- 47th Palma Light Infantry Regiment
Created in Tortosa by the Royal Decree of 27 July 1877, with the designation 52nd Philippines Infantry Regiment, it was raised from the 44th Tarragona and 73rd Lorca Reserve Battalions, which constituted its first and second Battalions. The new Regiment stayed in Catalonia with detachments in Lleida, La Seu d'Urgell, Tremp, and Solsona. In July 1880, the First Battalion moved to Palma, stationed in Carmen Barracks, and the second to Mahón. During the same month, the latter joined its Staff in Palma. From the beginning the Regiment maintained detachments in Ibiza and Cabrera.
In 1944 Colors donated by the Most Excellent City Council of Palma were delivered to the Regiment. In April 1968 it was moved to General Asensio Base. Presently it includes a Command, a Staff, and the "Philippines" Light Infantry Battalion.
It participated, with attached units, in Peacekeeping operations in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Iraq.
* [http://www.ejercito.mde.es/organizacion/comgebal/inicio.htm Balearics General Command]
* [http://www.ejercito.mde.es/ihycm/cursos/uniformo/palma47.html Regimiento de Infantería Ligera "Palma 47"]
* [http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/8745/infanteria/regimientos.htm Regimientos de Infantería]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Spanish Army — Ejército de Tierra Spanish Army Seal of the Spanish Army Founded 15th century – present … Wikipedia