Wayne State University Buildings


Wayne State University Buildings

Infobox_nrhp | name =Wayne State University Buildings
nrhp_type = hd



caption = Old Main on WSU campus
location= Detroit, Michigan
lat_degrees = 42
lat_minutes = 21
lat_seconds = 16
lat_direction = N
long_degrees = 83
long_minutes = 4
long_seconds = 2
long_direction = W
locmapin = Michigan
area =
built =1895
architect= Malcomson & Higginbotham; Field,Hinchman & Smith
architecture= Classical Revival, Queen Anne
added = June 23, 1978
governing_body = State
refnum=78001524 cite web|url=http://www.nr.nps.gov/|title=National Register Information System|date=2008-04-15|work=National Register of Historic Places|publisher=National Park Service]

The Wayne State University Buildings historic district consists of three buildings on 4735-4841 Cass Ave in Detroit, Michigan: the Mackenzie House (4735 Cass), the Hilberry Theater (4743 Cass), and Old Main (4841 Cass), all on the campus of Wayne State University. [http://www.campusmap.wayne.edu/ Campus map] from Wayne State University]

Old Main

Old Main was designed and built in 1895-1896 by Malcomson & Higginbotham. [http://www.reuther.wayne.edu/exhibits/oldmain.html "Partners in Education: Old Main and Wayne"] , Patricia Bartkowski, from the Walter P. Reuther Library] Its original use was to house Detroit's Central High School. The original building plan had 103 rooms arranged in a "T" shape, with an auditorium which seated over 2,000 people. In 1908, a wing was added housing gymnasiums, laboratories, and shops.

The function of the building began to change in 1917, when Detroit Junior College opened its doors in a part of the building. The enrollment in the college grew, crowding the building and the high school still housed there. In 1923, the College of the City of Detroit (CCD) replaced the Detroit Junior College, crowding the building even more. Finally, in 1926, Central High School moved out of the building, leaving CCD as the primary occupant, along with a smaller College High School. In 1928, the latter closed, leaving CCD as the sole tenant. Five years later, Wayne State University was formed.

A large wing on Warren Avenue was added in 1937. The building continued to serve Wayne State, and in 1994 received major renovations and a new addition.

Hilberry Theater

The Hilberry Theater was built in 1916/1917 as the First Church of Christ Scientist, designed by the architectural firm of Field, Hinchman and Smith (predecessor of Smith, Hinchman and Grylls). [http://www.detroit1701.org/Hilberry%20Theater.html Hilberry Theater/First Church of Christ Scientist] from Detroit1701.org] The auditorium was designed to seat 1,500 congregants. The Christian Science congregation used the building until 1961, when they sold it to Wayne State University. WSU remodeled the interior to create a theater to seat 500 people, serving as a reperatory theater. The building was re-christened in honor of Clarence Hilberry, the fourth president of WSU.

Mackenzie House

The Mackenzie House is a Queen Anne house, designed by Malcolmson & Higginbotham and built in 1895. It was the home of David Mackenzie, principal of Central High School and founder of the College of the City of Detroit. [http://www.michmarkers.com/startup.asp?startpage=S0514.htm Mackenzie House] from Michigan Historical Markers]

In the mid-1970’s, the Mackenzie House was slated for demolition, until a group of Wayne State students protested. Their successful effort created a new organization, Preservation Wayne. The building now serves as the offices of Preservation Wayne and the University Cultural Center Association. [http://www.preservationwayne.org/location.php Preservation Wayne] history]

Notes

References and further reading

*Cite book | author=Hill, Eric J. and John Gallagher | title= AIA Detroit: The American Institute of Architects Guide to Detroit Architecture| year=2002 | publisher= Wayne State University Press | id=ISBN 0-8143-3120-3
*Cite book | author=Meyer, Katherine Mattingly and Martin C.P. McElroy with Introduction by W. Hawkins Ferry, Hon A.I.A.| title=Detroit Architecture A.I.A. Guide Revised Edition | year= 1980| publisher= Wayne State University Press| id = ISBN 0-8143-1651-4

External Links

* [http://wayne.edu/ Wayne State University]
* [http://www.hilberry.com/ Hilberry Theater]
* [http://www.preservationwayne.org/ Preservation Wayne]
* [http://detroitmidtown.com/05/ University Cultural Center Association]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.