- Edwinstowe railway station
Edwinstowe railway station is a former railway station in
Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire. It was opened by the Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railwayin March 1897 and closed by British Railin 1955.
From Warsop the line entered the valley of the
River Maunwith Sherwood Forestvisible to the north. This was, and is, an area known as The Dukeries, heavily promoted in the railway's literature in the hope of attracting tourist trade. [Cupit,T., Taylor, W., (1984 2nd.Ed.) "The Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway," Trowbridge: The Oakwood Press]
This was still, in those days, open countryside. Subsequently, when the techniques of deep mining were perfected to penetrate the limestone cap, new collieries were opened, and a little way to the east, a branch was later built to serve Thoresby Colliery, one of the most productive mines at the time. [British Railways Atlas.1947. p.16]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.