- Frank Delaney
name = Frank Delaney
caption = Frank Delaney
birthdate = Birth date and age|1942|10|24
occupation = novelist, journalist, broadcaster
nationality = Irish
notableworks = Ireland Simple Courage: A True Story of Peril on the Sea James Joyce's Odyssey
The Celts(BBC) Goodbye, Mr. Chips(screenplay)
spouse = Diane Meier
website = www.FrankDelaney.com
Frank Delaney (born October 24, 1942) is a novelist, journalist and broadcaster. [ [http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/reviews/2007-11-26-tipperary_N.htm Hero sets forth for the love of the Irish - USATODAY.com ] ] He's the author of New York Times best-seller "Ireland", [http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/18/opinion/18delaney.html?scp=5&sq=frank%20delaney&st=cse The New York Times > Opinion > Op-Ed Contributor: Holy Rollers and Papal Perfectas ] ] the non-fiction book "Simple Courage: A True Story of Peril on the Sea", and many other works of fiction, non-fiction and collections. [ [http://books.guardian.co.uk/top10s/top10/0,,1299168,00.html Frank Delaney's top 10 Irish novels | Books | guardian.co.uk ] ] He was born in
Tipperary, Ireland [http://www.randomhouse.com/author/results.pperl?authorid=6800 Frank Delaney - Authors - Random House ] ] and his first job was as a bank clerk.
In 1970, Delaney began working as a newsreader for the Irish state radio and television network
RTE. [http://www.harpercollins.ca/global_scripts/product_catalog/author_xml.asp?authorid=uk_1447 The Savvy Reader ] ] In the early 1970's he became a news reporter for the BBCin Dublin, and covered an intense period of violence known as The Troubles. After 5 years of reporting on the violence, he moved to London to work in Arts broadcasting. In 1978, he created the award-winning weekly show "Bookshelf" for BBC Radio Four, which covered books, writers and the business of publishing. Over the next five and a half years, he interviewed over 1400 authors including Anthony Burgess, John Updike, Margaret Atwood, Christopher Isherwood and Stephen King. On television, Delaney wrote and presented for Omnibus, the BBC weekly arts series. He served as the Literature Director of the Edinburgh Festivalin 1980, and he hosted his own talk show "Frank Delaney" in the early 1980's, featuring an array of cultural and literary personalities. Afterward, he created and presented "Word of Mouth", the BBC's award winning show about language, as well as a variety of radio and television documentaries including specials on James Joyce, Robert Graves, Hemingway in Paris, and the Shakespeare Industry. He presented "The Book Show" on the Sky News satellite channel for many years.
In 1981, Frank Delaney's first book, "James Joyce's Odyssey", was published to critical acclaim and became a best-seller in the UK and Ireland. In 1986, he wrote and presented the six-part documentary series "
The Celts" for the BBC and its best-selling companion book. [ [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0271900/ "The Celts" (1987) ] ] Delaney has subsequently written five books of non-fiction (including "Simple Courage"), ten novels (including the bestselling "Ireland" and "Tipperary"), one novella, and a number of short stories. He has also edited many compilations of essays and poetry.
Delaney wrote the screenplay for the newest adaptation of "
Goodbye, Mr. Chips," which starred Martin Clunesand was shown on ITV in Britain, and Masterpiece Theaterin the United States in 2004. [ [http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/mrchips/ei_producers.html Masterpiece Theatre | Goodbye, Mr. Chips | Essays + Interviews | An interview with the producers ] ] He has been published in many of the leading newspapers in the United States, the UK and Ireland, including on the Op-ed pages of The New York Times. He's a frequent public speaker, and has been a contributor and guest on a variety of National Public Radioprograms.
Delaney lives in Litchfield County, Connecticut, with his wife, Diane Meier. [ [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A07E0D81331F936A2575AC0A9649C8B63&sec=&spon= WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS; Diane Meier, Frank Delaney - New York Times ] ]
* "Tipperary, A Novel" (2007, Random House)
* "Ireland, A Novel" (2005, HarperCollins & Time Warner)
* "At Ruby’s" (2001, HarperCollins)
* "Jim Hawkins and the Curse of Treasure Island" (2001, Orion)
* "Pearl" (1999, HarperCollins)
* "The Amethysts"
* "Desire and Pursuit" (1998, HarperCollins)
* "A Stranger in their Midst" (1995, HarperCollins)
* "Telling the Pictures" (1994, HarperCollins)
* "The Sins of the Mothers" (1992, HarperCollins)
* "My Dark Rosaleen" (1989, CenturyHutchinson)
* "Simple Courage: A True Story of Peril on the Sea" (2006, Random House)
* "A Walk to the Western Isles: After Boswell and Johnson" (1993, HarperCollins)
* "Legends of the Celts" (1989, Hodder & Stoughton)
* "A Walk in the Dark Ages" (1988, HarperCollins)
The Celts" (1986, Hodder & Stoughton)
* "Betjeman Country" (1983, Hodder & Stoughton)
* "James Joyce’s Odyssey" (1981, Hodder & Stoughton)
* "The Folio Society/Hutchinson Book of Essays" (1990, Folio Society & CenturyHutchinson)
* "The Folio Book of Irish Short Stories" (1999, Folio Society)
* "The Poems of Christy Brown"
* "The Landleaguers by Anthony Trollope" (Folio Society)
* "Short Stories from the Strand" (Folio Society)
* "The Novels of James Kennaway"
* "The Go-Between by L.P. Hartley" (Folio Society)
* "Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson" (Folio Society)
* "Caitriona by Robert Louis Stevenson" (1988, Folio Society)
* "Silver Apples, Golden Apples; Best Loved Irish Verse" (1987, Blackstaff Press)
* "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" (2003, from the James Hilton book, directed by Stuart Orme. Aired on ITV in London and Masterpiece Theater)
* "Across the River and Into the Trees" (2001, from the Hemingway novella, for Working Title Television, London, not produced)
* "Telling the Pictures" (1995, from Delaney's own novel, under option with Spikings Entertainment, Los Angeles)
* "My Dark Rosaleen" (1993, From Delaney's own novella, endowed by the European Script Fund)
* [http://loadedquestions.blogspot.com/2008/01/loaded-questions-tipperary-author-frank.html Interview with Frank Delaney] in which he discusses his work for BBC, Irish history and his new novel Tipperary set in the city Ireland where he was born.
NAME= Delaney, Frank
DATE OF BIRTH=1942-10-24
PLACE OF BIRTH=
DATE OF DEATH=
PLACE OF DEATH=
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Frank Delaney — Franck Delaney Franck Delaney Activités Romancier Naissance 24 octobre … Wikipédia en Français
Delaney (surname) — Delaney is an Irish surname derived from the Gaelic Ó Dubhsláine, Dubh meaning black and Slaine for the River Slaine (Slaney). DeLaney is also of Norman origin. Delaney, British Singer/Songwriter Arthur K. Delaney (1841 1905), first mayor of… … Wikipedia
Delaney — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Delaney peut désigner : Patronyme Delaney est un nom de famille notamment porté par : Beauford Delaney (1901 1979), peintre afro… … Wikipédia en Français
Frank Randle — (Born Arthur Hughes, also known as Arthur McEvoy or Arthur Twist) (January 30, 1901 July 7, 1957) was an English comedian. A contemporary of fellow Lancastrians George Formby and Gracie Fields, he was regarded as more subversive, perhaps the… … Wikipedia
Frank, Chasseur De Fauves — Titre original Bring Em Back Alive Autres titres francophones L Aventurier de la jungle Genre Série d aventures Créateur(s) Frank Cardea George Schenk Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
Frank, chasseur de fauves — Titre original Bring Em Back Alive Autres titres francophones L Aventurier de la jungle Genre Série d aventures Créateur(s) Frank Cardea George Schenk Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
Frank Klaus — Fiche d’identité Nom complet Frank Klaus Nationalité … Wikipédia en Français
Frank O'Connor — For other uses, see Frank O Connor (disambiguation). Frank O Connor Born Michael Francis O Connor O Donovan 17 September 1903(1903 09 17) Cork City, Ireland Died 10 March 1966(1966 03 10) (aged 62) Dublin, Ireland … Wikipedia
Jerry Delaney — Sport(s) College football Coaching career (HC unless noted) 1901 1903 1904 Colgate St. Bonaventure Head coaching record … Wikipedia
To Bonnie from Delaney — Álbum de Delaney Bonnie Publicación Septiembre de 1970 Grabación 1970 Género(s) Country rock Duración 42:18 … Wikipedia Español