Lowell Power Canal System and Pawtucket Gatehouse


Lowell Power Canal System and Pawtucket Gatehouse

"Main Article History of Lowell, Massachusetts"

The Lowell Power Canal System is the largest power canal system in the United States, at 5.6 miles in length. The system's estimated output is 10,000 horsepower, operating six major canals on two levels, controlled by numerous gates. The system was begun in the 1790s, beginning its' life as a transportation canal called the Pawtucket Canal, which was constructed to get logs from New Hampshire down the Merrimack River to shipbuilding centers at Newburyport, Massachusetts, bypassing the 30-plus foot drop of the Pawtucket Falls.

In the early 1820s, Associates of the recently-deceased Francis Cabot Lowell bought up the old Pawtucket Canal in what was then East Chelmsford, Massachusetts. Within a few years, the new industrial center that became Lowell was using canals feeding off of a widened and deepened Pawtucket Canal as a direct power source for their textile mills. The first of these canals was the Merrimack Canal, which powered the Merrimack Manufacturing Company. The formation of the Proprietors of Locks and Canals allowed the Associates to sell water power to other companies, starting with the Hamilton Canal, leading to the explosive growth of the town, and then shortly thereafter, city, of Lowell.

By the late 1840s, Lowell's canal system was producing as much power as possible. However, the Chief Engineer of Locks and Canals, an Englishman by the name of James B. Francis divised the Northern Canal and the Moody Street Feeder, to increase the capacity of, and availabilty of water to various parts of, the whole system. The Pawtucket Gatehouse was constructed to control flow from behind the Pawtucket Dam into the Northern Canal. The Gatehouse contains ten wooden gates that control the flow of the Merrimack into the canal. Originally, they were opened by a Francis Turbine, also an invention of James B. Today, the Gatehouse is controlled electrically and remotely by Boott Hydroelectric, who is partially a continuation of the Proprietors of Locks and Canals, and who operates a 24 Megawatt hydroplant on the Northern Canal.

The Canal System and the Gatehouse became Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmarks in 1985.

Timeline

* 1796: Pawtucket Canal
* 1822: Merrimack Canal
* 1825: Hamilton Canal
* 1828: Lowell Canal
* 1831: Lawrence Canal, Western Canal
* 1835: Eastern Canal
* 1847: Northern Canal, Moody Street Feeder, and Pawtucket Gatehouse


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Merrimack Canal — Lowell s canal system today showing the location of the Merrimack Canal. The Merrimack Canal is a power canal in Lowell, Massachusetts. The canal, dug in the 1820s, begins at the Pawtucket Canal just above Swamp Locks, and empties into the… …   Wikipedia

  • List of Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmarks — The following is a list of Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmarks as designated by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers since it began the program in 1971. The designation is granted to existing artifacts or systems representing a… …   Wikipedia

  • List of historic mechanical engineering landmarks — National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmarks are those engineering achievements considered to have exceptional historic value by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). California * Folsom Powerhouse State Historic Park built… …   Wikipedia

  • Merrimack River — For similarly named articles see Merrimack (disambiguation), Merrimac (disambiguation) and Meramec (disambiguation). Coordinates: 42°49′10″N 70°48′43″W / 42.81944°N 70.81194°W …   Wikipedia