- The Turning Point (1977 film)
name = The Turning Point
caption = original movie poster
Arthur Laurents Herbert Ross Nora Kaye
writer = Arthur Laurents
Shirley MacLaine Anne Bancroft Tom Skerritt Mikhail Baryshnikov Leslie Browne
William H. Reynolds
20th Century Fox
November 14, 1977
runtime = 119 min.
imdb_id = 0076843
"The Turning Point" (1977) was written by
Arthur Laurentsand directed by Herbert Ross. In starring roles were Shirley MacLaine, Anne Bancroft, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Leslie Browne, Tom Skerritt, Martha Scott, Anthony Zerbe, Marshall Thompsonand James Mitchell.
This film tells the story of two women who were childhood friends and former competitors in the world of
Shirley MacLaine), left ballet after becoming pregnant with the child of another ballet dancer, Wayne ( Tom Skerritt). The two settled down to raise a family and co-run a ballet studio in a Midwestern one-horse town. Emma ( Anne Bancroft), an old friend of DeeDee's, stayed in the company and became a prima ballerina. When the company finally comes back to town, the two reunite. The reunion stirs back old memories and present ever-growing wounds.
DeeDee's daughter, Emilia (
Leslie Browne) is invited to join the company at Emma's request. Emilia starts an affair with a big-name Russian ballet defector ( Mikhail Baryshnikov). Emma's brother Ethan is offered two scholarships in ballet, but is unsure to pursue a career between ballet and baseball. And an old male friend of DeeDee's is getting to know her all over again. Meanwhile, it looks as if Emma's day in the sun is coming to an end.
It was nominated for 11
Academy Awards: Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Mikhail Baryshnikov), Best Actress in a Leading Role (Anne Bancroft), Best Actress in a Leading Role (Shirley MacLaine), Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Leslie Browne), Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Cinematography, Best Director, Best Film Editing, Best Picture, Best Sound, and Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen. Despite these 11 nominations, the film won no Oscars. Thus, along with "The Color Purple", it shares the dubious distinction of receiving the most Oscar nominations without any awards.
* The title is a pun, referring to that moment in life where everything turns and changes and you must take a new path in life when you come to the cross-roads and the piroutte step in ballet.
* Shirley MacLaine and Leslie Browne were the only stars in the movie who had ballet training. Anne Bancroft, who plays a renown principal ballerina in the film, used a stunt double and did ballerina poses for her role.
* Contains Phillip Saunders' only acting credit.
* The film's ballet company is based on the
American Ballet Theatre(which supplied the corps de ballet). Many of the principals and production team were affiliated with ABT in some form: Baryshnikov and Browne were both members of the company at the time of filming; director Ross choreographed for the company in the 1950s; executive producer (and Ross' wife) Nora Kayewas one of its most famous principal dancers; and Mitchell was a frequent guest soloist (and one of Kaye's dancing partners) during the 1950s.
* Michael, the choreographer/artistic director, is partly based on Jerome Robbins. James Mitchell was the principal male dancer in Robbins' musical "Billion Dollar Baby" (1945) and participated in his American Theatre Laboratory in the late 1960s; later, while performing with American Ballet Theatre, he partnered executive producer Nora Kaye in Robbins' ballet "Facsimile."
* The rivalry between the main characters, Deedee and Emma, is loosely based on the relationship between Kaye and Browne's mother,
Isabel Brown, while the artistic director, Michael, is an amalgam of Jerome Robbinsand Oliver Smith (Lawrence 430).
* Much to writer Arthur Laurents' exasperation, Ross deleted Michael's gay relationship with the company's ballet master, although a brief reference to his sexuality remains in the film (Russo 227).
* Arthur Laurents had a novel published from his screenplay. It includes the relationship between Michael and the company master.
Audrey Hepburnturned down the lead role which went to Anne Bancroft because she wanted to spend time with her family.
* Gelsey Kirkland was originally slated to play the role of Emilia, but turned it down because she "wanted no part of Hollywood."
Appearances in Pop Culture
In an episode of
The Nanny, Fran references the film by saying: "This is like that movie 'The Turning Point', only they were dancers and one was the mother and they were old friends... I should really rent that again."
* Lawrence, Greg. "Dance with Demons: The Life of Jerome Robbins." New York: Putnam, 2001. ISBN 0-399-14652-0.
* Russo, Vito. "The Celluloid Closet: Homosexuality in the Movies." New York: Harper, 1987. ISBN 0-06-096132-5.
before = "
after = "Midnight Express"
title = Golden Globe for Best Picture - Drama
years = 1978|
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Turning Point (1983 film) — The Turning Point Der Aufenthalt DEFA film poster Directed by Frank Beyer Written by … Wikipedia
The Turning Point (1952 film) — Infobox Film | name =The Turning Point caption =movie poster director = William Dieterle producer = Irving Asher writer = Horace McCoy (story) Warren Duff starring =William Holden Edmond O Brien Alexis Smith cinematography = music = editing =… … Wikipedia
The Turning Point — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différentes œuvres portant le même titre. Cinéma The Turning Point est un film américain réalisé par Lamar Johnstone en 1914. The Turning Point est un film américain réalisé par William Dieterle en 1952 … Wikipédia en Français
The Turning Point (film, 1977) — Le Tournant de la vie Le Tournant de la vie (The Turning Point) est un film américain réalisé par Herbert Ross, sorti en 1977. Sommaire 1 Synopsis 2 Fiche technique 3 Distribution 4 … Wikipédia en Français
Turning Point — or The Turning Point may refer to: * A stationary point, in mathematics * A climax, in narrative structure * A discrimen , one of the two marked points on a cursus or classical period race trackFilm* The Turning Point (1914 film), a silent film… … Wikipedia
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (film) — One Flew Over the Cuckoo s Nest Theatrical release poster Directed by Miloš Forman … Wikipedia
On the turning away — Chanson par Pink Floyd extrait de l’album de l album A Momentary Lapse of Reason Pays Angleterre Sortie 7 septembre 1987 Durée 5:42 Genre(s) … Wikipédia en Français
The Peacemaker (1956 film) — The Peacemaker (1956) is a western film directed by Ted Post and starring James Mitchell, Rosemarie Bowe, and Jan Merlin. Hal Richards based the script on the novel of the same name by Richard Poole. Producer Hal R. Makelim intended The… … Wikipedia
The Godfather Part II — Original film poster Directed by Francis Ford Coppola Produced by … Wikipedia
Film memorabilia — consist of objects considered of value because of their connection to the cinema. These include costumes, props, advertising posters, and scripts, among other things. Fans have always coveted memorabilia, but in recent years, what was once a… … Wikipedia