Elphinstone, East Lothian


Elphinstone, East Lothian

Elphinstone is a village in East Lothian, Scotland, UK.It lies two miles south west of Tranent on the B6414, and one mile south-east of Ormiston.

Half a mile west of the village, Elphinstone Tower, built in the 13th to 15th century, is a former five-storey tower, now a ruin, with only the lower level remaining. The Elphinstone clan held the lands of Elphinstone in Lothian of which Sir Alexander Seton of that Ilk was Lord:Alexander de Elphinstone, died ca. 1290; John Elphinstone, knight;Alexander Elphinstone of that Ilk;William Elphinstone;William of Elphinstone of that Ilk, knight;Alexander Elphinstone of that Ilk, killed in battle 1436;Henry Elphinstone of Pittendreich.....

Elphinstone Colliery was formerly the main employer; now Inveresk Research International is one of the main employers in the area. Elphinstone Tower Farm produces cereal crops.

The population has been declining, but the village still has basic amenities, including a Primary School.

The Protestant reformer George Wishart was brought to Elphinstone by James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell en route to St Andrews where he was tried and burnt at the stake.

External links

* [http://www.pc.elphinstoneprimary.co.uk Website of Elphinstone Primary School]
* [http://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/documents/contentmanage/ELPHINSTONE%20info-1487.pdf East Lothian Council Report on Elphinstone village]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.