- Pacific studies
Pacific studies is the study of the Pacific region (
Oceania) across academic disciplinessuch as anthropology, archeology, art, economics, geography, history, linguistics, literature, music, politics, or sociology.
In the fields of anthropology and linguistics, Oceania is often subdivided into
Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia, while also including Australasia. In archeology and prehistory, Oceaniaextends into the southern Pacific Rimof Asia, especially the islands now comprising Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Taiwan. Study of the history, economics, and politics from the colonial periodon is inextricably bound to that of the major colonial powers: Britain, France, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Russia, the United States, and later Australia, New Zealand, and Indonesia.
Pacific Islanders, Pacific studies involves projects of cultural renaissance, the reclamation and reassertion of cultural identity, while for many others, Pacific studies tends to focus more on modernization and development, on how to understand the region in ways that will improve people's lives (Firth 2003).
Australian National University
National Museum of Ethnology (Japan)
San Diego State University
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
University of Auckland
University of Canterbury
University of California, San Diego
* University of Hawaiokinai
University of Oregon
Asian Perspectives: The Journal of Archaeology for Asia and the Pacific
* Manoa: A Pacific Journal of International Writing
Pacific Studies (journal)
The Contemporary Pacific
The Journal of Pacific History
* Firth, Stewart. 2003. Future Directions in Pacific Studies. "The Contemporary Pacific" 15: 139-148.
* Hviding, Edvard. 2003. Between Knowledges: Pacific Studies and Academic Disciplines. "The Contemporary Pacific" 15: 43-73.
* Thaman, Konai Helu. 2003. Decolonizing Pacific Studies: Indigenous Perspectives, Knowledge, and Wisdom in Higher Education. "The Contemporary Pacific" 15: 1-17.
* Other articles in the "Special Issue: Back to the Future: Decolonizing Pacific Studies, edited by Vilsoni Hereniko and Terence Wesley-Smith, "The Contemporary Pacific" 15 (2003).
* [http://www.hawaii.edu/cpis/ Center for Pacific Islands Studies (UH)]
* [http://interwork.sdsu.edu/center_for_pacific_studies/aboutus.html Center for Pacific Studies (SDSU)]
* [http://w2.byuh.edu/academics/thepacificinstitute/pacstudy.htm Pacific Studies]
* [http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/carfax/00223344.html The Journal of Pacific History]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies — Infobox University name = The Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies University of California, San Diego mission = To shape the Pacific Century by training leaders, creating ideas, and supporting networks to build a… … Wikipedia
Pacific International University — was an unaccredited, conservative, Christian university and seminary located in Springfield, Missouri. 1989 alumnus of Pacific International University Carl Baugh was the university president.cite news |… … Wikipedia
Pacific coast avifauna — Studies in Avian Biology Studies in Avian Biology Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Pacific School of Religion — is an ecumenical seminary located in Berkeley, California. It maintains covenantal relationships with the United Church of Christ, the United Methodist Church and the Disciples of Christ, providing all necessary expectations for candidates to… … Wikipedia
Pacific Journalism Review — Pacific Journalism Review, founded at the University of Papua New Guinea in 1994, is a peer reviewed journal covering media issues and communication in the South Pacific, Asia Pacific, Australia and New Zealand. Since 2002, it has been published… … Wikipedia
Pacific Robin — Pacific Robin P. m. kleinschmidti, Viti Levu, Fiji Conservation status … Wikipedia
Pacific Forum Line — (PFL) is an outstanding, successful example of regional co operation among Pacific Forum nations. It was born from concern over the deterioration of traditional island tramp services due to containerisation. Several studies showed that a South… … Wikipedia
Pacific Chorale — Pacific Chorale, founded in 1968, is a professional chorus performing in Costa Mesa, California at the Renée and Henry Segerstom Concert Hall at the Orange County Performing Arts Center. Artistic Director John Alexander has been the Chorale s… … Wikipedia
Studies in Avian Biology — Pays États Unis Langue anglais Périodicité Irrégulière Genre Série monographique Date de fondat … Wikipédia en Français
Pacific giant salamander — Pacific Giant Salamanders Dicamptodon tenebrosus Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia … Wikipedia