- Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies
Founded in 1991, the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies is the senior research institute at the University of British Columbia. It supports basic research through collaborative, interdisciplinary initiatives. The Institute brings together scholars from UBC with distinguished researchers and experts from around the world to investigate fundamental research drawing upon and contributing to a wide range of diverse disciplines in the Sciences, Social Sciences, and the Humanities. The Institute has a varied program of colloquia, workshops, scholars in residence, and a distinguished professorship, and major special events.
The Institute's aims, as detailed on its website, are "to support fundamental, interdisciplinary research and creative activities expected to result in significant advances to knowledge." [citation|chapter= Mission |url= http://www.pwias.ubc.ca/information/ |title= Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies |accessdate= 2008-05-26 ]
The Institute's programs began in 1994, thanks to a CAD$15 million donation of Wall Financial Corporation shares three years earlier from the Vancouver property developer,
Peter Wall; at the time, this was the largest private donation the University had ever received. [citation|title= UBC donation |newspaper= Financial Post |place= Toronto |date= April 12, 1991|year= 1991 |page= 4 |url= http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=267746651&sid=3&Fmt=3&clientId=6993&RQT=309&VName=PQD |accessdate= 2008-05-26 ] As of March 2007, the market value of the shares stood at CAD$48 million. [citation|title= The UBC Endowment: A Foundation for Excellence |url= http://www.treasury.ubc.ca/assets/pdf/endowment07s.pdf |year= 2007 |publisher= University of British Columbia |page=7 |accessdate= 2008-05-27 ] Also in 1994, the University dedicated a CAD$10 million Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies Endowment Fund to the Institute.
The intent was to create an institute of advanced study modelled largely on the
Institute for Advanced Studyat Princeton. Then UBC President, David Strangway, was quoted as saying "This remarkable contribution will allow us to create an institute that will help UBC and the province of British Columbia move to a new level of international significance". [citation|last= McIntrye |first= Greg |title= UBC hits jackpot |newspaper= The Province |date= April 12, 1991|year= 1991 |page= 7 |url= http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=237799011&sid=3&Fmt=3&clientId=6993&RQT=309&VName=PQD |accessdate= 2008-05-26 ]
The Institute began "active operations" in 1994 with the appointment of UBC Nobel Laureate in Chemistry Michael Smith (1932–2000) as Peter Wall Distinguished Professor and acquired its own facilities, at the University Centre, in 1999. [citation|chapter= History |url= http://www.pwias.ubc.ca/information/history.php |title= Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies |accessdate= 2008-05-26 ] The Institute's first full-time director was
Kenneth MacCrimmonfrom 1996 to 2002; its current director is Dianne Newell, a professor in History and expert in technology studies, industrial archaeology, industrial fisheries, and post-war science fiction. [citation|chapter= Director |title= Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies |url= http://www.pwias.ubc.ca/information/director.php |accessdate= 2008-05-27 ]
The Institute's programs include:
* Exploratory Workshops, which bring together researchers from UBC and elsewhere, to "assess basic research and research possibilities with major potential impact in a new way". [citation|chapter= Exploratory Workshop Grant |url= http://www.pwias.ubc.ca/programs/workshop.php |title= Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies |accessdate= 2008-05-27 ]
* Major Thematic Grants, of up to CAD$500,000, "to support interdisciplinary, collaborative teams" over a period of several years. [citation|chapter= Major Thematic Grant |url= http://www.pwias.ubc.ca/programs/mtg.php |title= Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies |accessdate= 2008-05-27 ] Thematic grants have been on topics such as crisis points; narratives of disease, disability, and trauma; and pathogenomics, on mechanisms of infectious diseases. [citation|title= Grants |newspaper= The Vancouver Sun |date=
November 8, 1999|year= 1999 |page= C.14 |url= http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=223461241&sid=1&Fmt=3&clientId=6993&RQT=309&VName=PQD |accessdate= 2008-05-26 ]
* Theme Development Workshops.
* The Peter Wall Distinguished Professorship. The University describes this as "one of UBC's highest honours". [citation|title= The UBC Endowment: A Foundation for Excellence |url= http://www.treasury.ubc.ca/assets/pdf/endowment07s.pdf |year= 2007 |publisher= University of British Columbia |page= 8 |accessdate= 2008-05-27 ] The current Peter Wall Distinguished Professor is
Brett Finlay, a microbiologist who is also Officer of the Order of Canada. [citation|chapter= Governor General Announces New Appointments to the Order of Canada |title= Governor General of Canada |date= July 24, 2006] |year= 2006 |url= http://gg.ca/media/doc.asp?lang=e&DocID=4828 |accessdate= 2008-05-27 ] "This is huge," Finlay was quoted as saying upon receiving the professorship. "The Peter Wall Institute is a really special place at the University of British Columbia." [citation|last= King |first= Anna |url= http://www.themanitoban.com/2002-2003/1204/news_5.shtml |date= December 4, 2002|journal= The Manitoban |title= This Prof Could Save Your Life: E. coli Research Results in Prestigious Award |accessdate= 2008-05-26 ] Finlay's recent work is on vaccines to combat E. coli [citation|last= Fayerman |first= Pamela |title= UBC Produces E. coli Vaccine |newspaper= The Vancouver Sun |url= http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=473474341&sid=1&Fmt=3&clientId=6993&RQT=309&VName=PQD |date= November 26, 2003|page= B.3 |accessdate= 2008-05-26 ] and SARS.
* The Distinguished Scholars in Residence program, developed to bring to the Institute for one year senior UBC faculty members with distinguished research records and commitment to interdisciplinarity.
* The Early Career Scholars program, which program brings together outstanding tenure-track faculty from diverse disciplines at the early stages of their careers at UBC.
* The Distinguished Visiting Professor program. The Institute's visiting professors to date have been the intellectual historian
Arif Dirlik(in 2005) and the Nobel prize-winning chemist Roald Hoffman(in 2008). [citation|chapter= Distinguished Visiting Professor |title= Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies |url= http://www.pwias.ubc.ca/awards/dvp.php |accessdate= 2008-05-27 ]
* The Wall Summer Institute for Research, which has featured public talks by
James Orbinski, Jomo Kwame Sundaram[citation |chapter= Canada's not immune to global food crisis |title= The Georgia Straight, June 19, 2008
url=http://www.straight.com/article-150312/canadas-not-immune-global-food-crisis] , and
* [http://www.pwias.ubc.ca/ Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Peter Wall — is a property developer in Vancouver, Canada who, in the 1990s and 2000s, played a significant and controversial part in the city s real estate boom. He has been described as a leading contributor to Vancouver s City of Glass reputation during a… … Wikipedia
Robert Peter Gale — MD, PhD, DSc (hon), FACP Biography Robert Peter Gale was born in New York in 1945. Leukemia and other bone marrow disorders (such as aplastic anemia) are the central theme of Dr. Gale’s basic scientific and clinical research for over 35 years.… … Wikipedia
Courtauld Institute of Art — The Courtauld Institute of Art Established 1932 Type Public Chancellor HRH The Princess Royal (University of London) … Wikipedia
Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences — (CIMS) Established 1935 Type Private Academic staff 82 … Wikipedia
Polytechnic Institute of New York University — Coordinates: 40°41′40″N 73°59′12″W / 40.694412°N 73.986531°W / 40.694412; 73.986531 … Wikipedia
Interlochen Center for the Arts — is a privately owned, 1,200 acre (5 km²) arts education institution in Interlochen, Michigan, roughly 15 miles (24 km) southwest of Traverse City. Interlochen draws young people from around the world to participate in intensive… … Wikipedia
Natural scientific research in Canada — This article outlines the history of natural scientific research in Canada, including mathematics, physics, astronomy, space science, geology, oceanography, chemistry, biology, medical research and psychology. The social sciences are not treated… … Wikipedia
Scientific research in Canada — This article outlines the history of natural scientific research in Canada including, mathematics, physics, astronomy, space science, geology, oceanography, chemistry, biology, medical research and psychology. The social sciences are not treated… … Wikipedia
University of British Columbia — This article is about the university s Vancouver campus. For other uses, see University of British Columbia (disambiguation). UBC redirects here. For other uses, see UBC (disambiguation). University of British Columbia Coat of Arms of the… … Wikipedia
Canadian university scientific research organizations — Expenditures by Canadian universities on scientific research and development accounted for about 40% of all spending on scientific research and development in Canada in 2006.Research in the natural and social sciences in Canada, with a few… … Wikipedia