Engine House No. 18 (Los Angeles, California)


Engine House No. 18 (Los Angeles, California)

Infobox_nrhp | name =Engine House No. 18
nrhp_type =


caption = Engine House No. 18 in 2008
location= 2616 S. Hobart Blvd., Los Angeles, California
lat_degrees = 34
lat_minutes = 1
lat_seconds = 56
lat_direction = N
long_degrees = 118
long_minutes = 18
long_seconds = 24
long_direction = W
locmapin = California
area =
built =1904
architect= John Parkinson; Henry R. Angelo
architecture= Mission/Spanish Revival
added = October 29, 1982
governing_body = Private
refnum=82000968cite web|url=http://www.nr.nps.gov/|title=National Register Information System|date=2008-04-15|work=National Register of Historic Places|publisher=National Park Service]

Engine House No. 18 is a fire station in the West Adams section of Los Angeles, California. Built in 1904, the station was designed in the Mission Revival style by noted architect John Parkinson, whose later works included Los Angeles City Hall, Union Station and Bullocks Wilshire.cite news|title=Mission-Style Fire Station to Be Redone|publisher=Los Angeles Times|date=1984-02-26] In 1915, Engine House No. 18 was one of a dozen stations closed because of budget cutbacks resulting from the "two-platoon ordinance" passed by the Los Angeles City Council in 1915. [cite news|title=Budget Plans: Now Propose to Close a Dozen Firehouses|publisher=Los Angeles Times|date=1915-08-03] The station re-opened in 1920 and remained an operating fire station until 1968. [cite web|title=Los Angeles Fire Department|publisher=Los Angeles Fire Department Historical Archive: Fire Station 18 Photo Gallery|url=http://www.lafire.com/stations/FS018/FS018_1916-1968.htm ] In 1932, former fireman James F. Fourong was arrested for burglarizing Engine House No. 18. Fourong had looted other fire stations by phoning in false alarms and then entering the firehouse while the men responded to the call. In February 1932, Fourong attempted a robbery at Engine House No. 18 but was surprised by a fireman while burglarizing the lockers. [cite news|title=Newest Bandit Trick Revealed: Fire Station Burglaries Charged to Pair; False Alarms Drew Crews From Engine Houses; Police Assert Much Plunder Taken from Lockers|publisher=Los Angeles Times|date=1932-03-13] After the building had been vacant for 16 years, the Community Redevelopment Agency in 1984 agreed to a $28,000 contract with Woodford & Bernard, architects, to prepare construction documents for the restoration of Engine House No. 18. The plan was to restore and convert the firehouse into a community oriented professional training center at a cost of $225,000. As of 2008, the old firehouse remained vacant.

ee also

*List of Registered Historic Places in Los Angeles
*Los Angeles Fire Department
*Los Angeles Fire Department Museum and Memorial

References

External links

* [http://www.lafire.com/stations/FS018/FS018_1916-1968.htm Los Angeles Fire Department Historical Archive: Fire Station 18 Photo Gallery]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.