- Naval, Biliran
Naval — Municipality —
Coordinates: Coordinates: Country Philippines Region Eastern Visayas Province Biliran District Lone District Founded Barangays 26 Government - Mayor Susan Velasquez Parilla Area - Total 108.2 km2 (41.8 sq mi) Population (2000) - Total 37,974 - Density 351/km2 (909/sq mi) Time zone PST (UTC+8) ZIP code Income class 2nd class
Naval is a 2nd class municipality in the province of Biliran, Philippines. It is the capital municipality of Biliran. According to the 2007 census, it has a population of 44,288 people in 9,575 households.
The territory of Naval comprises a total land area of 10,710 hectares, which is 19.27 percent or 1/5 of the total land area of Biliran.
The town of Naval was once named Bagasumbol, which was perceived by natives as being too warlike a description. The aboriginal name was later modified in 1859 to a more peaceful name—the presently known Naval.
On May 26, 1860, Naval was separated from Biliran, but it became an independent parish only in September later that year. The following year, on July 31, 1861, Msgr. Romualdo Ximeno, Bishop of Cebu, officially declared Naval an independent parish. In August 1861, Father Santos de Santa Juana took up formal residence as the first parish priest of Naval and served the town for twenty-one years until 1882.
On September 26, 1869, Naval was officially established and recognized as an independent pueblo (town).
In 1957, the barrio of Higatangan was abolished, and its sitios of Libertad and Mabini were converted into barrios.
The mayors of Naval during the period were Brigido Caneja, Sr., who served from 1956 to 1971; Arturo Velasquez from 1972 to 1979; Niceto Limpiado from 1980 to 1986; Fortunato Casas from 1986 to 1987; Gorgonio Contredas and Francisca Bangcuyo in 1987; and Simeon Pitao from 1988 to 1995. Gerardo J. Espina, Jr. from 1996 to 2004 and Gerardo S. Espina, Sr. from 2004 to 2006. Presently, the town is headed by Mayor Susan Velasquez Parilla, the wife of the late Governor Danilo Parilla.
Naval is politically subdivided into 26 barangays.
- Padre Inocentes Garcia (Pob.)
- San Pablo
- Santo Niño
- Santissimo Rosario (Smo. Rosario) (Pob.)
- Villa Caneja
- Villa Consuelo
- Padre Sergio Eamiguel
Banking and Finance
- Land Bank of the Philippines, Naval Branch (LBP)
- Philippine National Bank, Naval Branch (PNB)
- MetroBank and Trust Company, Naval Branch (MetroBank)
- Rural Bank of Naval
- Fatima Credit Cooperative
- Biliran Credit Cooperative
Naval has private and public elementary education, private and public secondary education, and one public tertiary institution (Naval State University or NSU).
The following are the public secondary schools:
- Naval State University-Laboratory High School (NSU-LHS)
- Naval School of Fisheries (NSF)
- Naval National High School (NNHS)
- Lucsoon National High School (LNHS)
- Higatangan National High School (HNHS)
The following are the private secondary schools:
- Cathedral School of La Naval (CSN)
- Light Bringer Center (Limpiado School Foundation)
The following are the public elementary schools:
- Naval Central School (Naval North District)
- Naval SpEd (Special Education) Center
- Caraycaray Central School (Naval South District)
- Agpangi Elementary School
- Anislagan Elementary School
- Atipolo Elementary School
- Borac Elementary School
- Cabungaan Elementary School
- Calumpang Elementary School
- Capinahan Elementary School
- Catmon Elementary School
- Haguikhikan Elementary School
- Higatangan Elementary School
- Imelda Elementary School
- Larazabal Elementary School
- Libtong Elementary School
- Lico Elementary School
- Lucsoon Elementary School
- P.S. Eamiguel Elementary School
- San Pablo Elementary School
- Sabang Elementary School
- Talustusan Elementary School
- Villa Caneja Elementary School
- Villa Consuelo Elementary School
The following are the private elementary schools:
- Cathedral School of La Naval
- Lightbringer Learning Center (Limpiado Memorial Foundation, Inc.)
Naval has the following health facilities:
- Naval Municipal Health Center
- Biliran Provincial Hospital
- Naval Doctor's Clinic
- FCE Polyclinic and Diagnostic
- Mother and Child Clinic
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Naval (Biliran) — Municipality of Naval Lage von Naval in der Provinz Biliran Basisdaten Bezirk: Eastern Vi … Deutsch Wikipedia
Naval (Bilirán) — Mapa de Bilirán mostrando la ubicación de Naval. Naval es un municipio de cuarta clase en la provincia de Bilirán, Filipinas. Es la capital municipal de Bilirán. Conforme al censo de 2000, tiene una población de 37.974 habitantes distribuidos en… … Wikipedia Español
Naval State University — NSU Logo Motto Nobility,Solidarity Unity Established October 30, 1945 Type State university President … Wikipedia
Biliran (volcano) — Biliran Elevation 1,301 m (4,268 ft) Location Location … Wikipedia
Naval — bezeichnet: Naval (Biliran), eine Stadtgemeinde in der Provinz Biliran, Philippinen Naval (Huesca), eine Gemeinde in der Provinz Huesca, Spanien Naval ist der Name von: Franz Naval (1865 1939), ein österreichischer Opernsänger Naval war der Name… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Naval (disambiguation) — Naval can refer to: Relating to a navy (a military branch that primarily uses ships and/or boats) Naval, Biliran, a municipality in the Philippines Naval, Huesca, a municipality in Spain Naval de Talcahuano, a defunct Chilean football team Deepti … Wikipedia
Biliran Island — Infobox Islands name = Biliran Island image caption = NASA Landsat image of Biliran. native name = native name link = locator Location map|Philippines|lat=11.523|long=124.535|width=175 map custom = yes location = South East Asia coordinates=… … Wikipedia
Naval Institute of Technology — (NIT) is a state college in the municipality of Naval in Biliran, Philippines. It is operating an extension campus in the town of Biliran, Biliran. NIT is pursuing its university status, to be converted, if the bill passed, into Naval State… … Wikipedia
Biliran — This article is about the province. For the municipality, see Biliran, Biliran. For the Island see Biliran Island. Infobox Philippine province name = Biliran sealfile = Ph seal biliran.png region = Eastern Visayas (Region VIII) capital = Naval… … Wikipedia
Biliran (île) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Biliran (homonymie). Biliran Image satellite de Biliran … Wikipédia en Français