- Chairs Missing
Chairs Missing Studio album by Wire Released August 1978 Recorded 1978 Genre Post-punk Length 42:27 Label Harvest Records
Restless Records (1989 release)
Pinkflag (2006 CD reissue)
4 Men With Beards (2006 vinyl reissue)
Producer Mike Thorne Wire chronology Pink Flag
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Pitchfork Media (10.0/10.0)
Although it shares a punk-derived "outsider" voice with the band's debut, Pink Flag, it features more developed song structure (taking some cues from 70's prog-rock, psychedelia and art rock) and a broader palette of emotional and intellectual subject matter. The album was produced by Mike Thorne, who added keyboard and synthesizer elements (compare the versions of "Outdoor Miner"; with and without the piano accompaniment), which were later expanded upon by the band members on their later releases. These contributions add to the album's identification as the release in which the band largely transcended and abandoned the punk genre. The pop sensibilities that would come to the fore in their later incarnation of 1985 are evident in songs such as "Outdoor Miner" and "I Am the Fly".
EMI appreciated the more melodic sound of the short track "Outdoor Miner" so much that they asked the band to create an expanded version of the song for release as a single.
In 2004 the US record label Words-On-Music released 'A Houseguest's Wish'. The CD was a Wire tribute compilation, consisting solely of 19 versions of the 'Chairs Missing' track 'Outdoor Miner'.
- Side one
- "Practice Makes Perfect" (Bruce Gilbert, Colin Newman) – 4:11
- "French Film Blurred" (Graham Lewis, Newman) – 2:34
- "Another the Letter" (Gilbert, Newman) – 1:07
- "Men 2nd" (Lewis) – 1:43
- "Marooned" (Gilbert, Lewis, Newman) – 2:21
- "Sand in My Joints" (Lewis) – 1:50
- "Being Sucked in Again" (Newman) – 3:14
- "Heartbeat" (Newman) – 3:16
- Side two
- "Mercy" (Lewis, Newman) – 5:46
- "Outdoor Miner" (Lewis, Newman) – 1:44
- "I Am the Fly" (Lewis, Newman) – 3:09
- "I Feel Mysterious Today" (Lewis, Newman) – 1:57
- "From the Nursery" (Lewis, Newman) – 2:58
- "Used To" (Gilbert, Lewis) – 2:23
- "Too Late" (Gilbert) – 4:14
- "Go Ahead" (Gilbert, Robert Gotobed, Lewis, Newman) – 4:01 [1989 reissue]
- "Outdoor Miner" (long version) (Lewis, Newman) – 2:54 [1994 reissue]
- "Former Airline" (Gilbert) – 3:20 [1989 reissue, 1994 reissue]
- "A Question of Degree" (Lewis, Newman) – 3:09 [1989 reissue, 1994 reissue]
Extra tracks have been removed from the 2006 remastered reissues, because they, according to the band, didn't honor the "conceptual clarity of the original statements".
- Colin Newman - vocals, guitars
- B.C. Gilbert - guitars
- Graham Lewis - bass, vocals
- Robert Gotobed - drums
- Kate Lukas - flute on "Heartbeat"
- Mike Thorne - keyboards, synthesizers
- ^ Huey, Steve. "Chairs Missing - Wire". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r22102. Retrieved October 11th, 2011.
- ^ Tangari, Joe (May 5, 2006). "Pink Flag / Chairs Missing / 154". Pitchfork. Archived from the original on October 11th, 2011.
- ^ "Wire". TrouserPress.com. http://trouserpress.com/entry.php?a=wire. Retrieved October 11th, 2011.
Wire Studio albums Other albums Singles and EPs Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chairs Missing — Album par Wire Sortie Août 1978 Enregistrement 1978 Durée 42:27 Genre Punk rock Rock expérimental Post punk … Wikipédia en Français
The Twelve Chairs (film) — The Twelve Chairs , a 1928 novel by Soviet writers Ilya Ilf and Yevgeny Petrov, has been adapted for film numerous times, including:* It s In The Bag , 1945 film directed by Richard Wallace, starring Fred Allen, Binnie Barnes, Robert Benchley and … Wikipedia
Musical Chairs (1975 TV series) — This article is about the 1975 CBS TV game show Musical Chairs. For the 1955 NBC game show of the same name hosted by Bill Leyden, see Musical Chairs (1955 TV series). Musical Chairs Title card for the 1975 Musical Chairs … Wikipedia
International Commission on Missing Persons — The International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) addresses the issue of persons missing as a result of armed conflicts, violations of human rights and natural disasters. It is headquartered in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina… … Wikipedia
Wire (band) — Infobox musical artist Name = Wire Img capt = Img size = Background = group or band Birth name = Alias = Wir Born = Died = Origin = London, England Instrument = Genre = Punk rock Post punk Experimental rock Alternative rock Occupation = Years… … Wikipedia
Wire — Колин Ньюман, 2008 Основная информация … Википедия
Wire (groupe) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Wire. Wire Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
Wire (groupe punk) — Wire (groupe) Pour les articles homonymes, voir Wire. Wire est un groupe de rock britannique formé en 1976 par Graham Lewis (guitare basse, voix), Bruce Gilbert (guitare), Colin Newman (guitare, voix) et Robert Gotobed (percussions). Sa musique… … Wikipédia en Français
Wire — Este artículo o sección necesita referencias que aparezcan en una publicación acreditada, como revistas especializadas, monografías, prensa diaria o páginas de Internet fidedignas. Puedes añadirlas así o avisar al … Wikipedia Español
Timeline of punk rock — This is a timeline of punk rock, from its beginnings in the early 1960s to the present time.1960*Newly formed bands **The Sonics1964*Newly formed bands **Motor City Five (MC5) 1965 *Newly formed bands **The Velvet Underground*Albums **The Sonics… … Wikipedia