- Fort Rouillé
Fort Rouillé was a French
trading postlocated in Toronto, Ontario, which was established around 1750 but abandoned in 1759. The fort was also called Fort Toronto. The fort site is now part of the public lands of Exhibition Place. It is also the name of a street, located approx. 1 km north of the fort site, running south from Springhurst Avenue to the railroad tracks.
It was one of two French fortifications in Toronto.
Magasin Royalewas built near Old Millsby Phillipe Dourville, sieur de la Saussaye in 1720. The wooden magazine was similar to the one built in Lewiston, New York.
Its construction was ordered by the Marquis de la Jonquière, then governor of
New France, in order to further establish a French presence in the area, and to intercept the trade of Indians traveling towards an English fur-trading post in present-day Oswego. It was a small palisaded fort with a bastion at each of its four corners, and containing five main buildings: a corps de garde, storeroom, barracks, blacksmithy, and a building for the officers. A drawing [http://www.canadianheritage.org/reproductions/21907.htm] purported to date from 1749 shows the fort adjacent to Lake Ontario, whereas today it is situated on top of a small hill a hundred meters or so from the lake's current shoreline.
The fort was abandoned and burned by the French garrison in July 1759, who were retreating from invading English forces. Vestiges of the fort remained for many years afterwards, but the site was graded over and sodded in preparation for the establishment of the nearby Scadding Cabin in 1879.
The fort was named for
Antonie-Louis Rouille, comte de Jouy and French Minister of Marine and Colonies.
A wall surrounded the fort with an entrance to the south facing
Lake Ontarioand a small road (chemin).
The 180 ft x 180 ft fort consisted of five buildings:
* Soldiers' Quarters
* Senior Officers' Quarters
* Magazine House
Fort Rouillé Monument
Today a large
obeliskmarks the spot where the original French-built Fort Rouillé was erected.
The grounds were excavated in 1979 and 1980 by the
Toronto Historical Board, and again in 1982 by the Youth Committee of the Toronto SesquicentennialBoard. The outline of the original fort has been marked out in concrete around the obelisk. Two commemorative plaques – one in English, and one in French – are attached to the base of the obelisk, placed there by the Ontario Heritage Foundation. To the north a third plaque commemorates the excavation done on the site, and to the west a fourth plaque commemorates a visit to the site by Bertrand Delanoë, mayor of Paris, on September 6, 2003.
A concrete outline of the original fort is marked on the ground and is clearly visible here [http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=fort+rouille&sll=43.630589,-79.42339&sspn=0.001751,0.003648&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=43.630453,-79.423497&spn=0.001751,0.005407&t=k&om=1&iwloc=addr|Google Maps] .
The obelisk is flanked by a cannon and a mortar, dating from the 1850s. Perhaps ironically, they are all British. A second cannon, present on the west side of the obelisk as recently as 2005, has since been removed.
Coureur des bois
Fort York- a much larger fort built by the British.
* [http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/exhibits/franco_ontarian/big/big_59_fort_toronto.htm Fort Toronto]
* [http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/crccf/passeport/I/IB1a/IB1a02-3-3.html La Presence Francaise en Ontario]
* [http://www.ontarioplaques.com/Plaques_Toronto/Plaque_Toronto52.html Ontario Plaques - Fort Rouillé]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Fort Rouillé — Présentation Date de construction XVIIIe siècle Destination initiale Fort militaire Propriétaire État Protection … Wikipédia en Français
Fort Rouille — Fort Rouillé Fort Rouillé ou Fort Toronto était un comptoir français situé à Toronto, en Ontario, qui fut érigé vers 1750 en l honneur d Antoine Louis Rouillé, ministre de la Marine et des Colonies. Le fort fut restauré en 1740 et servit jusqu en … Wikipédia en Français
Fort Toronto — Fort Rouillé Fort Rouillé ou Fort Toronto était un comptoir français situé à Toronto, en Ontario, qui fut érigé vers 1750 en l honneur d Antoine Louis Rouillé, ministre de la Marine et des Colonies. Le fort fut restauré en 1740 et servit jusqu en … Wikipédia en Français
Fort Michilimackinac — U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark … Wikipedia
Fort de Chartres — U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark … Wikipedia
Fort de l'Île Sainte-Hélène — Established 1955 Location Montreal, Quebec, Canada Type historical f … Wikipedia
Fort Douville — fut construit en 1720 à Pointe à Bébé, qui fait maintenant partie de Toronto. Il était petit et était composé d une tour de bois à deux étages, protégé par une barrière pour loger trois soldats. Il était aussi connu comme le magasin… … Wikipédia en Français
Fort York — This article is about the historic fort. For the current Canadian Forces facility, see Fort York Armoury. For the defunct Ontario Electoral District, see Fort York (electoral district). Fort York Established 1793 Location … Wikipedia
Rouillé (homonymie) — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Voir aussi Rouille (sans accent) Patronyme Pierre Rouillé de Marbeuf (1657 1712) Antoine Louis Rouillé (1689 1761) Toponyme Rouillé (Vienne) commune… … Wikipédia en Français
Fort York — 43°38′20.50″N 79°24′12″O / 43.6390278, 79.40333 Fort York est un fort de construction Anglaise construit à … Wikipédia en Français