- Century of Progress Architectural District
Beverly Shores--Century of Progress Architectural DistrictFlorida Tropical House, back elevation taken from beach, 1994.
Location: 208, 210, 212, 214, and 215 Lake Front Dr., Beverly Shores, Indiana Coordinates: Coordinates: Built: 1933 Architect: Scholer,Walter; Et al. Governing body: National Park Service NRHP Reference#:
Added to NRHP: June 30, 1986
The Century of Progress Architectural District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The district is in eastern unit of Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. The homes are also part of the Beverly Shores, Indiana, community. In total, the district consists of five buildings, all from the Homes of Tomorrow Exhibition during the 1933 Century of Progress World's Fair which took place in Chicago.
Intended to display the future of housing, the Century of Progress Homes reflect a variety of designs, experimental materials and new technologies.
The buildings listed in the architectural district include:
Framed in steel and clad with an artificial stone called Rostone (Limestone, shale and alkali). Billed as never needing repairs, it only lasted until the 1950’s.
Designed for the southern Florida tropics, the house combines the indoors and outdoors into the living space. Large open terraces and a flamingo pink paint scheme stand out. 
Built to be a mountain home. The setting at the World’s Fair included a landscape with cypress fences, arbors and bridges. 
Designed as the house of the future, this house included its own airplane hangar. Glass walls offered views from every angle and so taxed the experimental air conditioning system that the cooling system failed. 
The only house of the five to stand the test of time in meeting the criteria of the World’s Fair Committee: ‘affordable’ and ‘mass producible’. An all-steel home using corrugated steel panels for walls, without a frame. 
Restoration efforts on the Florida Tropical House were started in 1997, with the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and Indiana Landmarks searching for potential leasees to restore the building. Under the agreement, the private owner would receive a 30-year sublease, providing that they would cover all of the restoration costs, and open the home to the public at least once a year. Restoration on the homes is estimated at approx. $450,000 to $750,000.
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
- Century of Progress Architectural District
- Wieboldt-Rostone House
- Florida Tropical House
- Cypress Log Cabin
- House of Tomorrow
- Armco-Ferro House
- 1933 Homes of Tomorrow Exhibition
- List of Registered Historic Places in Indiana
- ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13. http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov/natreg/docs/All_Data.html.
- ^ "Wieboldt-Rostone House". Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. National Park Service. http://www.nps.gov/archive/indu/History/Wieboldt-Rostone%20House.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- ^ a b c d e Cultural Sites of Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore; National Park Service, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore; Porter, Indiana
- ^ "Florida Tropical House". Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. National Park Service. http://www.nps.gov/archive/indu/History/Florida%20Tropical%20House.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- ^ a b Augustyn, Heather (August 6, 2007). "World's Fair homes in Beverly Shores being restored to former glory". The Times. http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2007/08/06/news/top_news/doc67b0941abe04ac0e8625732f00086d30.txt. Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- ^ Newman, Alexandra (2000). "67 years later World's Fair Homes still a draw". Chesterton Tribune. http://chestertontribune.com/Local%20History/world%20fair%20homes.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-25.
-  Encyclopedia of Chicago history
-  Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Century of Progress Historic District
U.S. National Register of Historic Places Topics Lists by statesAlabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Kentucky • Louisiana • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Michigan • Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri • Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • North Carolina • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma • Oregon • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • South Carolina • South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Utah • Vermont • Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • Wyoming Lists by territories Lists by associated states Other Category:National Register of Historic Places • Portal:National Register of Historic Places
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Century of Progress — A 1933 Century of Progress world s fair poster A Century of Progress International Exposition was the name of a World s Fair held in Chicago from 1933 to 1934 to celebrate the city s centennial. The theme of the fair was technological innovation … Wikipedia
Century 21 Exposition — logo … Wikipedia
Old Jeffersonville Historic District — U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. Historic district … Wikipedia
Downtown Waterbury Historic District — U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. Historic district … Wikipedia
New Bedford Historic District — This article is about the city s waterfront historic district. For the downtown historic district, see Central New Bedford Historic District. New Bedford Historic District … Wikipedia
North Hill Historic District (New Castle, Pennsylvania) — North Hill Historic District U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. Historic district … Wikipedia
Tikamgarh District — This article is about the district. For its eponymous headquarters, see Tikamgarh. Tikamgarh district टीकमगढ़ जिला … Wikipedia
The Century (building) — Infobox nrhp name = The Century nrhp type=cp caption = location = Manhattan, New York City, New York USA lat degrees = 40 lat minutes = 46 lat seconds = 12 lat direction = N long degrees = 73 long minutes = 58 long seconds = 49 long direction = W … Wikipedia
Orange Center Historic District (Orange, Massachusetts) — Orange Center Historic District U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. Historic district … Wikipedia
Orange Center Historic District (Massachusetts) — Infobox nrhp | name =Orange Center Historic District Orange, Massachusetts nrhp type = hd |thumb caption = location= Roughly North and South Main Streets from Prospect Street to River Street Orange, Massachusetts area = built = added = May 27,… … Wikipedia