Hamilton and Strathaven Railway


Hamilton and Strathaven Railway

The Hamilton and Strathaven Railway was an historic railway in Scotland. It ran from a junction with the Hamilton Branch of the Caledonian Railway to a terminus at Strathaven. The railway was worked from the start by the Caledonian Railway, who absorbed the railway company in 1864.Awdry (1990), P 79.]

History

The railway was planned by William Smith Dixon, an Ironmaster.Thomas (1981), Chapter 6.]

Its construction was authorised on 10 August 1857; and it was opened on 9 August 1860, from Hamilton to Quarter, for the carriage of goods.Thomas (1971), Chronology.] It opened fully on 2 February 1863, between Hamilton and Strathaven, for goods and passengers.

Connections to other lines

* Hamilton Branch of the Caledonian Railway at Haughhead Junction.
* East Kilbride Line of the Caledonian Railway at Hunthill Junction.
* Mid Lanark Lines of the Caledonian Railway at Strathaven Central
* Darvel and Strathaven Railway at Strathaven Central

External links

* [http://www.railscot.co.uk/Hamilton_and_Strathaven_Railway/frame.htm RAILSCOT on Hamilton and Strathaven Railway]

References

Notes

ources

*
*
*
*
*


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries: