- Civil aviation
Civil aviation is one of two major categories of flying, representing all non-military aviation, both private and commercial. Most of the countries in the world are members of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and work together to establish common standards and recommended practices for civil aviation through that agency.
Civil aviation includes two major categories:
- Scheduled air transport, including all passenger and cargo flights operating on regularly scheduled routes; and
- General aviation (GA), including all other civil flights, private or commercial
Although scheduled air transport is the larger operation in terms of passenger numbers, GA is larger in the number of flights (and flight hours, in the U.S.) In the U.S., GA carries 166 million passengers each year, more than any individual airline, though less than all the airlines combined.
Some countries also make a regulatory distinction based on whether aircraft are flown for hire like:
- Commercial aviation includes most or all flying done for hire, particularly scheduled service on airlines; and
- Private aviation includes pilots flying for their own purposes (recreation, business meetings, etc.) without receiving any kind of remuneration.
All scheduled air transport is commercial, but general aviation can be either commercial or private. Normally, the pilot, aircraft, and operator must all be authorized to perform commercial operations through separate commercial licensing, registration, and operation certificates.
The Convention on International Civil Aviation (the Chicago Convention) was originally established in 1944: it states that signatories should collectively work to harmonize and standardize the use of airspace for safety, efficiency and regularity of air transport. All the States signatory to the Chicago Convention, now 188, are obliged to implement the Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) of the Convention.
- Personnel Licensing — regulating the basic training and issuance of licenses and certificates.
- Flight Operations — carrying out safety oversight of commercial operators.
- Airworthiness — issuing certificates of registration and certificates of airworthiness to civil aircraft, and overseeing the safety of maintenance organizations.
- Aerodromes — designing and constructing aerodrome facilities.
- Air Traffic Services — managing the traffic inside of a country's airspace.
- Military aviation
- CUNY Aviation Institute
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) — the U.N. agency responsible for civil aviation
- Colombian Civil Aviation Authority; the Colombian agency responsible for civil aviation
Commercial air travel Airlines Alliances Trade groups Airliner Airport Aircrew Customs / immigration Environmental impact
- Impact on climate and environment
Luggage Safety Ticketing
- Airline Reservations System
- Airline ticket
- Airline timetable
- Bereavement flight
- Boarding pass
- Codeshare agreement
- Continent pass
- Electronic ticket
- Flight delay
- Flight cancellation
- Frequent-flyer program
- Government contract flight
- Open-jaw ticket
- Red-eye flight
- Round-the-world ticket
- Travel agency
- Travel website
- Warsaw Convention
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
civil aviation — ➔ aviation * * * civil aviation UK US noun [U] ► flights and aircraft used for personal and business purposes, such as transporting goods or passengers, rather than for military purposes: »The government wants to put civilians in charge of civil… … Financial and business terms
civil aviation — noun Non military flying, esp commercial airlines and their operation • • • Main Entry: ↑civil … Useful english dictionary
civil aviation — n. commercial aviation … English contemporary dictionary
Civil Aviation Authority of the Fiji Islands — Agency overview Formed 1999  Jurisdiction … Wikipedia
Civil Aviation Authority of Kosovo — Abbreviation CAAK AACK Formation 2009 Type Civil Service department … Wikipedia
Civil Aviation Administration of China — 中国民用航空局 Agency overview Formed 1949 Jurisdiction … Wikipedia
Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines — Agency overview Formed March 4, 2008 Preceding agency Air Transportation Office Superseding agency Aviation Headquarters CAAP Main Office, NAIA Road, Pasay City Agency executive Ramon … Wikipedia
Civil Aviation Department (Hong Kong) — Civil Aviation Department 民航處 Agency overview Formed 1946 Headquarters 46/F,Queensway Government Offices, 66 Queen … Wikipedia
Civil Aviation Safety Authority — Aviation House, headquarters of CASA … Wikipedia
Civil Aviation University of China — 中国民航大学 Motto 笃学精博 严谨创新 Established September 25, 1951 Type National Chairman Pan Zhixiang (潘志祥) Pr … Wikipedia