- IPv6 deployment
This article attempts to provide an overview of Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) deployment around the world.
To drive the deployment of IPv6, regional and local IPv6 Task Forces were created. [ [http://www.ipv6tf.org/ IPv6 Task Forces] ] The current integration of IPv6 on existing network infrastructures could be monitored from different sources, for example:
*Regional Internet Registries (RIR) IPv6 Prefix Allocation [ [http://www.ripe.net/rs/ipv6/stats/ IPv6 prefix allocation] ]
*IPv6 Transit services [ [http://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=ipv6transit IPv6 transit] ]
*Japan ISP IPv6 services [ [http://www.ipv6style.jp/en/statistics/services/index.shtml IPv6 services in Japan] ]
IPv6 testing, evaluation, and certification
A few international organizations are involved with IPv6 test and evaluation ranging from the United States Department of Defense to the University of New Hampshire.
* The US DoD
Joint Interoperability Test Command DoD IPv6 Product CertificationProgram
University of New Hampshire InterOperability Laboratoryinvolvement in the IPv6 Ready Logo Program [http://www.ipv6ready.org]
In February 1999, the IPv6 Forum, [ [http://www.ipv6forum.org/ The IPv6 Forum] ] a world-wide consortium of worldwide leading Internet vendors, industry subject matter experts, research and education networks was founded to promote the IPv6 technology and raise the market and industry awareness.
A number of governments, however, are starting to require support for IPv6 in new equipment. The U.S. Government, for example, has specified that the network backbones of all federal agencies had to be upgraded to IPv6 by
June 30, 2008, which was completed before the deadline. [ [http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/memoranda/fy2005/m05-22.pdf August 2005 directive from the Office of Management Budget] ] [ [http://www.gcn.com/print/26_03/43045-1.html DOD to allocate its IPv6 addresses] ] [ [http://www.gcn.com/print/26_15/44566-1.html Bitten by IPv6 (correction to the first report)] ] [ [http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/CrossTalk/2007/07/0707KimMacha.pdf Providing the Tools for Information Sharing] : Net-Centric Enterprise Services (Department of Defense Chief Information Officer Information Policy Directorate)] Their decision should further encourage the private sector and the rest of the World to migrate as well.
People's Republic of Chinahas a 5 year plan for deployment of IPv6 called the " China Next Generation Internet". According to Kshemendra Paul, chief architect at the U.S. Department of Justice, Asia is experiencing a huge demand for addresses and thus is one of the strongest adopters of IPv6.Fact|date=July 2008
2008 Olympic Games IPv6 showcase
The 2008 Summer Olympic Games website was published on the IPv6 Internet at http://ipv6.beijing2008.cn/en (IP addresses: 2001:252:0:1::2008:6 and 2001:252:0:1::2008:8). All network operations of the Games were conducted using IPv6. This event was reported to be the largest showcase of IPv6 technology since the inception of IPv6. [ [http://www.ipv6.com/articles/general/IPv6-Olympics-2008.htm IPv6 and the 2008 Beijing Olympics] ]
AARNetrecently completed a new network, "AARNet 3". It is a high-speed network connecting academic and research customers in the major metropolitan centres, with international links to major ISP's in the U.S, Asia, and Europe. One of the design goals was to support both IPv4 and IPv6 protocols equally. It also supports multicast routing and jumbo frames. [cite web | url=http://www.aarnet.edu.au/Content.aspx?p=19 | title=AARNet3 | publisher= AARNet| accessdate=2008-09-25]
* Internode is the first commercial ISP in Australia to have full IPv6 connectivity, and are currently making IPv6 available to customers. [ [http://ipv6.internode.on.net/ Internode and IPv6] ] The availability to customers was officially announced to Whirlpool on July 18th 2008. [ [http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1016287 Internode releases national IPv6 access] ]
* AFNIC, the NIC for (among others) the
.frTop Level Domain, has implemented IPv6 operations. [ [http://www.afnic.fr/actu/nouvelles/general/NN20060809_en AFNIC full IPv6 ready] ]
Renater, the french national academical network, is offering IPv6 connectivity including multicast support to their members.
* Free, a major French ISP rolled-out IPv6 at end of year 2007 [ [http://iliad.fr/en/presse/2007/CP_IPv6_121207_eng.pdf IPv6 Rolled-out at ISP Free] ] .
Nerim, a small ISP provides native IPv6 for all its clients since March 2003. [ [http://www.nerim.fr/ipv6 Nerim - IPv6 (in French)] ]
* Orange has done IPv6 experimentation, official support is still unclear.
OVHhas implemented IPv6. [ [http://help.ovh.co.uk/Ipv4Ipv6 OVH : Ipv4Ipv6] ]
* Sify Technologies Limited, a private ISP, has rolled-out IPv6 at the year 2005. [http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2005_Feb_22/ai_n9776840 Press release on Sify's IPv6 deployments] ]
* Sify has a
dual-stacknetwork that supports commercial services on IPv6 transport for its enterprise customers.
* Sify's Portals division has launched a public dual-stack website to its popular portal at the URL [http://sify.com http://sify.com] .
* Sify is a sponsored member of 6Choice, a project by India - Europe cooperation to promote IPv6 adoption. [ [http://6choice.eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=42 6Choice Project] ]
SURFnet, maintainer of the Dutch academical network SURFnet, introduced IPv6 to its network 1997, in the beginning using IPv6-to-IPv4 tunnels. Currently its backbone is entirely running dual-stack, supporting both native IPv4 and IPv6 to most of its users. [ [http://www.ipv6.surfnet.nl/ IPv6 at SURFnet] ] .
XS4All, is a major Dutch ISP. In 2002 XS4All was the first Dutch broadband provider to introduce IPv6 to its network. [ [http://www.xs4all.nl/allediensten/experimenteel/IPv6.php IPv6 at XS4All] ] , but it was only experimental and they disabled that service again. As such they are at the moment (2008) only providing IPv6 with the help of a Tunnel Broker.
* Business-orientated Internet Provider [http://www.bit.nl BIT BV] has been providing IPv6 to all their customers (DSL, FTTH, colocated) since 2004 [ [http://www.bit.nl/pdf/media/Computable%20(14-05-04).pdf Computable 2004-05-14] ] .
* [http://www.sixxs.net SixXS] , of which the two founders are Dutch, has been providing IPv6 to users worldwide with tunneled connectivity since 2000, starting out as IPng.nl with a predominantly Dutch user-base. The switch to SixXS was initiated to change to be able to reach users internationally and also to be completely ISP independent. [ [http://www.sixxs.net/about/history/ SixXS History] ] . SixXS also provides various other sub-projects which contributed significantly to IPv6 adoption and stability globally.
JANET, the UK's education and research network, is introducing IPv6 unicast support into its service level agreement by August 2008 [ [http://www.webarchive.ja.net/development/ipv6/ JANET AND IPv6] ] . Several major UK universities (e.g., Cambridge) are upgrading their campus routing infrastructure during summer 2008 to provide IPv6 unicast support to their users.
*The UK Government is intending to replace much of its
Wide Area Networkwith a new Public Sector Network (PSN) starting from late 2009. The PSN will be based on IPv6 [Project Ocean bidders' pack [http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/ocean-industry-day-slide-pack] ] .
Santa Rosa, Californiabased Internet provider offers partial support for IPv6. They assign a /60 to any customer requesting address space and deliver the IPv6 packets over a 6in4tunnel. The RDNSauthoritative servers for the assigned IPv6 space do answer IPv6 requests, but the recursive DNS servers provided for customer use are IPv4-only.
China Next Generation Internet
List of IPv6 tunnel brokers
* [http://www.sixxs.net/wiki/Routers A list of residential routers supporting IPv6]
* [http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-56/presentations/Huston-Measuring_IPv6_Deployment.pdf Geoff Huston - An Update on IPv6 Deployment (RIPE 56)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
IPv6 transition mechanisms — Standards Track 4in6 6in4 6over4 DS Lite … Wikipedia
IPv6 — im TCP/IP‑Protokollstapel: Anwendung HTTP IMAP SMTP DNS … Transport TCP UDP Internet IPv6 Netzzugang … Deutsch Wikipedia
IPv6 — Название: Internet Protocol version 6 Уровень (по модели OSI): Сетевой Семейство: TCP/IP Назначение протокола: Адресация Спецификация: RFC 2460 Основные реализации (клиенты) … Википедия
IPv6 — Internet protocol suite Application layer BGP DHCP DNS FTP … Wikipedia
IPv6 brokenness and DNS whitelisting — In the field of IPv6 deployment, IPv6 brokenness is bad behavior seen in tunneled or dual stack IPv6 deployments where unreliable or bogus IPv6 connectivity is chosen in preference to working IPv4 connectivity. This often results in long delays… … Wikipedia
IPv6 — Pile de protocoles 7. Application 6. Présentation 5. Session 4. Tr … Wikipédia en Français
IPv6 address — An Internet Protocol Version 6 address (IPv6 address) is a numerical label that is used to identify a network interface of a computer or other network node participating in an IPv6 enabled computer network. IP addresses serve the purpose of… … Wikipedia
IPv6 translation mechanisms — are used to allow IPv6 connected hosts to access IPv4 only Internet resources and hosts. Some IPv6 translation mechanisms were first defined in RFC 1933 but this RFC has been obsoleted by RFC 4213. Stateless IP/ICMP Translation (SIIT) RFC 2765… … Wikipedia
IPv6 Rapid Deployment — 6rd (англ. IPv6 Rapid Deployment) переходный механизм, позволяющий интернет провайдерам предоставлять клиентам IPv6 подключение поверх своей IPv4 сети. Этот механизм похож на 6to4, но действует в пределах сети интернет провайдера, что… … Википедия
Proxy Mobile IPv6 — (or PMIPv6, or PMIP) is a network based mobility management protocol standardized by IETF and is specified in RFC 5213. It is a protocol for building a common and access technology independent of mobile core networks, accommodating various access … Wikipedia