenities, the Manchester Grand Hyatt is referred to as a spa and resort.
The Manchester Grand Hyatt consists of two towers, the 40-story Harbor Tower built in 1992 and the 33-story Seaport Tower which was added in 2003, prompted by the positive response to the space already allocated for private meetings. A four-story building with a rooftop pool connects the towers to each other. The hotel's 1,625 guest rooms each have partial water or city views, and many offer panoramic vistas of the Pacific Ocean. All rooms are equipped with Wi-Fi Internet access, and iPod docking stations.
The hotel has two bars: the Top of the Hyatt and the Grand Lobby Bar. The third floor holds the hotel pool and the Kin Spa.
Top of the Hyatt
The 40th and top floor of the Manchester Grand Hyatt is known as the Top of the Hyatt. Instead of a traditional penthouse suite, former hotel owner Doug Manchester decided to create an upscale bar with panoramic views of San Diego, Coronado Island, and Mexico. The bar was awarded the title of "Best Upscale Bar" by SignOnSanDiego, and is considered, "an unparalleled spot from which to watch the sunset."
Kin Oasis is the new adult-only pool (ages 21 above) located on the third floor of Harbor Tower. The rooftop pool, described as "upscale", includes bottle service, cabana rentals, and hosts large pool parties on holiday weekends in conjunction with Fortune Industries.
The Manchester Grand Hyatt is located on the Gaslamp Quarter’s waterfront, a few blocks away from the Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village, as well as the San Diego Convention Center. The San Diego Trolley stops near the hotel which connects to several lines to reach the majority of the San Diego metropolitan area. The hotel is located less than a mile from Petco Park, an Amtrak train station, and Woodbury University's San Diego campus.
Proposition 8 controversy
Doug Manchester, chairman of Manchester Financial Group, sparked controversy in 2008 when he backed California's Proposition 8 with financial support in the amount of $125,000. The money was donated before Proposition 8 was a ballot initiative. Before a proposition can be officially placed on a ballot for voter consideration, 700,000 signatures need to be gathered. Supporters of the proposition used the $125,000 Manchester donated to pay professionals to acquire signatures in an effort to solidify the initiative's place on the ballot. When asked about his contribution, Manchester was quoted as saying, "When they say that we cannot say that a marriage is between a man and a woman, that's where I draw the line." While Manchester has admitted that he "supports" his employees who are gay and lesbian, he cites the fact that he is Catholic as a motivation behind his actions.
The support caused an immediate response from gay-rights organizations, including GLAAD, which canceled all events planned for the hotel. Labor unions, including Hotel Workers Union Local 30, publicly admonished Manchester for his actions, with one member describing Proposition 8 as "pure and simple discrimination." In addition, a boycott from Proposition 8 protesters quickly followed. The boycott was originally intended to last one year, but subsequent protests of other Hyatt locations continued after that duration. Also in turn some gay and lesbian employees of the hotel resigned in protest.
When Manchester was the owner of the Manchester Grand Hyatt, the Global Hyatt Corporation attempted to separate his views from that of the managing corporation. Global Hyatt contended that Manchester did not speak on its behalf and that the corporation has a proven history of supporting gay and lesbian rights. In addition, the Global Hyatt Corporation issued a statement that asserts many Hyatt hotels, including the Manchester Grand Hyatt, offer benefits to domestic partners of employees, which is optional for businesses. Californians Against Hate, a gay-rights activist group, has estimated that the boycott resulted in a loss of over $7 million, despite Manchester's attempt to reach out to the gay community with room credits and donations. The marketing manager for the hotel, Kelly Commerford, has confirmed that cancellations resulting directly from the protest cost the hotel $2.4 million. This figure does not include estimates for those who choose other accommodations due to the boycott. The developer, Manchester, claimed that the boycotting unions are using gay marriage support as a screen "to cover [their] real goal of organizing" the hotel's workers.
The hotel was sold near the end of May 2011 to Host Hotels and Resorts, thus severing Manchester's financial ties to it.
- ^ Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel at Emporis
- ^ Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel at SkyscraperPage
- ^ Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel at Structurae
- ^ Fred Karger (July 18, 2009). "First Anniversary of Boycott Against Doug Manchester". The Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fred-karger/first-anniversary-of-boyc_b_239054.html. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- ^ "Make a Grand Entrance - Rappel 33 Stories from the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego". The California Chronicle. http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/view/109434. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ a b "Manchester Grand Hyatt". The San Diego Union-Tribune. http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/places/manchester-grand-hyatt/. Retrieved 2009-07-20. [dead link]
- ^ "Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego". San Diego Convention & Visitors Bureau. http://www.sandiego.org/listing/Visitors/2775. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ "Expanded Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego now is hotel on Southern California coast". Los Angeles Business Journal. 2004-07-05. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-22087866_ITM. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ "Lounges/Bars". Hyatt Corporation. http://manchestergrand.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/entertainment/lounges/index.jsp. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ "New Year's Eve". The Union-Tribune. http://www.signonsandiego.com/feature/495/nye/hotels.html. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ "Top of the Hyatt - Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego". San Diego Convention & Visitors Bureau. http://www.sandiego.org/listing/Visitors/1585. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ Reynolds, Christopher. "San Diego Nightlife Spots". The Los Angeles Times. http://travel.latimes.com/destinations/san-diego/nightlife-spots/top-of-the-hyatt/review. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ Chinn, Derrik. "Kin Lounge". The San Diego Union-Tribune. http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/places/kin-lounge/. Retrieved 2009-07-20. [dead link]
- ^ "Kin Lounge". NapkinNights. http://sd.napkinnights.com/vd/kin_lounge. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ "Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel San Diego". Hotels Combined. http://www.hotelscombined.com/Hotel/Manchester_Grand_Hyatt_Hotel_San_Diego.htm. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ "Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego". GoThere. http://arestravel.com/372_hotel-location-info_h100.html. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ a b "Papa Doug Manchester". http://www.dougmanchester.com/. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ Lamb, John R.. "Bonnie vs. the Manchester Hyatt". San Diego CityBeat. http://www.sdcitybeat.com/cms/story/detail/bonnie_vs_the_manchester_hyatt/7772/. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ Ainsworth, Bill. "Developer is foe of same-sex marriage". The San Diego Union-Tribune. http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080315-9999-1m15samesex.html. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ a b "Gay Rights Leaders Urge Boycott Of Manchester Grand Hyatt". CNN. http://www.10news.com/news/16848234/detail.html. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ "Protestors Plan New Year Of Manchester Boycott". CBS8. http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=10747593. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ Wockner, Rex. "NY Governor Introduces Bill to Legalize Same-Sex Marriage". The San Francisco Bay Times. http://www.sfbaytimes.com/?sec=article&article_id=10525. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ "San Diego Hyatt Update". National School Boards Association. http://www.nsba.org/conference/hotel/hyatt_update.cfm. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ Michaelson, Elex. "Manchester Grand Hyatt Reaches Out to Gay Groups; Boycott Continues". San Diego 6. http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Manchester-Grand-Hyatt-Reaches-Out-to-Gay-Groups/yeveNOls6EejuVRdjLvgLg.cspx. Retrieved 2009-07-20. [dead link]
- ^ a b Lewis, Connie. "Union Local Fears Loss of Jobs If Grand Hyatt Is Sold". San Diego Business Journal. http://www.sdbj.com/industry_article.asp?aID=77915344.420788.1719497.2939526.5791829.446&aID2=132260. Retrieved 2009-07-29. [dead link]
- ^ . 2011-03-24. http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2011/03/24/host-hotels-resorts-closes-on.html.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel — Localisation Coordonnées … Wikipédia en Français
Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel — [[Archivo:ManchesterGrandHyattTowerSanDiegoApr09.jpg |240px]] Edificio … Wikipedia Español
Hyatt (entreprise) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Hyatt. Hyatt Hotels Corporation Création 1957 Act … Wikipédia en Français
Riverwalk Hotel Detroit — Parke Davis Research Laboratory U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark … Wikipedia
Rascacielos en San Diego — Anexo:Rascacielos en San Diego Saltar a navegación, búsqueda … Wikipedia Español
Anexo:Rascacielos en San Diego — Centro de San Diego en noviembre de 2008 San Diego es la segunda ciudad más grande de Cali … Wikipedia Español
Список самых высоких зданий Сан-Диего — Центр Сан Диего, вид с воздуха ноябрь 2008 … Википедия
Protests against Proposition 8 supporters — Protests against Proposition 8 supporters, including the Roman Catholic church and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints (LDS Church), which collaboratively campaigned in favor of California s Proposition 8 through volunteer and… … Wikipedia
Liste des plus hauts gratte-ciel de San Diego — Depuis la construction de l Executive Complex en 1963, 31 immeubles de 100 mètres de hauteur et plus ont été construits à San Diego dans le sud de la Californie One America Plaza … Wikipédia en Français
Seaport Village — es un complejo comercial y de restaurantes con vista a la bahía de San Diego, California. Seaport Village alberga a más de 70 tiendas, galeras, comiderías en 90,000 pies cuadrados (8,000 m2) de paseo marítimo. La Villa o Village en inglés alberga … Wikipedia Español