- Kozma Prutkov
Kozma Prutkov ( _ru. Козьма Петрович Прутков) is a fictional author invented by
Aleksey Konstantinovich Tolstoyand his cousins, three Zhemchuzhnikov brothers, Alexei, Vladimir and Alexander, during the later part of Nicholas I of Russia's authoritarian reign.
The four distinguished satirical poets used this
pseudonymas a collective pen nameto publish aphorisms, fables, epigrams, satiric, humorous and nonsense verses in the 1850s—1860s, most notably in the literary magazine "Sovremennik" ("The Contemporary").
According to the "Biographical data on Kozma Prutkov," [ru icon [http://az.lib.ru/p/prutkow_k_p/text_0010.shtml Биографические сведения о Козьме Пруткове] , (Biographical data on Kozma Prutkov), first printed in the "Full Collection of Works", 1884 (lib.ru)] Prutkov was born on
April 11, 1801and died on January 13, 1863.
He worked for the government of the
Russian Empirehis entire adult life. In 1820, Prutkov entered military service as a Hussaronly for the uniform. He worked at the Measuring Office (Пробирная Палата) from 1823 until his death, ending up as its director.
* "When casting pebbles into water, look at the ripples being formed thereby. Otherwise this activity will be an empty amusement."
* "Where is the beginning of the end that comes at the end of the beginning?"
* "If you have a fountain, plug it up. Let the fountain too have a rest."
* "If ever asked: What's more useful, the sun or the moon, respond: The moon. For the sun only shines during daytime, when it's light anyway, whereas the Moon shines at night."
* "One cannot embrace unembraceable."
* "Be vigilant!" (In russian "Бди!")
* "Wanna be handsome - enroll in hussars."
* "When seeing a "buffalo" sign on a cage with an elephant - do not believe your eyes."
* "When it concerns art, every tailor has views of his own."
* "Not every high-ranker is fleshy by nature."
* "Never recount jokes to ladies, for these jokes are stupid and nasty."
* "Every expert is like a gumboil: his fullness is one-sided."
* [http://www.geocities.com/uniart/mix/kp.htm Kozma Prutkov's "Fruits of Reflection" (1853-1854)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Kozma Prutkov — Kosma Prutkow (russisch: Козьма Петрович Прутков) ist das Sammelpseudonym vier russischer Schriftsteller: Alexei Konstantinowitsch Tolstoi (Cousin des bekannteren Lew Tolstoi) und die drei Vetter Alexander, Alexei und Wladimir Schemtschuschnikow … Deutsch Wikipedia
Aleksey Konstantinovich Tolstoy — Not to be confused with Aleksey Nikolayevich Tolstoy. Aleksey Konstantinovich Tolstoy Aleksey Konstantinovich Tolstoy by Karl Brullov Born September 5 [O.S. August 24] 1817 Saint Petersburg … Wikipedia
List of Russian people — The Millennium of Russia monument in Veliky Novgorod, featuring the statues and reliefs of the most celebrated people in the first 1000 years of Russian history … Wikipedia
Frère Jacques — Music and lyrics to Frère Jacques For the Eurovision Song Contest song, see Frère Jacques (Anne Marie Besse song). Frère Jacques ( … Wikipedia
List of Russian language poets — Poets who wrote much of their poetry in the Russian language.A* Irakli Abashidze (born 1909) * Gennady Aigi (1934–2006) * Bella Akhmadulina (born 1937) * Anna Akhmatova (1889–1966) * Ivan Akhmetiev (born 1950) * Gennady Alexeyev (1932–1987) *… … Wikipedia
Tolstoy — This article is about the Tolstoy family , for other meanings see Tolstoy (disambiguation)Tolstoy, or Tolstoi ( ru. Толстой) is a prominent family of Russian nobility, descending from one Andrey Kharitonovich Tolstoy (i.e., the Fat ) who served… … Wikipedia
Nonsense verse — is a form of light, often rhythmical verse, usually for children, depicting peculiar characters in amusing and fantastical situations. It is whimsical and humorous in tone and tends to employ fanciful phrases and meaningless made up words.… … Wikipedia
List of Russians — This is a list of people associated with Imperial Russia, the Soviet Union, and Russia of today. For a long time Russia has been a multinational country, and many people of different ethnicity contributed to its culture, to its glory, and to its… … Wikipedia
Russian literature — This article is about literature from Russia. For the song by Maxïmo Park, see Our Earthly Pleasures. Russian literature refers to the literature of Russia or its émigrés, and to the Russian language literature of several independent nations once … Wikipedia
Collaborative writing — The term collaborative writing refers to projects where written works are created by multiple people together ( collaboratively ) rather than individually. Some projects are overseen by an editor or editorial team, but many grow without any of… … Wikipedia