- Sandal and Walton railway station
Sandal and Walton railway station was opened in
1870by the Midland Railwayon its line from Derby to Leeds Wellington Station.
It was of typical Midland brick-built construction. In 1926 the line was quadrupled, with the new goods lines passing to the east of the platforms. It closed in 1961
To the north of the station a junction had been built to the north of the station in 1868 with a curve to meet the
West Riding and Grimsby Railwayjointly owned by the MS&LR and the GNR. This enabled goods services and southbound passenger trains to run from Wakefield [Pixton, B., (2000) "North Midland: Portrait of a Famous Route," Runpast Publishing] However this service finished during the First World War.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Oakenshaw railway station — Oakenshaw Location Place Oakenshaw Area City of Wakefield Coordinates … Wikipedia
North Midland Railway — [v · d · … Wikipedia
Wakefield — For the larger local government district, see City of Wakefield. For other uses, see Wakefield (disambiguation). Coordinates: 53°40′48″N 1°29′31″W / … Wikipedia