- Alexander Nevsky
) has become a slogan of Russian patriots. There is a long tradition of Russian naval vessels bearing Nevsky's name, such as the nineteenth century screw frigate
Alexander Neuskiand a nuclear submarine currently being built for the Russian Navy.
Alexander Nevsky's fame has spread beyond the borders of Russia, and numerous churches are dedicated to him, including the Patriarchal Cathedral at
Sofia, Bulgaria; the Cathedral church in Tallinn, Estonia; a church in Belgrade, Serbia; and a church in Tbilisi, Georgia.
On the 24th of september, 2008, Alexander Nevsky was declared the main hero of Russia’s history, in the
Name_of_RussiaRating Voting, Kommersant Newspaper reported.
Poet Alexander Pushkin was ranked the second and writer Fyodr Dostoevsky is the third, the newspaper Kommersant reported.The list of 12 leaders of the Name of Russia Rating Voting spelled out the following heroes:
1. Alexander Nevsky (2,011,766 votes)
Peter the Great(1,511,367)
Catherine the Great(1,265,784)
Ivan the Terrible(1,216,812)
The Interfax news agency reported on the 22nd of september, 2008, that The Union of Orthodox Citizens proposed to declare St. Alexander Nevsky and archbishop John (Maximovich) heaven guardians for Russian secret service FSB
Rulers of Russia family tree
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral— an incomplete listing of Eastern Orthodox cathedrals which bear his name.
Famous military commanders
* Isoaho, Mari. "The Image of Aleksandr Nevskiy in Medieval Russia: Warrior and Saint (The Northern World; 21)". Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers, 2006 (hardcover, ISBN 90-04-15101-X).
* [http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsViewer.asp?SID=4&ID=1&FSID=103377 Repose of St Alexander Nevsky] Orthodox
iconand synaxarion(November 23)
* [http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsViewer.asp?SID=4&ID=1&FSID=101468 Synaxis of the Saints of Rostov and Yaroslavl] (May 23)
* [http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsViewer.asp?SID=4&ID=1&FSID=102424 Translation of the relics of St Alexander Nevsky] (August 30)
* [http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/RUSSIA,%20Rurik.htm#AleksandrIaroslavichNevskydied1263B Alexander Nevsky's listing in "Medieval Lands" by Charles Cawley.]
* [http://www.kommersant.com/page.asp?id=-13283 The Kommersant Newspaper :Russia’s Hero is Grand Prince Alexander Nevsky] (September 24, 2008)
* [http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=5184 Interfax news agency :Orthodox believers found heaven guardians for Russian secret service] (September 22, 2008)s-start
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Alexander Nevsky — [nef′skē] 1220? 63; Russ. military hero, statesman, & saint * * * … Universalium
Alexander Nevsky — [nef′skē] 1220? 63; Russ. military hero, statesman, & saint … English World dictionary
Alexander Nevsky — Dieser Artikel behandelt den Fürsten Alexander Newski; für den gleichnamigen Film siehe Alexander Newski (Film). Siehe auch Newski Prospekt, Newski Prospekt (Erzählung). Alexander Jaroslawitsch Newski (russisch Александр Ярославич Невский… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Alexander Nevsky — biographical name circa 1220 1263 Russian saint & military hero … New Collegiate Dictionary
ALEXANDER NEVSKY — grand duke of Russia, conquered the Swedes, the Danes, and the Teutonic Knights on the banks of the Neva, freed Russia from tribute to the Mongols, is one of the saints of the Russian Church … The Nuttall Encyclopaedia
Alexander Nevsky — Alexan′der Nev′sky [[t]ˈnɛv ski, ˈnɛf , ˈnyɛf [/t]] n. big (Aleksandr Nevski) 1220?–63, Russian prince, national hero, and saint … From formal English to slang
Alexander Nevsky, St. — … Useful english dictionary
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral — may refer to various Eastern Orthodox cathedrals, all named after Russian saint Alexander Nevsky:* Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Baku in Azerbaijan (no longer extant) * Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Belgrade in Serbia * Alexander Nevsky Cathedral,… … Wikipedia
Alexander Nevsky (disambiguation) — Alexander Nevsky was a Russian statesman and military hero.A number of things are named after him:* Life of Alexander Nevsky, a literary monument * Life of Alexander Nevsky, a 16th century illuminated manuscript * Order of Alexander Nevsky *… … Wikipedia
Alexander Nevsky (Prokofiev) — Alexander Nevsky is the score for the 1938 Sergei Eisenstein film Alexander Nevsky , composed by Sergei Prokofiev. He later rearranged the music in the form of a cantata for mezzo soprano, chorus, and orchestra. It has remained one of the most… … Wikipedia