- William Sohmer
William Sohmer (
May 26, 1852 Kingdom of Württemberg- 1929) was an American politician.
He came with his parents in 1858 to
New Yorkwhere his brother Hugo founded Sohmer & Co.In 1872, he entered the insurance business, and became head of the Niagara Fire Insurance Company.
He was Democratic member from
New York Countyof the New York State Assemblyfrom 1890 to 1892. Afterwards he was appointed a Deputy Tax Commissioner.
In 1894, he was defeated when running for Sheriff of New York County. In 1895 he was elected New York County Register, and in 1897 New York County Clerk.
He was a member of the
New York State Senatefrom 1907 to 1908.
New York State Comptrollerfrom 1911 to 1914, elected in 1910 on the Democratic, and re-elected in 1912 on the Democratic and Independence Leaguetickets, and defeated in 1914 for re-election running on both tickets again.
He was a delegate to the
1912 Democratic National Convention.
He was Treasurer of the Society of St. Tammany from 1910 on.
* [http://politicalgraveyard.com/bio/soapy-solwin.html The Political Graveyard: Index to Politicians: Snyderman to Sombati ] at politicalgraveyard.com Political Graveyard
* [http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9E05E1DF1231E033A25752C1A9679D94659ED7CF] The camapign expenses, in NYT on November 11, 1894
* [http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9B05E0D9113DE433A25752C1A9669D94649ED7CF] The Tammany nominees, in NYT on October 11, 1895
* [http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9A00E1DA123CE433A25753C1A9679D94669ED7CF] The campaign expenses, in NYT on November 10, 1897
* [http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9B00E2D81239E433A25752C0A9669D946196D6CF] The Democratic candidates, in NYT on October 1, 1910
* [http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9D03E5DE133CE633A25757C0A9669D946396D6CF] The Democratic candidates, in NYT on October 4, 1912
* [http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,737464-2,00.html] Death notice in TIME Magazine on March 4, 1929
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sohmer & Co. — Sohmer Co. was a piano manufacturing company founded in New York in 1872. Sohmer Co. marketed the first modern baby grand, and also manufactured pianos with aliquot stringing and bridge agraffes, as well as Cecilian all inside player pianos and… … Wikipedia
New York state election, 1912 — Elections in New York Federal offices Presidential elections 1996 · 2000 · 2004 … Wikipedia
Dunningen — Wappen Deutschlandkarte … Deutsch Wikipedia
New York state election, 1914 — Elections in New York Federal offices Presidential elections 1996 · 2000 · 2004 … Wikipedia
Dunningen — Dunningen … Wikipedia
Clark Williams — Myron Clark Williams (May 2, 1870 Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York December 18, 1946 Greenwich, Fairfield County, Connecticut) was an American banker and politician. Life He was the son of George N. Williams, a banker, and Abigail (Clark)… … Wikipedia
New York state election, 1910 — Elections in New York Federal offices Presidential elections 1996 · 2000 · 2004 … Wikipedia
New York State Comptroller — New York Comptroller redirects here. For the comptroller of the city, see New York City Comptroller. The New York State Comptroller is a state cabinet officer of the U.S. state of New York. The duties of the comptroller include auditing… … Wikipedia
Wm. Knabe & Co. — Wm. Knabe Co. war ein Klavierbauunternehmen in Baltimore, Maryland, das von der Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts bis zum Beginn des 20. aktiv war und später als Tochterunternehmen und Marke der Aeolian American in East Rochester, New York bis 1982… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Wm. Knabe & Co. — Wm. Knabe Co. was a piano manufacturing company in Baltimore, Maryland from the middle of the nineteenth century through the beginning of the 20th century, and continued as a division of Aeolian American at East Rochester, New York until 1982. It … Wikipedia