- Centrale Graduate School
Centrale Graduate School Groupe des Écoles Centrales Established 1990 Type Public, Graduate engineering Admin. staff 2900 Students 6000 Undergraduates No undergraduate students Postgraduates 5,200 Doctoral students 800 Location Lille, Lyon, Marseille, Nantes, Paris, (France) Research labs 38 Website Web site (English)
The Centrale Graduate School is an alliance consisting of the following graduate schools of engineering:
- École centrale Paris established in 1829
- École centrale de Lille established in 1854
- École centrale de Lyon established in 1857
- École centrale de Marseille established in 1890
- École centrale de Nantes established in 1919
- École centrale de Pékin, established in 2005.
With about 6,000 graduate engineer students and 800 PhD doctorate students, a total faculty of 700 permanent academic members, 2200 part-time lecturers and associate professors, 450 technical and administrative staff, 2000 researchers, the Centrale Graduate School annually approves hundreds of PhD doctorate dissertations and grants 1500 Centrale graduate engineering degrees and other master degrees. Already more than 35,000 Centrale alumni are active today in business, entrepreneurship, research & development, and management in small and large industries worldwide.
Based on nearly two centuries of recognized Centrale educational know-how in France, the Centrale Graduate School's goal is to promote and implement engineering education with the following characteristics, defined as the Centrale Programme:
- multidisciplinary curriculum for engineers, with a broad scope of scientific, engineering and management fields taught to all students (civil engineering; mechanical engineering; electrical engineering; information theory & computer science; control science and signal processing; telecom; chemistry, physics and material sciences; micro-nano technologies; manufacturing; safety, logistics; mathematics; economics; statistics, finance; management ...) applicable for French-speaking students with a solid scientific background knowledge and intellectual agility;
- first two years for acquisition of a Centrale common body of knowledges, with core and elective thematic flexibility, and at least one year of in-depth thematic studies at the end of the programme ;
- close contact with the industry through joint projects and training periods, and requirements for international exposure ;
- academic education and applied research closely related to industry stakeholders ;
- a unique Centrale graduate diploma in each school.
- Ingénieur Centralien (Centrale graduate engineering degree)
- Masters and PhD doctorate studies
- Specialized masters (Mastère MS Spécialisé)
The Centrale Programme (Centrale graduate engineering degree - Grade 300 ECTS) includes a three or four-year curriculum. Application to the Centrale Programme is possible after two/three year undergraduate studies in other educational institutes. Admission to an école centrale requires success in either:
- a French nationwide selective exam with numerus clausus : concours Centrale-Supelec, with examination centres located throughout France  and in Lebanon, Morocco, Tunisia ;
- an entrance exam for Bachelors of Sciences : CASTing - Concours d'Admission sur Titre Ingénieur ;
- a selection process as per TIME double degrees procedures applicable in Europe ;
- a selection process as per TIME Overseas double degree procedures applicable for selected universities in Brasil, Canada, Chile, China, Indonesia, Japan, USA ;
- a specific application process for other international students presented by their originating University.
Thus undergraduate studies + the Centralien Programme account for more than a cumulated 300 ECTS credit in the European education system.
Admission to the master's degree programme (workload is either M1+M2 = 120 ECTS or M2 = 60 ECTS) is possible upon application assessment based on academic criteria or is possible as a part of the Centralien Programme. Several master's degrees are available from the different écoles centrales and may be taught in English and/or French, targeting diverse science and engineering domains :
- Master's degrees at Centrale Lille
- Master's degrees at Centrale Lyon
- Master's degrees at Centrale Marseille
- Master's degrees at Centrale Nantes
- Master's degrees at Centrale Paris
Admission to specialized master's degree programmes (Mastère spécialisé) for master's-level specialization and continuing education in specific engineering and management fields (workload is 75 ECTS) is possible upon application assessment based on candidate profile. MS taught in French include :
PhD candidates and visiting researchers should contact directly their preferred labs among 38 different research labs of the Ecoles Centrales.
CARNOT Institute affiliations :
- Ecole Centrale Paris labs are a member of CARNOT C3S Institute.
- Ecole Centrale de Lille labs are a member of CARNOT ARTS Institute.
- Ecole Centrale de Lyon labs are a member of CARNOT i@L Institute.
Top Industrial Managers for Europe (TIME network)
- ^ The Centrale Programme typically includes a three-year curriculum with two years as the core programme ; the third year curriculum may be performed in an Ecole Centrale different from the first two years ; the third year may also include a Master (M2) degree as an elective part of the curriculum, that may be attended in either any Ecole Centrale or in other selected institutes in France or Europe, depending on the target research labs. Alternatively, students from the Centrale programme may decide at the end of the second year to enrol into the TIME double degree process which requires two additional years to get both the Centrale degree and another Master degree, instead of one third year.
- ^ Students enrolled as part of the TIME double degree process have to spend two years in their home institute and two years in an Ecole Centrale in order to be granted both Master degrees.
- ^ Concours Centrale-Supelec competitive exam is opened to any French-speaking undergraduate students. Only bright second-year undergraduates and third-year undergraduates may actually have a chance to succeed at the exam, due to high requirements upon maths and physics knowledge. The scope of knowledges needed is up to and may be beyond a standard bachelor of sciences curriculum. For this reason, about 47,000 undergraduate French students usually attend scientific Classe Préparatoire aux Grandes Écoles for two or three years, in order to reach the appropriate body of knowledges in these fields. The selective exam takes place every year, with several written parts taken in April-May by about 9,000 candidates simultaneously in many examination centres worldwide ; then multiple individual test sessions take place in June-July at Centrale Paris for those candidates allowed to proceed on the exam process. Candidates are then ranked by order of merit. About 1,300 of them are able to enter Centrale Graduate Schools each year and proceed with Centrale Graduate cursus. (To be compared with the 500,000 students who pass the Baccalauréat exam so as to start the French undergraduate cursus and to the 20,000 undergraduate students who actually succeed and enroll in a French engineering school, including Centrale Graduate Schools among others, each year).
- ^ Centrale Graduate School admission process for Centrale programme : Concours Centrale-Supelec examination centres are located in France métropolitaine (Europe) and in France Outre Mer including examination centres in Guadeloupe and Martinique (Caribbean), La Réunion (Indian Ocean) and New Caledonia (Asia Ocenia),
- ^ Cycle International - Centrale Graduate School admission process for Centralien programme in international examination centres :Concours Centrale-Supelec
Top Industrial Managers for Europe (T.I.M.E. network) Austria Belgium Czech Republic Denmark Finland France Germany Greece Hungary Italy Norway Poland Portugal Russian Federation Spain Sweden Switzerland Turkey United Kingdom
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Institut d'Optique Graduate School — École supérieure d optique Pour les articles homonymes, voir ESO. SupOptique Nom original Institut d optique/Ecole supérieure d optique … Wikipédia en Français
American Graduate School in Paris — L’American Graduate School in Paris (AGS), anciennement nommée American Graduate School of International Relations and Diplomacy, est un établissement universitaire de troisième cycle fondé à Paris, en 1994. Il conduit divers programmes… … Wikipédia en Français
American Graduate School Of International Relations And Diplomacy — L’American Graduate School of International Relations and Diplomacy, localement appelée AGS, est un établissement universitaire de troisième cycle fondé à Paris, en 1994. Il conduit un programme d’enseignement et de recherche dans le domaine des… … Wikipédia en Français
American Graduate School of International Relations and Diplomacy — L’American Graduate School of International Relations and Diplomacy, localement appelée AGS, est un établissement universitaire de troisième cycle fondé à Paris, en 1994. Il conduit un programme d’enseignement et de recherche dans le domaine des… … Wikipédia en Français
American graduate school of international relations and diplomacy — L’American Graduate School of International Relations and Diplomacy, localement appelée AGS, est un établissement universitaire de troisième cycle fondé à Paris, en 1994. Il conduit un programme d’enseignement et de recherche dans le domaine des… … Wikipédia en Français
Centrale (disambiguation) — Centrale can mean: * Centrale Graduate School ** Ecole Centrale Paris ** École centrale de Lille ** École centrale de Lyon ** École centrale de Marseille ** École centrale de Nantes ** * Centrale (shopping centre) in Croydon, South London **… … Wikipedia
Centrale Paris — École centrale Paris École centrale Paris Nom original École centrale des arts et manufactures Localisation Localisation Châtenay Malabry … Wikipédia en Français
Centrale Lille — École centrale de Lille 50° 36′ 22″ N 3° 08′ 14″ E / 50.60600556, 3.13715 … Wikipédia en Français
École centrale de Lille — Infobox University name = Ecole Centrale de Lille image size= 150px established = 1872 type = Public, Graduate engineering students=1300 city = Lille country = France coor = coord|50|36|23|N|3|8|11|E|region:FR type:edu affiliations=Centrale… … Wikipedia
École centrale de Lyon — Infobox University name = Ecole Centrale de Lyon motto = A Grande école without boundaries president = Patrick Bourgin type = Public, Grand établissement established = 1857 city = Ecully country = France students = 1400 affiliations=Centrale… … Wikipedia