- Come Taste the Band
Come Taste the Band Studio album by Deep Purple Released October 10, 1975 Recorded 3 August - 1 September 1975
Musicland Studios, Munich
Genre Hard rock, funk rock, heavy metal Length 37:16 (Original LP)
90:30 (2010 2CD edition)
Label EMI/Purple (UK)
Warner Bros. (US)
Producer Martin Birch & Deep Purple Deep Purple chronology Stormbringer
Come Taste the Band
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Rolling Stone (favourable)
Come Taste the Band is the tenth studio album by the English rock band Deep Purple originally released in October 1975. The album was co-produced and engineered by the band and longtime associate Martin Birch. It is the only Deep Purple studio record featuring Tommy Bolin, who replaced Ritchie Blackmore on guitar.
When Blackmore left the band, many observers and critics[who?] assumed that Deep Purple would not continue. It was David Coverdale who asked Jon Lord to keep the band together, and Tommy Bolin was asked to take the guitar slot. A deluxe edition of the album was released in 2010.
Musically, the album is more commercial than previous Deep Purple releases, leaning toward a conventional hard rock focus with overtones of soul and funk. The album shows the strong funk influence from Glenn Hughes at this point, who had formed a bond with the equally funk and jazz influenced Bolin, but the direction tended to be more like 1974's Burn, with a heavier focus on hard rock. The recording with Bolin also allowed the band to take many creative liberties, as Ritchie Blackmore had been somewhat difficult to work with at this point in the band's career. Generally the record is considered one of Deep Purple's lesser efforts, although it did sell reasonably well on release (#19 in the UK charts, and #43 in the US). The album was certified Silver on November 1, 1975 by the BPI, selling 60,000 copies in the UK.
After tours for this album concluded in March 1976, Deep Purple broke up for eight years. Tommy Bolin died of an accidental heroin overdose in December, 1976. In recent years the album has received some critical reassessment, primarily due to Bolin's contributions to the album. Ian Gillan (who left the band three years prior), on the other hand, has stated that he does not view the album as a real Deep Purple album.
In 1990, the album was remastered and re-released in the US by Metal Blade Records and distributed by Warner Bros. It was re-released again on the Friday Music label on July 31, 2007 (along with Made in Europe and Stormbringer).
While the label's website claims that the album has been digitally remastered, it is unclear which tapes were used as a source for this remastering, but it is unlikely the original master tapes were used, as EMI had repeatedly claimed over the years that the master tapes of this album were missing.
In December 2009, the Deep Purple Appreciation Society (DPAS) reported the original multi-track masters had recently surfaced and that an official remastered version with bonus tracks (including remixes by Glenn Hughes and Kevin Shirley) would see a release in 2010.
Released on October 25, 2010, the 2-CD Deluxe 35th Anniversary edition includes the original album in remastered form plus a rare US single edit of "You Keep on Moving" on the first disc, and a full album remix and two unissued tracks on the second disc: "Same in LA" a three minute out-take from the final release in 1975, and "Bolin/Paice Jam" a five minute instrumental jam with Ian Paice and Tommy Bolin. 
- Side one
- "Comin' Home" (Tommy Bolin, David Coverdale, Ian Paice) – 3:55
- "Lady Luck" (Jeff Cook, Coverdale) – 2:48
- "Gettin' Tighter" (Bolin, Glenn Hughes) – 3:37
- "Dealer" (Bolin, Coverdale) – 3:50
- "I Need Love" (Bolin, Coverdale) – 4:23
- Side two
- "Drifter" (Bolin, Coverdale) – 4:02
- "Love Child" (Bolin, Coverdale) – 3:08
- "This Time Around" (Hughes, Jon Lord)/ "Owed to 'G'" (Bolin) – 6:10
- "You Keep on Moving" (Coverdale, Hughes) – 5:19
35th anniversary edition 2CD
Disc one (Original Album Remastered)
- "Comin' Home" – 3:54
- "Lady Luck" – 2:48
- "Gettin' Tighter" – 3:36
- "Dealer" – 3:53
- "I Need Love" – 4:24
- "Drifter" – 4:05
- "Love Child" – 3:07
- "This Time Around" / "Owed to 'G'" – 6:13
- "You Keep on Moving" – 5:22
- Bonus track
- "You Keep on Moving (Single Edit)" – 4:32
Disc two (2010 Kevin Shirley Remixes)
- "Comin' Home" - 4:08
- "Lady Luck" - 2:46
- "Gettin' Tighter" - 4:23
- "Dealer" - 3:55
- "I Need Love" - 5:16
- "You Keep on Moving" – 5:18
- "Love Child" – 3:05
- "This Time Around" - 3:24
- "Owed to 'G'" – 2:56
- "Drifter" – 3:59
- Bonus tracks (previously unreleased)
- "Same in LA" (Coverdale, Hughes, Paice, Lord) – 3:19
- "Bolin/Paice Jam" (Bolin, Paice) – 5:47
- Tommy Bolin - lead guitars, vocals, bass guitar on "Comin' Home"
- David Coverdale - lead vocals
- Glenn Hughes - bass, vocals (lead vocals on "Gettin' Tighter" and "This Time Around")
- Jon Lord - keyboards, piano, synthesizer, backing vocals on "Comin' Home", bass on "This Time Around"
- Ian Paice - drums, percussion
- Produced by Martin "The Wasp" Birch and Deep Purple
- Final mix by Martin Birch and Ian Paice
- Engineered by Martin Birch
- Cover photography by Peter Williams
- Rehearsals for the album were recorded by Robert Simon, who was originally engineering album. But after a dispute with the band over scheduling, the band left Simon's Pirate Sound Studios in favor for Birch.
- ^ Allmusic review
- ^ Rolling Stone review
- ^ "BPI certified awards-Silver". http://www.bpi.co.uk/platinum/platinumright.asp?rq=search_plat&r_id=22328. Retrieved February 21, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ "Gillan Has 'No Interest' In Deep Purple Mk III, Says Glenn Hughes Is 'Copying Stevie Wonder'". http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=112513. Retrieved October 24, 2010.
- ^ http://www.deep-purple.net/features/come-taste-the-band/come-taste.htm
- ^ http://www.bravewords.com/news/145833
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Come Taste the Band — Studioalbum von Veröffentlichung 10. Oktober 1975 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Come Taste the Band — Студийный альб … Википедия
Come Taste The Band — Album par Deep Purple Sortie octobre 1975 Enregistrement 3 août – 1er septembre 1975 Durée 36:55 Genre(s) hard rock … Wikipédia en Français
Come taste the band — Album par Deep Purple Sortie octobre 1975 Enregistrement 3 août – 1er septembre 1975 Durée 36:55 Genre(s) hard rock … Wikipédia en Français
Come Taste the Band — Album par Deep Purple Sortie 10 octobre 1975 Enregistrement 3 août 1er septembre 1975 Durée … Wikipédia en Français
Come Taste the Band — Álbum de Deep Purple Publicación Octubre de 1975 Grabación 3 de agosto de 1975 1 de septiembre de 1975 Género(s) Hard rock … Wikipedia Español
The 1975 California Rehearsals — Compilation par Deep Purple Sortie 2000 Enregistrement 1975 Genre rock Albums de Deep Pu … Wikipédia en Français
Come Hell or High Water — Live album by Deep Purple Released November, 1994 … Wikipedia
The House of Blue Light — Studio album by Deep Purple Released 12 January 1987 … Wikipedia
The Battle Rages On... — The Battle Rages On... Studio album by Deep Purple Released July 1993 … Wikipedia