- Daniel Pontet
Daniel Pontet (born 1957) is a Uruguayan-born artist working in the US.
Pontet was born in Montevideo, Uruguay, South America, in and has resided in Miami, Florida since 1991. He developed artistically in Uruguay, under watercolor painter and art teacher Esteban Garino – who taught him the art of drawing and composition - and under artists Americo Sposito and Hector Laborde, who instilled into him the magic of color and a particular emphasis on space and shapes. He also completed courses in Art History at the School of Humanities of the University of the Republic of Uruguay. Furthermore, he studied silkscreen, photography, and computer graphics as a complement to his art education.
The earliest stage of Pontet’s work can be placed within the expressionist and the neo expressionist circles and during this time he uses drawing as a fundamental element. He opens and closes spaces and organizes his balance and refuge in the canvass with grace and strength, as well as drama and lyricism. In this period, he devotes most of his energy and power of expression to depicting a world of indifferent, dauntless, and forlorn characters. Pontet stirs these meditative beings with an expressionist glare, manifesting a deep and underlying reflection on the human condition. He also creates unique rhythmical and chromatic consonances throughout these motifs. Pontet’s early series share outstanding traits characterized by accomplished drawing, well thought-out compositions, mathematically precise structures, distortions and deliberate elongations, as well as the use of a rich polychrome palette of tones and hues.
Today, immersed in a new plastic period called “Metamorphosis,” Pontet is re-creating part of an enigmatic world of symbols. From realism to abstraction, Pontet’s current work – teeming with feelings, thoughts, meditations, and not lacking in lyricism - is eminently plastic. His compositions, far from being descriptive, narrative or literary, are true plastic records of thoughts expressed in two or three-dimensional surfaces. These works of art or “collages” look like accurate maps where we can find a path to think as well as reflect about our own spiritual life. This late series is also characterized by colors extracted from the soil – from brown to red oxide – and incrusted objects – keys, nails, washers, piece of fabrics, threads - which become powerful symbols and metaphors. Each symbol carries a profound spiritual message.
Daniel Pontet started exhibiting in 1975 and has participated in more than 80 art shows. He has received several prizes and acknowledgments and continues to show that his creativity has found no end. Effort and devotion are his most precious tools along with truthfulness.
As the Chilean writer Antonio Landauro once said about Daniel Pontet: “It goes without saying that this creative artist, like all genuine artists, always attains self-expression, whether he is understood, half understood, or not at all.”
- Sculpture -Welding- Sardi’s Studio. Art Center South Florida. Miami Beach - FL, 1997.
- Fine Art Studies. Lucia Ametrano Art Gallery. Montevideo - Uruguay, 1988.
- Art History Courses. School of Humanities, University of Uruguay. Montevideo - Uruguay, 1987-1988.
- Photography -Basic and Advanced- Ateneo de Montevideo. Montevideo - Uruguay, 1983-1984.
- Drawing and Painting, Garino’s Art Studio. Montevideo - Uruguay, 1981.
- Silk-Screen, UTU. Montevideo - Uruguay, 1979.
- Advertising and Artistic Drawing, Garino’s Art Studio. Montevideo - Uruguay, 1976-1977.
- Art Teacher. Pontet’s Art Studio. Miami - FL, 1997-1998.
- Art Teacher. Pontet’s Art Studio. Montevideo - Uruguay, 1987-1990.
- Advertising Teacher, Ateneo de Montevideo. Montevideo - Uruguay, 1982.
Miami Dade College. Miami - FL, 1998. Honor student. Outstanding Academic Achievement. Membership at the Honor Society Phi Theta Kappa. Recognition at National Dean’s List - US.
- Second Prize. Hispanic Heritage Month Art Contest, Nationwide. Columbus - OH, 2004.
- First Prize Miami. Heineken Hispanic Mural Program. Heineken & GenArt. Reprod. at Flagler St. & 27 Ave. Miami – FL, 2004.
- First, Second, and Third Place. Best Original Art Work. Annual Awards Competition, AFCP. Las Vegas – NV, 2003.
- Honorable Mention. New Trends#1. Ralb & Co. Fine Art. Miami - FL, 2001.
- Honorable Mention. 14th Annual Hispanic Heritage Festival. Nations Bank Building. Miami - FL, 1998.
- Honorable Mention. Las Americas. The Florida Museum of Hispanic and Latin American Art. Coral Gables - FL, 1998.
- Third Prize. Nuestro Arte. Johnnie Walker. Miami - FL, 1996.
- First Prize. Design Competition. Victoria Plaza Hotel. Montevideo - Uruguay, 1987.
- Special Mention. 3rd Young Artists Show. Coca-Cola and Pluna. Montevideo - Uruguay, 1987.
- Mention. 3rd Spring Salon. Anglo-Uruguayan Cultural Institute. Montevideo – Uruguay, 1985.
- Mention. 2nd Youth Christian Art Competition. Montevideo - Uruguay, 1985.
- Honorable Mention. 2nd Spring Salon. Anglo-Uruguayan Cultural Institute. Montevideo - Uruguay, 1984.
- 2004 – Present: SYMBOLISM. Metamorphosis: A new artistic stage. Incrusted objects become symbols. Reflections and thoughts as maps with colors extracted from the soil.
- 1987–2004: EXPRESSIONISM. Distortions and deliberated elongations. A polychrome palette of tones and hues.
- 1975–1987: REALISM. Earliest stage. Light and shadows. Particular emphasis on drawing.
- 'Landscapes and Mysteries' by Mariela Murdocco. Banda Oriental Latinoamerica. New York/New Jersey (USA). Year XV, No. 184. Sept 2008 (pp 20–21)
- 'Campos y Misterios' (Landscapes and Mysteries) Exhibition Catalogue. Consulate General of Uruguay. New York, NY (USA) August 2008 (pp 2–4)
- 'Beautiful Minds' MDC Magazine. Miami, FL (USA) MDC. Vol 7, Number 1, Winter 2007. (pp 64–67)
- 'Gallery. Uruguayan Art' by Arturo Arias-Polo. El Nuevo Herald. Miami, FL (USA) August 16, 2007. (Sec D, pg 9)
- 'Arts and Entertainments. Southern Cousins' by Greg Baker. New Times. Miami, FL (USA) August 16–22, 2007. (pg 32)
- 'Pontet: The Spell of Tradition” by A. Landauro. 'Candombe and Boliches' Art Show Catalogue. Consulate Gral. of Uruguay. New York, NY 1996 (pp 2–3)
- 'Art and its Conception' by Daniel Pontet. Osmus. Vol. 4, No. 18. Miami, FL 1996 (pp 40–41/97-99)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of Uruguayans — Artists= *Carlos González (1905 1993) *Sisto Pascale *Virginia Patrone *Álvaro Pemper *Joaquin Torres Garcia *Martin Sastre *Gustavo Vazquez *Petrona Viera (1894 1960) *Daniel Pontet (b.1957)MusiciansInternationally known : *Carlos Gardel… … Wikipedia
List of Latin American artists — A list of Latin American visual artists (painters, sculptors, photographers, video artists, etc.), arranged by nationality:Argentina :: See also Argentine artists * Antonio Berni (1905–1981) * Marcelo Bonevardi (1929 1994) [… … Wikipedia
Listes des voies de Bordeaux — Carte de Bordeaux Cette page présente la liste (et la description éventuelle) des voies de Bordeaux classées par catégories. Sommaire 1 Places … Wikipédia en Français
Avignon — Avignon … Deutsch Wikipedia
Avignon — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Avignon (homonymie). 43° 57′ 00″ N 4° 49′ 01″ E … Wikipédia en Français
Gran Premio de Piriápolis — Mapa del circuito callejero de Piriápolis. El Gran Premio de Piriápolis es una carrera de automovilismo de velocidad que se disputa en el balneario de Piriápolis, Uruguay desde el año 1994. La competencia se ha disputado de manera interrumpida,… … Wikipedia Español
Les ramparts d'avignon — Avignon 43°57′00″N 4°49′01″E / 43.95, 4.81694 … Wikipédia en Français
Championnat de France amateur de football 2010-2011 — Infobox compétition sportive CFA 2010 2011 Sport football Organisateur(s) FFF Lieu … Wikipédia en Français
Critérium du Dauphiné libéré 2008 — Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré Une carte du parcours serait la bienvenue. Généralités Édition … Wikipédia en Français
Championnat de France de rugby à XIII — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Championnat de France de rugby. Infobox compétition sportive Élite 1 … Wikipédia en Français