- Family of Barack Obama
Index: A · B · C · D · E · F · G · H · I · J · K · L · M · N · O · P · Q · R · S · T · U · V · W · X · Y · Z · Relationship tree The Obama family
U.S. First Family (2009): Barack Obama, Sasha Obama, Michelle Obama, and Malia Obama in the Green Room of the White House.
Ethnicity African American, English, Kenyan (Luo) Current region Washington, D.C., U.S. Information Place of origin Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S. Notable members Barack Obama, Michelle Obama, Ann Dunham, Barack Obama, Sr.. Connected families Robinson, Dunham, Soetoro, Ng This article is part of a series on
The family of Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States of America, is made up of people of African American, English, Kenyan (Luo), and Irish heritage, who are known through Obama's writings and other reports. His immediate family is the First Family of the United States. The Obamas are the first First Family of African descent.
- Michelle Obama, née Robinson, the wife of Barack Obama, was born on January 17, 1964 in Chicago, Illinois. She is a lawyer and was a University of Chicago Hospital vice-president. She is the First Lady of the United States.
- Malia Obama and Sasha Obama
- Barack and Michelle Obama have two daughters: Malia Ann (pronounced /məˈliːə/), born on July 4, 1998, and Natasha (known as Sasha /ˈsɑːʃə/), born on June 10, 2001. They were both delivered by their parents' friend Dr. Anita Blanchard at University of Chicago Medical Center. Sasha is the youngest child to reside in the White House since John F. Kennedy, Jr. arrived as an infant in 1961.
- Before his inauguration, President Obama published an open letter to his daughters in Parade magazine, describing what he wants for them and every child in America: "to grow up in a world with no limits on your dreams and no achievements beyond your reach, and to grow into compassionate, committed women who will help build that world."
- While living in Chicago, the Obamas kept busy schedules, as the Associated Press reports: "soccer, dance and drama for Malia, gymnastics and tap for Sasha, piano and tennis for both." In July 2008, the family gave an interview to the television series Access Hollywood. Obama later said they regretted allowing the children to be included.
- Malia and Sasha attend the private Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC, the same school as attended by Chelsea Clinton, Tricia Nixon Cox, and Archibald Roosevelt, and currently the grandchildren of Vice President Joe Biden. The Obama girls began classes there on January 5, 2009. While in Chicago, both attended the private University of Chicago Laboratory School.
- In his victory speech on the night of his election, President Obama repeated his promise to Sasha and Malia to get a puppy to take with them to the White House. The selection was slow because Malia is allergic to animal dander; the president subsequently said that the choice had been narrowed down to either a labradoodle or Portuguese Water Dog, and they hoped to find a shelter animal. On April 12, 2009, it was reported that the Obamas had adopted a six-month-old Portuguese Water Dog given to them as a gift from Senator Ted Kennedy; the dog was named Bo by Malia and Sasha.
- Marian Robinson
- Barack Obama's mother-in-law who is currently residing in the White House. She is part of the Robinson family (see below).
Barack and Michelle Obama and family
Barack Obama was raised by his mother Stanley Ann Dunham and grandparents Madelyn and Stanley Armour Dunham. He has often referred to his family during his candidacy and term as President.
- Ann Dunham
- Mother of Barack Obama born in 1942, died in 1995. Born Stanley Ann Dunham, she was an American anthropologist who specialized in economic anthropology and rural development. She earned her Ph.D from the University of Hawaii and worked with the United States Agency for International Development, the Ford Foundation, and Women's World Banking, championing microcredit for the world’s poor. Obama referred to his mother as the dominant figure in his formative years. "The values she taught me continue to be my touchstone when it comes to how I go about the world of politics." 
- Stanley Armour Dunham
- Stanley Dunham is the grandfather of Barack Obama. He was born in 1918 and served as a sergeant in the U.S. Army during World War II, enlisting just after the attacks on Pearl Harbor. Stanley and his wife Madelyn raised Obama in Honolulu, Hawaii. In addition to Obama, Stanley is related to six US presidents: James Madison, Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson, Jimmy Carter, George H. W. Bush, and George W. Bush. He died in Honolulu, Hawaii, in 1992, and is buried at the Punchbowl National Cemetery.
- Ralph Dunham
- Great-uncle of Barack Obama, older brother of Stanley Dunham, born 1916. He served in the U.S. Army as an assignment and personnel officer during World War II, landing at Normandy's Omaha Easy Red Beach on D-Day plus four, working his way through France, Italy and Germany.
- Madelyn Lee Payne Dunham
- Barack Obama's maternal grandmother was born in 1922 and died on November 2, 2008. She was a bank vice president in Hawaii. Obama said that when he was a child, his grandmother "read me the opening lines of the Declaration of Independence and told me about the men and women who marched for equality because they believed those words put to paper two centuries ago should mean something." According to Barack Obama's Dreams from My Father, his great-grandmother Leona McCurry was part Native American, which Obama believed Leona held as a "source of considerable shame" and "blanched whenever someone mentioned the subject and hoped to carry the secret to her grave"; whereas McCurry's daughter (Obama's maternal grandmother) "would turn her head in profile to show off her beaked nose, which along with a pair of jet-black eyes, was offered as proof of Cherokee blood." To date, no concrete evidence has surfaced of Cherokee heritage. Obama's maternal heritage consists mostly of English ancestry, with much smaller amounts of German, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Swiss, and French ancestry.
- Jonathan Singletary Dunham
- Born in Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1640, Barack Obama's 8-greats-grandfather was his earliest ancestor born in North America.
- Charles Thomas Payne
- Great-uncle of Barack Obama, younger brother of Madelyn Dunham, born 1925. Served during World War II in the U.S. Army 89th Infantry Division. Obama has often described Payne's role in liberating Ohrdruf forced labor camp. There was brief media attention when Obama mistakenly identified the camp as Auschwitz during the campaign. In 2009, Payne spoke about this experiences:
Ohrdruf was in that string of towns going across, south of Gotha and Erfurt. Our division was the first one in there. When we arrived there were no German soldiers anywhere around that I knew about. There was no fighting against the Germans, no camp guards. The whole area was overrun by people from the camp dressed in the most pitiful rags, and most of them were in a bad state of starvation.
- Maya Soetoro-Ng
- Half-sister of Barack Obama, born August 15, 1970, in Jakarta, Indonesia. She has another half-brother, Yusuf, and a half-sister, Aya, from her father's second marriage. She is married to Konrad Ng, with whom she has two daughters, Suhaila and Savita. Maya Soetoro-Ng is a teacher in Hawaii.
- Konrad Ng
- Brother-in-law of Barack Obama, born 1974. He is of Malaysian Chinese descent, and his parents are from Kudat and Sandakan, two small towns in Sabah, Malaysia. Ng and his younger brother, Perry, were born and raised in Burlington, Ontario. Perry Ng works for the University of Ottawa. He married Maya Soetoro-Ng at the end of 2003 in Hawaii. They have two daughters, Suhaila and Savita. Konrad Ng currently is a US citizen. He is an assistant professor at the University of Hawaii's Academy of Creative Media. He studied philosophy at McGill University and cultural studies at the University of Victoria before he got his PhD from University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Lolo Soetoro
- The second husband of Ann Dunham and stepfather to Barack Obama, born in Indonesia 1936, died 1987. He is the father of Maya Soetoro-Ng. After his divorce from Dunham, Soetoro married Erna Kustina. She bore him two children, Yusuf Aji Soetoro (b. 1981) and Rahayu Nurmaida Soetoro (b. 1984).
- Robert Wolfley
- Barack Obama's great-great-great-grandfather. He served as a private in Company A, 145th Ohio Infantry during the American Civil War. He is buried in the Olathe Memorial Cemetery in Olathe, Kansas.
The Obamas are members of the Luo, Kenya's third-largest ethnic group, which is part of a larger family of ethnic groups, collectively also known as Luo. This group belongs to the Eastern Sudanic branch of the Nilo-Saharan phylum. The Obama family is largely concentrated in the western province of Nyanza.
- Barack Obama, Sr.
- Barack Obama's father (1936–1982). Government economist in Kenya. In addition to President Obama, Barack Obama Sr. fathered one daughter and at least four sons.
- Sarah Obama (aunt of Barack Obama)
- Aunt of U.S. President Barack Obama and elder sister of his father, born 1933 to Hussein Onyango and Habiba Akumu Obama. (She should not be confused with her stepmother Sarah Onyango Obama, also often called just Sarah Obama, the third wife of Onyango.)
- Hawa Auma Hussein (aunt of Barack Obama)
- Aunt of U.S. President Barack Obama and younger sister of his father, born to Hussein Onyango and Habiba Akumu Obama. She is the sole surviving full sibling of Barack Obama, Sr.
- Hussein Onyango Obama
- Barack Obama's paternal grandfather (c. 1895–1979). (One source gives 1870–1975 as his dates of birth and death, possibly based on his tombstone in his home village., In 1988 Barack Obama found a British document based on a 1928 ordinance showing his grandfather as 35 years old. The date of the document must have been around 1930, which means that his grandfather had indeed been born around 1895.) Onyango was the fifth son of his mother, Nyaoke, who was the first of the five wives of his father, Obama. Barack Obama relates how his step-grandmother Granny Sarah (Sarah Onyango Obama) describes his grandfather: "Even from the time that he was a boy, your grandfather Onyango was strange. It is said of him that he had ants up his anus, because he could not sit still." As a young man, he learned to speak, read and write in English.
- Onyango worked as a mission cook and as a local herbalist. He joined the King's African Rifles during World War I.
- In 1949, Onyango spent at least 6 months in Kamiti Prison. He was probably tried in a magistrates’ court on charges of political sedition or membership of a banned organisation, but the records do not survive, because all such documentation was routinely destroyed in British colonies after six years. He was violently tortured to extract information about the growing insurgency. In his memoir, President Obama described his grandfather's shocking physical state: "When he returned to Alego he was very thin and dirty. He had difficulty walking, and his head was full of lice." For some time, he was too traumatized to speak about his experiences. His wife told his grandson: "From that day on, I saw that he was now an old man." Onyango was permanently scarred, remaining in pain and requiring assistance moving until his death. Although previously working very closely with British colonists, his torture left Onyango bitterly anti-British. During a Sky News interview in 2009, Barack Obama was asked if this negatively affected his view of the British personally and he replied that it did not. "I love the Brits and I think I have shown that affection every time I have visited there. The notion that I would somehow judge countries based on what happened 100 years ago would not make much sense."
- Onyango is sometimes referred to as Mzee Hussein Onyango Obama. The word mzee is a Kenyan honorific meaning "old man" or "elder."
- According to his third wife, Sarah, he originally converted to Catholicism, but took the name Hussein when he later converted to Islam; she said he passed the name, not the religion, on to his children. Luos are given names related to the circumstances of their birth, and Onyango means born in the early morning.
- Habiba Akumu Obama
- Also known as Akumu Nyanjoga (c. 1918-2006). Barack Obama's paternal grandmother, and the second wife of Hussein Onyango Obama. She gave Onyango three children: daughters Sarah and Auma, and son Barack (Barack Obama's father). Her father was named Njango and she was born and raised in the Western Kenyan village of Karabondi. In his memoir Dreams from My Father, her grandson wrote that she was miserable in her marriage and abandoned her husband and children and subsequently married again and moved to present-day Tanzania. Luos are given names related to the circumstances of their birth and Akumu means mysterious birth, a conception after a birth, but before resumption of menses. She took the name Habiba upon her conversion to Islam. A photograph of her holding her son, Barack Sr, on her lap is on the cover of her grandson's memoir. (See image at right margin.)
- Sarah Onyango Obama
- Third wife of Obama's paternal grandfather, born 1922. She is known for short as Sarah Obama and is sometimes referred to as Sarah Ogwel, Sarah Hussein Obama or Sarah Anyango Obama. She lives in Nyang’oma Kogelo village, 30 miles west of western Kenya's main town, Kisumu, on the edge of Lake Victoria. (She should not be confused with her stepdaughter of the same name, Sarah Obama, a daughter of Onyango's second wife, Akumu.)
- Although she is not a blood relation, Barack Obama calls her "Granny Sarah". Sarah, who speaks Luo and only a few words of English, communicates with President Obama through an interpreter.
- On July 4, 2008, she attended the United States Independence Day celebrations in Nairobi, hosted by Michael Ranneberger, the US ambassador in Kenya.
- During the campaign she protested attempts to portray Obama as a foreigner to the United States or a Muslim, saying that while Obama's grandfather had been a Muslim, "In the world of today, children have different religions from their parents." Sarah Obama herself is "a strong believer of the Islamic faith,” in her words.
- Kezia Obama
- (Also known as Kezia Aoko and as "Grace"). Born c. 1940, she is Barack Obama Sr.'s first wife, whom he married in Kenya before studying abroad in the United States. She currently lives in Bracknell, Berkshire, England. On March 22, 2009, Kezia made a guest appearance on the British television show Chris Moyles' Quiz Night. Her sister, Jane, is the 'Auntie Jane' mentioned at the very start of Dreams from My Father when she telephoned Obama to inform him that his father had been killed in a car accident.
- Malik Obama
- Barack Obama's half-brother, also known as Abongo or Roy, born c. March, 1958, son of Barack Obama, Sr. with his first wife, Kezia. Malik Obama was born and raised in Nairobi, Kenya. He earned a degree in accounting from the University of Nairobi. He met his half-brother for the first time in 1985 when Barack flew from Chicago to Washington, D.C., to visit him. Malik and his half-brother Barack were best men at each other's weddings. Barack Obama brought his wife Michelle to Kenya three years later, and they met with Malik again while Barack was introducing Michelle to many other new relatives.
- Although much of the Obama family has dispersed throughout Kenya and overseas, most, including Malik Obama, still considered their rural village on the shores of Lake Victoria to be their true home, and feel that those who have left the village have become culturally "lost". A frequent visitor to the United States, and consultant in Washington, D.C. for several months per year, he nevertheless settled in the Obamas' ancestral home, Nyang’oma Kogelo, a village of several hundred people that he prefers to the city for its slow pace. He runs a small electronics shop a half hour drive outside of town.
- During his brother's presidential campaign, Malik Obama was a spokesman for the extended Obama family in Kenya, dealing with safety and privacy concerns arising from increased attention from the press.
- Auma Obama
- Barack Obama's half-sister, born c. 1960. As of July 2008, development worker in Kenya. She studied German at the University of Heidelberg from 1981 to 1987. After her graduation in Heidelberg she went on for graduate studies at the University of Bayreuth, which awarded her a PhD in 1996. Her dissertation was about the conception of labor in Germany and its literary reflections. Auma Obama has lived in London, and in 1996 married an Englishman, Ian Manners, although they have since divorced. They have a daughter named Akinyi (b. 1997). In 2011 Auma Obama was interviewed for Turk Pipkin's documentary Building Hope.
- Abo Obama
- Barack Obama's alleged half-brother also known as Samson Obama, born 1968. In Dreams from My Father, it is stated that the Obama family doubt Abo and Bernard are the biological sons of Barack Obama, Sr. Abo is a mobile phone shop manager in Kenya. He was barred from entering the United Kingdom after receiving a police caution for a public order offence; he was also accused of but not prosecuted for sexual assault. At the time he had been living illegally in the UK.
- Bernard Obama
- Barack Obama's alleged half-brother, born 1970. Dreams from My Father states that the Obama family doubt Abo and Bernard are the biological sons of Barack Obama, Sr. He had been an auto parts supplier in Nairobi, Kenya, and has one child. Bernard converted to Islam as an adult and has said: "I’m a Muslim, I don’t deny it. My father was raised a Muslim. But it’s not an issue. I don’t know what all the hullabaloo is about." He currently resides in Bracknell, England, with his mother Kezia.
- Ruth Ndesandjo
- Born Ruth Beatrice Baker, in US c. 1937, to Maurice Joseph Baker and Ida Baker of Newton, Massachusetts. Ruth was a 1954 graduate of Brookline High School in Brookline, Massachusetts, and a 1958 graduate of Simmons College in Boston with a degree in business. Ruth was a suburban elementary school teacher when she met and began dating Barack Sr. in Cambridge in June 1964, a month before Barack Sr.'s return to Kenya in August 1964. Ruth followed Obama Sr. back to Kenya five weeks later, and married him in Kenya in a civil ceremony on December 24, 1964. She later became a private kindergarten director in Kenya. Ruth's two sons with Barack Obama, Sr., are Mark and David Ndesandjo; her third son, Joseph Ndesandjo, was born c. 1980 from a subsequent marriage.
- Mark Okoth Obama Ndesandjo
- Barack Obama's half-brother, son of Ruth Nidesand and Barack Obama Sr. He runs an Internet company called WorldNexus that advises Chinese corporations how best to reach international customers. Mark graduated from Brown University, studied physics at Stanford University, received an MBA from Emory University, and has lived in Shenzhen, China, since 2002. Through his mother, he is Jewish and is married to Liu Xuehua (also spelled Liu Zue Hua in some reports), a Chinese woman from Henan Province. He is also an accomplished pianist. In November 2009, he held a press conference for the upcoming publication of his semi-autobiographical novel Nairobi to Shenzhen, and stated that he also planned to write a proper autobiography which would go into more detail about his relationship with Barack Obama.
- David Ndesandjo (c. 1967 – c. 1987)
- Barack Obama's half-brother (also known as David Opiyo Obama), son of Ruth Nidesand and Barack Obama Sr. Killed in a motorcycle accident.
- George Hussein Onyango Obama
- Youngest half-brother of Barack Obama, born c.1982, son of Barack Obama Sr. and Jael (now a resident of Atlanta, Georgia). George was six months old when his father died in an automobile accident, after which he was raised in Nairobi by his mother and a French step-father. He later lived in South Korea for two years while his mother resided there for business reasons. Returning to Kenya, George Obama "slept rough for several years," until his aunt gave him a six-by-eight foot corrugated metal shack in the Nairobi, Kenya, slum of Huruma Flats. As of August 2008, Obama was studying to become a mechanic. George received little attention until being featured in an article in the Italian language edition of Vanity Fair in August 2008, which portrayed him as living in poverty, shame, and obscurity. The article quoted George Obama as saying that he lived "on less than a dollar a month" and stated that he "does not mention his famous half-brother in conversation" out of shame at his poverty. In later interviews George contradicted this picture. In an interview with The Times, he "said that he was furious at subsequent reports that he had been abandoned by the Obama family and that he was filled with shame about living in a slum." He told The Times, "Life in Huruma is good." George Obama said that he expects no favors, that he was supported by relatives, and that reports he lived on a dollar a month were "all lies by people who don’t want my brother to win.” He told The Telegraph that he was inspired by his half-brother. According to Time, George "has repeatedly denied...that he feels abandoned by Obama." CNN quoted him as saying, "I was brought up well. I live well even now. The magazines, they have exaggerated everything... I think I kind of like it here. There are some challenges, but maybe it is just like where you come from, there are the same challenges."
- Omar Okech Obama
- He sometimes goes by a variation of the name of his father Onyango Obama. Half-uncle of Barack Obama, born on June 3, 1944 in Nyang’oma Kogelo. Oldest son of Onyango and Sarah Obama, he moved to the U.S. in 1963 as part of Tom Mboya's Airlift Africa project. Once he arrived in the U.S., Barack Obama Sr. found him a place at a boys’ school then known as Browne & Nichols, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He later dropped out of school and changed his name to O. Onyango Obama. He operated a liquor store in Framingham, Massachusetts, where he resided as of March, 2011. He was subject to a deportation order in 1989. The Boston Herald reports that he may have illegally obtained a driver's license and Social Security Number. After an unsuccessful appeal he was given a new deportation order in 1992. He was arrested on August 24, 2011 for driving under the influence, and subsequently held in jail until September 9, 2011, on a federal immigration warrant. 
- Zeituni Onyango
- Half-aunt of Barack Obama, born May 29, 1952, in Kenya, Onyango is referred to as "Aunti Zeituni" in the memoir Dreams from My Father. She lives in a South Boston public housing facility.
- Yusuf Obama
- Half-uncle of Barack Obama, born c. 1950s in Nyang’oma Kogelo; son of Onyango and Sarah Obama.
- Sayid Obama
- Half-uncle of Barack Obama, born c. 1950s in Nyang’oma Kogelo; son of Onyango and Sarah Obama.
Michelle Robinson Obama's extended family
Barack Obama has called his wife Michelle "the most quintessentially American woman I know." Her family is of African-American heritage, descendents of Africans of the American Colonial Era. Michelle Obama's family history traces back from slavery to Reconstruction to the Great Migration North. Some of Michelle's relatives still reside in South Carolina.
- Jim Robinson
Michelle's earliest known relative on her father's side is her great-great grandfather Jim Robinson, born in the 1850s, who was an American slave on the Friendfield plantation in Georgetown, South Carolina. The family believes that after the Civil War he remained a Friendfield plantation sharecropper for the rest of his life and that he was buried there in an unmarked grave.
Jim married twice, first to a woman named Louiser with whom had two sons, Gabriel and Fraser, Michelle Obama's great-grandfather. There was also a daughter born to the family, but there is no reference to a name and she is believed to have died as a child. His second marriage to Rose Ella Cohen bore 6 other children. Fraser had an arm amputated as a result of a boyhood injury. He worked as a shoemaker, newspaper salesman and in a lumber mill. Carrie Nelson, Gabriel Robinson's daughter, now 80, is the oldest living Robinson and the keeper of family lore.
At least three of Michelle Obama's great-uncles served in the military of the United States. One aunt moved to Princeton, New Jersey, where she worked as a maid, and cooked Southern-style meals for Michelle and her brother, Craig, when they were students at Princeton University.
- Marian Lois Robinson
- Michelle Obama's mother (birthname Marian Lois Shields, born July 30, 1937), now widowed, married Michelle's father, Fraser Robinson, on October 27, 1960. Robinson was formerly a secretary at Spiegel catalog and a bank. While Michelle and Barack Obama were campaigning in 2008, Robinson tended the Obama's young children and does the same while currently living in the White House itself as part of the First Family; she is the first live-in grandmother there since Elivera M. Doud during the Eisenhower administration. Some media outlets have dubbed Robinson the "First Granny". Marian takes Sasha and Malia to school daily and enjoys life in Washington.
- Fraser C. Robinson III
- Michelle Obama's father, born August 1, 1935, died March 6, 1991, married Michelle's mother, Marian Shields, on October 27, 1960. Robinson was a pump worker at the City of Chicago water plant.
- Craig Robinson
- Michelle Obama's brother, born 1962. He is currently head coach of men's basketball at Oregon State University.
- Fraser Robinson, Jr.
- Michelle Obama's grandfather was born on August 24, 1912, in Georgetown, South Carolina, and died on November 9, 1996, aged 84. He was a good student and orator, but moved from South Carolina to Chicago to find better work than he could find at home, eventually becoming a worker for the United States Postal Service. He was married to LaVaughn Johnson. When he retired, they moved back to South Carolina.
- LaVaughn Dolores Johnson
- Michelle Obama's grandmother (February 6, 1915-September 17, 2002) and wife of Fraser Robinson Jr. She was born in Chicago, Illinois, to James Preston Johnson (1880-1920?) and Phoebe (1879-1920?) in Chicago.
- Capers C. Funnye Jr.
- Michelle Obama's first cousin once removed: Funnye’s mother, Verdelle Robinson Funnye (born Verdelle Robinson; August 22, 1930 – April 16, 2000) and Michelle Obama’s paternal grandfather, Fraser Robinson Jr., were siblings. One of America's most prominent African American rabbis, known for acting as a bridge between mainstream Jewry and African Americans.
16. Opiyo 8. Obama 4. Hussein Onyango Obama 9. Nyaoke 2. Barack Hussein Obama, Sr. 10. Njango 5. Akumu Nyanjoga 11. NN 1. 24. Jacob William Dunham 12. Ralph Waldo Emerson Dunham, Sr. 25. Mary Ann Kearney 6. Stanley Armour Dunham 26. Harry Ellington Armour 13. Ruth Lucille Armour 27. Gabriella Clark 3. Stanley Ann Dunham 28. Charles Thomas Payne 14. Rolla Charles Payne 29. Della L. Wolfley 7. Madelyn Lee Payne 30. Thomas Creekmore McCurry 15. Leona Belle McCurry 31. Margaret Belle Wright
16. Jim Robinson 8. Fraser Robinson, Sr. 17. Louisa 4. Fraser Robinson, Jr. 9. Rose Ella "Rosella" Cohen 2. Fraser C. Robinson III 20. Ruben Johnson 10. James P. Johnson 21. Carrie Don 5. LaVaughn Dolores Johnson 22. Nelson Moten 11. Phoebe Moten 23. Mary 1. 24. Dolphus Theodore Shields 12. Robert Lee Shields 25. Alice Easley 6. Purnell Nathaniel Shields 26. Nathan Law 13. Anna Estelle Lawson 27. Fannie L. Humphrey 3. Marian L. Shields 28. Peter Jumper 14. James Jumper 29. Eliza Wade 7. Rebecca Jumper (or Coleman) 30. Nelson Tinsely 15. Eliza Tinsley 31. Nancy Morehead
Barack Obama Stanley
c. 1967 – c. 1987
Michelle Obama Fraser
(born c. 1952;
of the U.S.A.
Head coach of
of the United States
According to genealogists, Barack Obama's distant cousins include the multitude of descendants of his maternal ancestors from all along the early-American Atlantic seaboard as well as paternal, Kenyan relations belonging to the Luo tribe, many descending from a 17th century ancestor named Owiny. For example, George W. Bush, the 43rd U.S. president, is the eleventh cousin of Barack Obama. The New York Times science writer Nicholas Wade argues that with eleven generations leading back to their common progenitor, Samuel Hinckley, the relationship between the 43rd President and the 44th President is "genetically meaningless".
- Selected genealogical relationships
According to William Reitwiesner he is 22nd cousin 2 times removed. According to Ancestors of Barack Hussein Obama: 50 Generations by Lorina Boliq, Senator McCain is also Obama's 24th cousin 6 times removed.
According to Barack Obama's family lore (and confirmed by the New England Historic Genealogical Society), the President and Hickok are sixth cousins, six-times removed.
Goodnight helped inspire Pulitzer Prize-winning author Larry McMurtry to create a protagonist for his novel series Lonesome Dove: Woodrow Call. In Dove's television novela, Woodrow Call's partner is Gus McCrae, portrayed by Obama's eighth cousin, twice removed, actor Robert Duvall.[dead link]
It is claimed that Obama may also be distantly related to U.S. Presidents James Madison, Lyndon Johnson, Gerald Ford, and U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney, U.S. Civil War General Robert E. Lee, and actor Brad Pitt.[dead link]
Boliq's research additionally indicates that Elvis Presley is Obama's 21st cousin 3 times removed.
According to Chicago Sun-Times reporter Scott Fornek, another Obama progenitor, Catherine Goodnight, was the grandniece of George Goodnight, who was in turn great-grandfather of famed cattleman Charles Goodnight.[dead link]
Harry S. Truman
Actor Duvall is distant cousins with United States President Harry Truman, who's likewise a fourth cousin, four times removed, of Obama's.[dead link]
Notable women Obama is related to include painter Georgia O’Keeffe.
Five volumes of family genealogy (as compiled at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah), were presented by Mormon leaders to Obama in July 2009. In a statement, Obama said he was "looking forward to reading through the materials with my daughters. It’s something our family will treasure for years to come."
- U.S. Presidential genealogical relationships
- New England Historic Genealogical Society
- Gary Boyd Roberts
- ^ "Researchers: Obama has German roots". Usatoday.Com. 2009-06-04. http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-06-04-obama-roots_N.htm. Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- ^ Megan Smolenyak (December 2008). The Quest for Obama's Irish Roots. ancestry.com. http://books.google.com/books?id=ITgEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA46&dq=obama+irish+smolenyak&hl=en&ei=augMTe7OPIOglAei38i6BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=obama%20irish%20smolenyak&f=false.
- ^ a b Reitwiesner, William Addams. "Ancestry of Barack Obama". http://www.wargs.com/political/obama.html. Retrieved October 9, 2008.
- ^ a b c d e f g h Murray, Shailagh (October 2, 2008). "A Family Tree Rooted In American Soil: Michelle Obama Learns About Her Slave Ancestors, Herself and Her Country". The Washington Post: p. C01. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/01/AR2008100103169.html. Retrieved October 10, 2008.
- ^ Sheridan, Michael (February 5, 2007). "Secrets of Obama Family Unlocked". Muslim Observer. http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=ae5895fc29971b172938790be94ab107. Retrieved November 21, 2008.
- ^ RTE news report March, 2007: Obamas Irish family links discovered by ancestry.co.uk
- ^ McCormick, John (2009-07-03). "Malia Obama's birthday: President's oldest daughter will turn 11 as thousands descend on White House lawn for 4th of July". chicagotribune.com. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-white-house-birthday-03-jul03,0,7370155.story. Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- ^ O'Neill, Xana (2009-06-10). "Birthday Girl Sasha Obama Celebrates in London". NBC Washington. http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/archive/NATL-Birthday-Girl-Malia-.html. Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- ^ Kantor, Jodi (December 13, 2008). "Obama’s Friends Form Strategy to Stay Close". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/us/politics/14friends.html. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- ^ "Sasha Obama". Baltimore Sun. http://www.baltimoresun.com/topic/politics/sasha-obama-PECLB004381.topic. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ a b Obama, Barack (January 13, 2009). "'What I Want for You--And Every Child in America'". http://www.parade.com/news/2009/01/barack-obama-letter-to-my-daughters.html.
- ^ Sobieraj Westfall, Sandra (June 23, 2008). "Barack Obama Gives Daughter $1 Allowance a Week". People Magazine. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20214569_1,00.html. Retrieved November 21, 2008.
- ^ Lester, Will (July 23, 2008). "Obama daughters keep hectic schedules of their own". Associated Press. http://elections.apnews.com/apelect/db_6911/contentdetail.htm;jsessionid=8314A43012AB5FF1D0697247362D8752?contentguid=H95QubFb&full=true. Retrieved August 4, 2008.
- ^ Hiro, Anne. "Obama regrets letting "Access Hollywood" interview daughters. Won't do it again. MSNBC's Dan Abrams gets the story behind the story. -Lynn Sweet". Blogs.suntimes.com. http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/07/obama_regrets_letting_access_h.html. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ Swarns, Rachel (November 21, 2008). "And the Winner Is … Sidwell Friends". The New York Times. http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/21/and-the-winner-is-sidwell-friends/. Retrieved November 21, 2008.
- ^ Tolin, Lisa (January 5, 2009). "Obama girls start school with photographers in tow". Associated Press. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g6mv_lkODQMmQdpyIEnr8Zpm5mogD95H8KA80. Retrieved January 6, 2009.
- ^ Ahmed, Saeed (November 5, 2008). "Move over Barney, new dog moving into White House". CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/11/05/presidential.pets/index.html. Retrieved November 21, 2008.
- ^ "Obama: Getting a dog isn't easy". Associated Press. November 7, 2008. http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10927292. Retrieved November 21, 2008.
- ^ Janice Lloyd (January 12, 2009). "Obamas down to Labradoodle or Portuguese water dog". USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-01-11-obama-dog_N.htm. Retrieved January 28, 2009.
- ^ a b First Puppy Makes a Big Splash
- ^ a b Scott, Janny (March 14, 2008). "A free-spirited wanderer who set Obama’s path". The New York Times: p. A1. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/14/us/politics/14obama.html?pagewanted=all. Retrieved February 13, 2009.
- ^ "Obama had multiethnic existence in Hawaii: Sections of potential 2008 candidate's life drawing greater scrutiny". February 6, 2007. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17003563/. Retrieved February 9, 2008.
- ^ Zeleny, Jeff (November 4, 2008). "Madelyn Dunham, Obama's grandmother, dies at 86". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/world/americas/04iht-obama.1.17505156.html. Retrieved November 4, 2008.
- ^ "MADELYN DUNHAM, OBAMA’S GRANDMOTHER, DIES". November 3, 2008. http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/?p=17269. Retrieved September 9, 2009.
- ^ Essoyan, Susan (November 3, 2008). "Madelyn Dunham blazed a trail for women in banking". http://www.starbulletin.com/news/Madelyn_Dunham_blazed_a_trail_for_women_in_banking.html. Retrieved 2008-011-03.
- ^ "Duke to publish dissertation by Obama's mother". The Washington Post. Associated Press. May 4, 2009. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/04/AR2009050403125.html. Retrieved May 4, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ Jones, Tim (March 27, 2007). "Barack Obama: Mother not just a girl from Kansas; Stanley Ann Dunham shaped a future senator". Chicago Tribune: p. 1 (Tempo). http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/obama/chi-0703270151mar27-archive,0,5853572,full.story. Retrieved February 16, 2009.
. (March 27, 2007). "Video: Reflections on Obama's mother (02:34)". Chicago Tribune. http://www.chicagotribune.com/video/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=1323174. Retrieved February 16, 2009.
- ^ "President Barack Obama's Ancestors and Kinships". http://www.newenglandancestors.org/about/7320.asp. Retrieved June 6, 2009.
- ^ Fornek, Scott (September 9, 2007). "Mareen Duvall: No More Striking Figure". Chicago Sun-Times. http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/familytree/545456,BSX-News-wotreej09.stng. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- ^ "Obama's Gramps: Gazing skyward on D-Day". http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/31016975//. Retrieved June 6, 2009.
- ^ Benac, Nancy (May 31, 2009). "Obama's Gramps: Backing Patton's army after D-Day". Forbes. Associated Press. http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/06/01/ap6486427.html. Retrieved June 1, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ "CNN: "Obama's grandmother dies after battle with cancer"". November 4, 2008. http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/03/obama.grandma/index.html. Retrieved November 4, 2008.
- ^ Obama, Barack (2004). Dreams from My Father:A Story of Race and Inheritance. Three Rivers Press (First ed. 1995, Times Books). ISBN 1400082773.
- ^ "‘Toot’: Obama grandmother a force that shaped him". via Associated Press. August 25, 2008. http://www.thekansan.com/news/x1311851415/-Toot-Obama-grandmother-a-force-that-shaped-him. Retrieved August 29, 2008.
- ^ The 89th Infantry Division, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- ^ a b Johnson, Carla K. (July 22, 2008). "Obama's great-uncle recalls liberating Nazi camp". Associated Press. Boston, Massachusetts: Boston Globe. http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/07/22/obamas_great_uncle_recalls_liberating_nazi_camp. Retrieved April 17, 2009.
- ^ Major Garrett (May 27, 2008). "Obama Campaign Scrambles to Correct the Record on Uncle's War Service". FOXNews.com. http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/05/27/recollection-of-obama-familys-service-missing-key-details. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ "Spiegel Interview With Obama's Great-Uncle : 'I Was Horrified by Lengths Men Will Go to Mistreat Other Men'". Speigel. May 26, 2009. http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,626703,00.html. Retrieved October 19, 2009.
- ^ "Democrats salute Obama’s great uncle". Jewish Telegraphic Agency. August 28, 2008. http://jta.org/news/article/2008/08/28/110123/obamapayne. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ Obama Family Tree dgmweb.net
- ^ a b Green, Stephanie; Glover, Elizabeth (August 10, 2009). "Sister and niece act". The Washington Times. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/aug/10/green-glover-sister-and-niece-act/. Retrieved September 23, 2009.
- ^ a b Nolan, Daniel (January 21, 2009). "Obama's Burlington kin share in the celebration swearing-in". Hamilton Spectator. http://www.thespec.com/News/CanadaWorld/article/499707. Retrieved March 31, 2009.
- ^ Obama has links to Malaysia
- ^ Nolan, Daniel (June 11, 2008). "Relative: Obama's got 'a good handle on Canada'". The Hamilton Spectator. http://www.thespec.com/burlingtonlife/article/384475. Retrieved July 3, 2008.
- ^ Nolan, Daniel (June 11, 2008). "Obama's Burlington connection". The Hamilton Spectator. http://www.thespec.com/article/384307. Retrieved June 21, 2008. [dead link]
- ^ Misner, Jason (June 20, 2008). "Barack Obama was here". Burlington Post. http://www.burlingtonpost.com/printarticle/186215. Retrieved July 3, 2008.
- ^ Fornek, Scott (September 9, 2007). "'He helped me find my voice'". Chicago Sun-Times. http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/familytree/545473,BSX-News-wotreehh09.article.
- ^ Cooper, Tom (January 20, 2009). "Keep watch for Obama". The Hamilton Spectator. http://www.thespec.com/Opinions/article/499161. Retrieved January 28, 2009.
- ^ Chicago Sun Times article with her picture
- ^ Kemp, Brian (June 18, 2008). "Obama in Canada: 'Uncle Rocky' and his Burlington family ties". CBC news. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/06/18/f-ng.html. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- ^ University of Hawaii at Manoa, Academy of Creative Media Faculty. Retrieved on 2009-9-5
- ^ Habib, Ridlwan. "Keluarga Besar Lolo Soetoro, Kerabat Dekat Calon Presiden Amerika/Lolo Soetoro's Extended Family, Close Relatives to American Presidential Nominee". Jawa Pos Daily. November 5, 2008 Edition.
- ^ "President Obama has ties to metro's Memorial Day celebrations". .nbcactionnews.com. 2010-03-16. http://www2.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_kansas/johnson_county/president-obama-has-ties-to-metro%27s-memorial-day-celebrations. Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- ^ Ancestry of Barack Obama
- ^ a b Dreams from my Father, p. 408.
- ^ http://reuters.viewdle.com/video/Kenyans+in+Kisumu+area,+the+birthplace+of+Obamas+father,+celebrate+on+...?vid=reuters-200811053163WD-KENYA-US_ELEX-OBAMA_FAMILY-1225901556.mpg&pid=fbbeca19a1a47bf9c7cba422820296e0
- ^ Dreams from My Father, p. 376
- ^ a b Kenya: Special Report: Sleepy Little Village Where Obama Traces His Own Roots (Page 2 of 2)
- ^ Dreams from My Father, pp. 425-426.
- ^ Dreams from My Father, p. 396.
- ^ a b Dreams from My Father, p. 397.
- ^ a b Dreams from My Father, p. 400.
- ^ Leicht, Linda (June 16, 2009). "Widening horizons". Springfield News-Leader. http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009906130325. Retrieved June 16, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ MacIntyre, Ben; Orengoh, Paul (December 3, 2008). "Beatings and abuse made Barack Obamas grandfather loathe the British". The Times (London). http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article5276010.ece. Retrieved May 2, 2010.
- ^ "Obama's Praise For 'Extraordinary' Britain". Sky News. July 12, 2009. http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/President-Barack-Obama-Exclusive-Sky-News-Interview-From-Ghana-Praises-British-Military/Article/200907215336045.
- ^ a b Houreld, Katharine (March 5, 2008). "Obama's grandma slams 'untruths'". USA Today. Associated Press. http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-03-05-obama-kin_N.htm. Retrieved May 2, 2010. See also this correction.
- ^ a b "Appendix:Luo surnames", Wikitionary, archived from the original on September 13, 2006, http://web.archive.org/web/20060913000000/http%3A//en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix%3ALuo_surnames, retrieved June 28, 2009
- ^ http://peterfirstbrook.com/book_theobamas.html
- ^ Oywa, John (2004-08-15). "Special Report: Sleepy Little Village Where Obama Traces his Own Roots". http://allafrica.com/stories/200408160533.html.
- ^ http://nymag.com/news/articles/09/11/nymag-obamafamily-091123.pdf
- ^ a b http://www.eastandard.net/archives/sports/InsidePage.php?id=1143998542[dead link]
- ^ Dreams from My Father, pp. 408-412.
- ^ Leo Odera Omolo (December 23, 2008). "Fighting to ge a share of the Obamas: The proposed Obama Snr museum has caused a big split in the family of the US President-elect right in the miiddle.". Wordpress.com. http://africanpress.wordpress.com/2008/12/23/the-proposed-barrack-obama-snr-museum-has-caused-a-big-split-in-th-family-of-the-us-president-elect-right-in-the-middle. Retrieved October 19, 2009.
- ^ "Q&A ON THE NEWS". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. February 25, 2009. http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/stories/2009/02/25/questi0225.html. Retrieved February 27, 2009.
- ^ a b Crilly, Rob (February 27, 2008). "Dreams from Obama's Grandmother". Time Magazine, Inc.. http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1717590,00.html?xid=rss-topstories. Retrieved July 3, 2008.
- ^ Pflanz, Mike (January 11, 2008). "Barack Obama's Kenyan relatives keep faith". London: Daily Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/09/wuspols1009.xml.
- ^ Fornek, Scott (September 9, 2007). "Sarah Obama - 'Sparkling, laughing eyes'". Chicago Sun-Times. http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/familytree/545459,BSX-News-wotreeu09.article.
- ^ In Kenya, Barack Obama’s family prays for end to conflict - Times Online
- ^ "Barack Obama in Kenya". CNN. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikg6gj71U9k.
- ^ Daily Nation, July 8, 2008: Obama granny's day out with envoys and top politicians
- ^ Kantor, Jodi (April 30, 2007). "A Candidate, His Minister and the Search for Faith". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/30/us/politics/30obama.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin&oref=slogin. Retrieved May 2, 2010.
- ^ "The Standard | Online Edition :: Fascinating story of Obama family". Eastandard.net. http://www.eastandard.net/uselections/InsidePage.php?id=1143998528. Retrieved 2010-08-11. [dead link]
- ^ "Kenya: All Obama kin to spend voting day in Kogelo". afrika.no. October 27, 2008. http://www.afrika.no/Detailed/17321.html. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ Cohen, Roger (March 6, 2008). "The Obamas of the World - New York Times". Nytimes.com. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/06/opinion/06cohen.html. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ a b Sanderson, Elizabeth (January 6, 2008). "Barack Obama's stepmother living in Bracknell reveals the close bond with him ... and his mother". Daily Mail (London). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-506338/Barack-Obamas-stepmother-living-Bracknell-reveals-close-bond---mother.html.
- ^ Lindsay, Anna (January 20, 2009). "Barack's bingo-loving stepmother". BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/7834368.stm.
- ^ http://www.channel4.com/programmes/chris-moyles-quiz-night/catch-up#2871249[dead link]
- ^ "New Vision Online : Keziah: First and last wife of Obama Sr". Newvision.co.ug. 2009-01-02. http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/8/26/666733. Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- ^ jpt (June 18, 2008). "From the Fact Check Desk: What Did Obama's Half-Brother Say About Obama's Background". ABC News. http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/06/from-the-fact-c.html.
- ^ a b c d e f Maliti, Tom (October 26, 2004). "Obama's Brother Chooses Life in Slow Lane". Associated Press. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6333496.
- ^ Dreams from my Father, p. 265.
- ^ Dreams from my Father, p. 262.
- ^ a b *Oywa, John (August 15, 2004). "Sleepy Little Village Where Obama Traces His Own Roots". The Daily Nation. http://allafrica.com/stories/200408160533.html.
- ^ Philip Ochieng (November 1, 2004). "From Home Squared to the US Senate: How Barack Obama Was Lost and Found". The East African. Archived from the original on March 14, 2008. http://web.archive.org/web/20080314130924/http%3A//www.nationmedia.com/EastAfrican/01112004/Features/PA2-11.html. Retrieved March 23, 2008.
- ^ Warah, Rasna (June 9, 2008). "We cannot lay claims on Obama; he's not one of us - Obama in this world". Daily Nation. http://www.nationmedia.com. Retrieved July 10, 2008.
- ^ Scott Fornek (September 9, 2007). "AUMA OBAMA: 'Her restlessness, her independence'". Chicago Sun Times. http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/familytree/545465,BSX-News-wotreew09.article. Retrieved March 23, 2008.
- ^ a b c Gathmann, Florian; Gregor Peter Schmitz, Jochen Schönmann (July 24, 2008). "Studentin in der Bundesrepublik: Wie Auma Obama mit Deutschland haderte" (in German). Spiegel Online. http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,567286,00.html. Retrieved July 24, 2008.
- ^ "Obama relative 'to stand as MP'". BBC News. May 28, 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8072088.stm. Retrieved May 2, 2010.
- ^ Ridley, Jane (March 30, 2009). "President Obama's British Step-mom, Kezia Obama, proud her son is meeting Queen". Daily News (New York). http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/03/30/2009-03-30_president_obamas_british_stepmom_kezia_o.html. Retrieved April 2, 2009.
- ^ "Flight attendant chats with Obama's brother". thisisnottingham.co.uk. January 20, 2009. http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Flight-attendant-chats-Obama-s-brother/article-625675-detail/article.html. Retrieved April 11, 2009.
- ^ "Obama brother refused entry to UK". bbc.co.uk. April 12, 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7995544.stm. Retrieved April 12, 2009.
- ^ "Barack Obama's brother banned from Britain over 'sex assault' lie". mirror.co.uk. April 11, 2009. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/04/11/barack-obama-s-brother-banned-from-britain-over-sex-assault-lie-115875-21272142/. Retrieved April 11, 2009.
- ^ "Obama's brother refused entry to UK". newsoftheworld.co.uk. April 11, 2009. http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/260464/Barrack-Obama-brother-Samson-Obama-refused-entry-to-UK-over-allegations-of-attempted-sex-attack-on-young-girl.html. Retrieved April 11, 2009.
- ^ a b Harvey, Oliver (07-26 2008). "Obama's brother is in Bracknell". The Sun (London). http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/the_real_american_idol/article1472877.ece. Retrieved October 6, 2008.
- ^ a b c d Jacobs, Sally H. (2011). The other Barack: the bold and reckless life of President Obama's father. New York: PublicAffairs. pp. 160–161, 165, 172–174, 177, 187–190, 193–196, 199–202, 226–227, 230–231, 247. ISBN 1586487930.
- ^ "Madari Kindergarten". http://www.madarikindergarten.com/.
- ^ Barack Obama’s brother pushes Chinese imports on US - Times Online
- ^ Obama half-brother runs Internet company in China
- ^ Roger Cohen (March 17, 2008). "Obama's Brother in China". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/opinion/29cohen.html. Retrieved March 23, 2008.
- ^ The Jewish Connection "Chief Rabbi Metzger says Obama's Jewish half brother will lobby to release Pollard" 4;16
- ^ "Obama's half brother performs in China". China Daily. January 17, 2009. http://szdaily.sznews.com/html/2009-01/19/content_494617.htm. Retrieved March 26, 2009.
- ^ Lai, Jane (2009-01-19). "Obama’s half brother goes public". Shenzhen Daily. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-01/17/content_7406508_2.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- ^ "Youku Buzz (daily) » Blog Archive » Barack Obama’s Half-Brother in Concert". Buzz.youku.com. January 18, 2009. http://buzz.youku.com/2009/01/18/barack-obamas-half-brother-in-concert/. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ Pomfret, James (2009-11-04). "Obama's brother emerges in China with novel". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSHKG21373820091104. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- ^ jaketapper (July 28, 2008). "Political Punch: Barack Obama's Branch-y Family Tree". Blogs.abcnews.com. http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/07/barack-obamas-1.html. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ http://www.geditcom.com/samples/Obamas/INDIs/II89.html
- ^ Fornek, Scott (September 9, 2007). "HALF-BROTHER GEORGE: 'I would be there for him'". Chicago Sun-Times. http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/familytree/545447,BSX-News-wotreecc09.stng. Retrieved August 4, 2008.
- ^ a b c d e Pflanz, Mike (August 21, 2008). "Barack Obama is my inspiration, says lost brother". The Daily Telegraph (London). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/barackobama/2595688/Barack-Obama-is-my-inspiration-says-lost-brother.html. Retrieved August 23, 2008. [dead link]
- ^ a b c Crilly, Rob (August 22, 2008). "Life is good in my Nairobi slum, says Barack Obama's younger brother". The Times (London). http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4583353.ece. Retrieved August 23, 2008.
- ^ Being Obama’s Brother, by George Obama, Newsweek, January 2, 2010
- ^ a b McKenzie, David (2008-08-23). "Behind the Scenes: Meet George Obama". CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/22/bts.obama.brother/. Retrieved 2008-10-26.
- ^ Pisa, Nick (August 20, 2008). "Barack Obama's 'lost' brother found in Kenya". London: Daily Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/barackobama/2590614/Barack-Obamas-lost-brother-found-in-Kenya.html. Retrieved August 20, 2008. [dead link]
- ^ Wadhams, Nick (October 7, 2008). "Corsi in Kenya: Obama's Nation Boots Obama Nation Author". TIME. http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1847965,00.html?imw=Y. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ a b c d e Sacchetti, Maria; Dan Adams (August 31, 2011). "Obama’s uncle is called a fugitive". Boston Globe (Boston: The New York Times Company). http://articles.boston.com/2011-08-31/news/29949966_1_zeituni-onyango-immigration-status-boston-immigration-judge. Retrieved 09/03/2011.
- ^ a b "Packie owner praises Prez’s troubled uncle". Boston Herald. August 31, 2011. http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/2011_0831says_hed_have_him_back_in_a_heartbeat/srvc=home&position=2. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- ^ a b c "The Obama Family Tree" (PDF). Chicago Sun-Times. September 9, 2007. http://www.suntimes.com/images/cds/MP3/obamatree.pdf. Retrieved November 23, 2008.
- ^ Bone, James; Philp, Catherine (August 29, 2011). "Barack Obama's uncle has been arrested and held as illegal immigrant". The Australian. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/barack-obamas-uncle-has-been-arrested-and-held-as-illegal-immigrant/story-e6frg6so-1226124269032.
- ^ a b c Sacchetti, Maria (September 09, 2011). "Obama’s uncle quietly released from jail". Boston Globe (Boston: The New York Times Company). http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/09/09/obamas_uncle_quietly_released_from_jail/?p1=Local_Links. Retrieved 09/09/2011.
- ^ Wedge, Dave and Laurel J. Sweet. President Obama’s uncle had Social Security ID, Boston Herald, August 30, 2011.
- ^ Lavoie, Denise (August 29, 2011). "Official: Obama uncle here illegally since 1992". Grand Junction Daily Sentinel. http://hosted2.ap.org/COGRA/APUSnews/Article_2011-08-31-Obama%27s%20Uncle-Arrest/id-1a303322efd34df3a590c3a9ca6791cf.
- ^ Zaremba, John; Szaniszlo, Marie (September 10, 2011). "President’s uncle released by feds, but must ‘check in’". Boston Globe (Boston: The New York Times Company). http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/2011_0910presidents_uncle_released_by_feds_but_must_check_in/srvc=home&position=4. Retrieved 09/10/2011.
- ^ First read, MSNBC
- ^ "Barack Obama's aunt found living in rundown public housing estate | The Australian". Theaustralian.news.com.au. October 31, 2008. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24578185-5017121,00.html. Retrieved January 31, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ Boston Housing Authority ‘flabbergastered’ Barack Obama’s aunt living in Southie
- ^ Kilner, Derek (November 5, 2008). "Kenya Celebrates President Obama as Native Son". Voice Of America. http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2008-11/2008-11-5-voa45.cfm. Retrieved December 24, 2008. [dead link]
- ^ Taylor Marsh (August 25, 2008). "Political Analysis, National Security and Breaking News". Taylor Marsh. http://www.taylormarsh.com/archives_view.php?id=28286. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ a b Lia LoBello (January 2, 2008). "First Families: Radar introduces you to the next president's relatives". Radar Online. http://www.radaronline.com/features/2008/07/john_mccain_barack_obama_michelle_cindy_dunham_roberta_wrigh_04.php. Retrieved January 28, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ Rachel L. Swarns (January 9, 2009). "Obama’s Mother-in-Law to Move Into the White House". The New York Times. http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/09/obamas-mother-in-law-to-move-into-the-white-house/?hp. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- ^ a b "Will Obama mum-in-law make it a family affair in the White House?". Agence France Presse. November 22, 2008. http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gN_i2jrCVkJQgfMbSDRRrNk8U4Sw. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- ^ Philip Sherwell (2008-November 9, 2008). "Michelle Obama persuades First Granny to join new White House team". London: The Telegraph (UK). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3407525/Michelle-Obama-persuades-First-Granny-to-join-new-White-House-team.html. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- ^ "'First granny' embraces life in D.C.". Politico. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61719.html. Retrieved 12 September 2011.
- ^ "RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Dowling Family Genealogy". Wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com. http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dowfam3&id=I105855. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ "Oregon State University Beavers: Craig Robinson bio". http://www.osubeavers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=106239&SPID=1954&DB_OEM_ID=4700&ATCLID=1436883&Q_SEASON=2008. Retrieved August 21, 2008. [dead link]
- ^ Weiss, Anthony (September 2, 2008). "Michelle Obama Has a Rabbi in Her Family". The Forward. http://www.forward.com/articles/14121/. Retrieved October 9, 2008.
- ^ Gary Boyd Roberts. "Notes on the Ancestry of Senator Barack Hussein Obama, Jr". New England Historic Genealogical Society. http://www.newenglandancestors.org/research/services/articles_ancestry_barack_obama.asp. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ Scott Fornek (September 9, 2007). "Obama Family Tree". Chicago Sun-Times. http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/familytree/545463,BSX-News-wotreer09.stng. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ "Obama-Bush (family tree)" (PDF). New England Historic Genealogical Society. http://www.newenglandancestors.org/pdfs/obama_bush.pdf. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ Wade, Nicholas (October 21, 2007). "Barack Obama - Dick Cheney - Ancestry and Genealogy - Washington - New York Times". Nytimes.com. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/weekinreview/21basic.html. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ "The genealogical relationships between Barack Obama and John McCain". http://www.wargs.com/political/om.html.
- ^ Eastman, Dick (July 30, 2008). "Barack Obama is Related to Wild Bill Hickok". Blog.eogn.com. http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2008/07/barack-obama-is.html. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ a b c Scott Fornek (September 9, 2007). "Obama Family Tree". Suntimes.com. http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/familytree/545441,BSX-News-wotreec09.stng. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ "Notes on the Ancestry of Senator Barack Hussein Obama, Jr". New England Historic Genealogical Society. August 14, 2002. http://www.newenglandancestors.org/research/services/articles_ancestry_barack_obama.asp. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ "Obama, Clinton and McCain have some famous relations". HeraldNet - AP. March 26, 2008. http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080326/NEWS02/151343661. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ "Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need". My.barackobama.com. July 31, 2008. http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/williambrehm/gG5TVR. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- ^ "Ancestors Of Barack Hussein Obama: 50 Generations (Paperback) ~ Lorina Bolig (Product Description)". Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/reader/1434806693?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=sib%5Fdp%5Fpt#noop. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- ^ http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hS8mb9g9irY5nCy3bp_J207-o7HwD99IGGCO4[dead link]
- ^ Henley, Jon, = May 23, 2011 Obama's visit greeted with jubilation in Moneygall, The Guardian, http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/23/obama-visit-jubilation-moneygalldate = May 23, 2011
- "Fashionable first daughters, Malia and Sasha" (New York Daily News news photos)
- Barack Obama's Family Tree - Photo Essays - TIME
- "Though Obama Had to Leave to Find Himself, It Is Hawaii That Made His Rise Possible," by David Maraniss
- Barack Obama's Branch-y Family Tree by Jake Tapper
- "Obama Family Tree" series, by Scott Fornek
- "Notes on the Ancestry of Senator Barack Hussein Obama, Jr.," by Gary Boyd Roberts
- "Obama, Clinton and McCain have some famous relations," by The Associated Press
- "Obama's Patriotic Family Tree," by Bill Brehm
- "Tracking Michelle Obama's Slave Roots," by Joe Johns and Justine Redman
- "Obama's related to WHO? You betcha!" by Jocelyn Noveck
- Malia Obama collected news and commentary at The New York Times
- Sasha Obama collected news and commentary at The New York Times
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Barack Obama — Barack and Obama redirect here. For other uses, see Barak (disambiguation) and Obama (disambiguation). For the Kenyan economist, President Obama s father, see Barack Obama, Sr … Wikipedia
Barack Obama, Sr. — Barack Hussein Obama, Sr. Born Barack Hussein Obama 18 June 1936 Kanyadhiang Village, Rachuonyo District, Kenya Colony[1 … Wikipedia
Barack Obama — « Obama » redirige ici. Pour les autres significations, voir Obama (homonymie). Barack Obama … Wikipédia en Français
Barack Obama assassination threats — Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States, who has been the target of several assassination threats and alleged plots. Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States, has been the target of several assassination threats and… … Wikipedia
Barack Obama — (2009) Barack Hussein Obama II [ … Deutsch Wikipedia
Barack Obama presidential campaign, 2008 — Obama for America 2008 Obama–Biden campaign logo Campaign U.S. presidential election, 2008 Candidate Barack Obama U.S. Sen … Wikipedia
Barack Obama religion conspiracy theories — Barack Obama swearing the oath of office of the President of the United States using the Bible of Abraham Lincoln. Barack Obama religion conspiracy theories allegations that he secretly follows a non Christian religion, or that he is the… … Wikipedia
Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories — A billboard questioning the validity of Barack Obama s birth certificate and by extension his eligibility to serve as President of the U. S. The billboard is part of an … Wikipedia
Barack Obama assassination scare in Tennessee — This article is about the Tennessee assassination plot. For other assassination threats against Barack Obama, see Barack Obama assassination threats … Wikipedia
Barack Obama Tucson memorial speech — President Obama speaks in honor of the victims of the 2011 Tucson shooting. President of the United States Barack Obama delivered a speech at the Together We Thrive: Tucson and America memorial on January 12, 2011, held in the McKale Center on… … Wikipedia