- The Great King
The Great King Directed by Veit Harlan Written by Veit Harlan
Starring Otto Gebühr Cinematography Bruno Mondi Editing by Friedrich Karl von Puttkamer Release date(s) 3 March 1942 Running time 118 minutes Country Germany Language German
The Great King (German: Der große König) is a 1942 German drama film directed by Veit Harlan and starring Otto Gebühr. It depicts the life of Frederick the Great, who ruled Prussia from 1740 to 1786. It received the rare "Film of the Nation" distinction.
The film is a depiction of the Führerprinzip, with the analogy to Hitler being so clear that Hitler sent a print to Mussolini, and Goebbels warning against the drawing of the comparison in print, in particular because the pessimistic mood that opens the film. After a sergeant gives an unauthorized order, the king orders him promoted and punished; his decision to desert after this results in his death, because no disobedience is justified. Goebbels declared that the parallels were not a matter of propaganda but an obvious result of the parallels of history.
Goebbels also regarded as it instructing that their current sufferings would strengthen them.
Goebbels had some difficulty with the Army High Command over this film, because it depicted the king left in a lurch by his general, and complained that the army felt that any depiction, however historical, reflected badly on them.
- Otto Gebühr - Friedrich II.
- Kristina Söderbaum - Luise Treskow
- Gustav Fröhlich - Treskow
- Hans Nielsen - Niehoff
- Paul Wegener - General Czernitscheff
- Paul Henckels - Grenadier Spiller
- Elisabeth Flickenschildt - Spiller's Wife
- Kurt Meisel - Alfons
- Hilde Körber - Elisabeth
- Claus Clausen - Prinz Heinrich der Ältere
- Klaus Detlef Sierck - Prinz Heinrich der Jüngere
- Herbert Hübner - Graf Finkenstein
- Franz Schafheitlin - Oberst Bernburg
- Otto F. Henning - General von Finken
- Reginald Pasch - General Manteufel
- Director Veit Harlan won the Mussolini Cup for "Best Foreign Film" at the 1942 Venice Film Festival.
- ^ "New York Times: The Great King". NY Times. http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/13299/Der-Grosse-K-246-nig/overview. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- ^ a b c Erwin Leiser, Nazi Cinema p116 ISBN 0-02-570230-0
- ^ Erwin Leiser, Nazi Cinema p113-4 ISBN 0-02-570230-0
- ^ Pierre Aycoberry The Nazi Question, p10 Pantheon Books New York 1981
- ^ Cinzia Romani, Tainted Goddesses: Female Film Stars of the Third Reich p93 ISBN 0-9627613-1-1
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Assassin King — is the sixth book in the Elizabeth Haydon series, the Symphony of Ages, released December 26th, 2006.The Assassin King opens with the arrival by sea of a mysterious hunter who endlessly chants the names of demons that are his intended victims, as … Wikipedia
The Lion King — This article is about Disney s 1994 film. For the franchise, see The Lion King (franchise). For the ferry, see MS Kongshavn. The Lion King … Wikipedia
The Reluctant King — Infobox Book | name = The Reluctant King title orig = translator = image caption = first edition of The Reluctant King author = L. Sprague de Camp illustrator = cover artist = country = United States language = English series = Novarian series… … Wikipedia
The Vagabond King — This article is about the operetta, for the films see: The Vagabond King (1930 film) and The Vagabond King (1956 film) Infobox Musical name= The Vagabond King subtitle= caption= music= Rudolf Friml lyrics= Brian Hooker W.H. Post book= Brian… … Wikipedia
The Mad King — infobox Book | name = The Mad King orig title = translator = image caption = Dust jacket from the first edition of The Mad King author = Edgar Rice Burroughs cover artist = country = United States language = English series = genre = Ruritanian… … Wikipedia
The High King — infobox Book | name = The High King title orig = translator = image caption = Dust jacket from the 1st edition author = Lloyd Alexander cover artist = Evaline Ness country = United States language = English series = The Chronicles of Prydain… … Wikipedia
The Frost King — Infobox Short story name = The Frost King title orig = Autumn Leavescite web |last=Sullivan |first=Anne |authorlink=Anne Sullivan |title=Mis Sullivan s Account of the Frost King |work=The Story of My Life… … Wikipedia
King Sejong the Great class destroyer — The Sejong the Great class destroyers (Sejongdaewang Ham or Hangul: 세종대왕급 구축함), also known as KDX III, are guided missile destroyers of the Republic of Korea Navy. The lead ship was launched 25th May 2007, sponsored by Kwon Yang sook, the First… … Wikipedia
The Great Deceiver — Концертный … Википедия
The Great Movie Ride — Localisation Parc : Disney s Hollywood Studios Zone : Hollywood Boulevard Lieu … Wikipédia en Français