- Transjordan Frontier Force
The Transjordan Frontier Force was formed, on 1 April 1926, as an Imperial Service regiment.
Imperial service soldiers agreed to serve wherever required and not just within the borders of their own colony, protectorate or, in the case of the Transjordan, mandate. This was in contrast to the
Arab Legion, which was seen more as an internal security militia, deriving from the troops of the Arab Revoltand closely associated with the Hashemitecause. The Transjordan Frontier Force [TJFF] was established with a cadre drawn from the Arab Legion and quickly grew to three cavalry squadrons and an infantry unit. Other units, such as a camel squadron and mechanised units, were added subsequently.
The TJFF would be equipped in a conventional manner, with modern weapons, whilst the Arab Legion would, initially, remain a traditional force, looser in structure and without training in alien technology. Accordingly, the Arab Legion transferred its inventory of machine guns, artillery, and radios.
The TJFF replaced the disbanded Palestine Gendarmerie and had the task of protecting
In the post-war era, with the independence of the Transjordan and of Palestine looming, there was no longer a requirement for an Imperial Service unit in the region. By now it had grown to some 3, 000 strong, but on 9 February, 1948 the Trans-Jordan Frontier Force was disbanded and most of its members transferred to the Arab Legion.
* Roubicek, Marcel, Echo of the Bugle, extinct military and constabulary forces in Palestine and Trans-Jordan 1915,1967, Franciscan (Jerusalem 1974)
* P.J. Vatikiotis, (1967). Politics and the Military in Jordan: A Study of the Arab Legion, 1921-1957, New York, Praeger Publishers. ISBN
* The Arab Legion (Men-at-arms) (Paperback) by Peter Young, 48 pages, Osprey Publishing (15 Jun 1972) ISBN-10: 0850450845 and ISBN-13: 978-0850450842
* Farndale, Sir Martin, History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, The Years of Defeat, 1939-41, Brassey’s (1996)
* Dupuy, Trevor N, Elusive Victory, The Arab-Israeli Wars, 1947-1974, Hero (1984)
* Glubb, John Bagot, The Arab Legion, Hodder & Stoughton, London (1948)
* Pal, Dharm, Official History of the Indian Armed in the Second World War, 1939-45 - Campaign in Western Asia, Orient Longmans (1957)
* A. Isseroff, Kfar Etzion Remembered: A history of Gush Etzion and the Massacre of Kfar Etzion, 2005.
* I. Levi, Jerusalem in the War of Independence ("Tisha Kabin" – Nine Measures – in Hebrew) Maarachot – IDF, Israel Ministry of Defence, 1986. ISBN 965-05-0287-4
* Jordan – A Country Study, US Library of Congress
External links & references
* [http://homepages.force9.net/rothwell/trans-jo1.htm About the Transjordan Frontier Force]
* [http://homepages.force9.net/rothwell/trans-jo.htm About The Arab Legion ]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Desert Force — Part of a series on Jordan Geography … Wikipedia
Palestine Police Force — The Palestine Police Force was a British colonial police service established in Palestine on 1 July, 1920,Sinclair, 2006.] when High Commissioner Herbert Samuel s civil administration took over responsibility for security from General Allenby s… … Wikipedia
Royal Naval Force — Royal Navy Force القوة البحرية الاردنية Founded October 1920 Current form March 1956 … Wikipedia
Royal Jordanian Land Force — is part of the Jordanian Armed forces (JAF).Historical BackgroundOn June 10, 1916 Sherif Hussien Bin Ali prince of Mecca, had officially declared the Great Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire for ridding Arab nations from the Turkish rule that … Wikipedia
HISTORICAL SURVEY: THE STATE AND ITS ANTECEDENTS (1880–2006) — Introduction It took the new Jewish nation about 70 years to emerge as the State of Israel. The immediate stimulus that initiated the modern return to Zion was the disappointment, in the last quarter of the 19th century, of the expectation that… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Arab Legion — The Arab Legion (al Jaysh al Arabī) was the regular army of Transjordan and then Jordan in the early part of the 20th Century.CreationIn 1921, the Hashemite Emir Abdullah I of Transjordan raised an armed force of 100 which was quickly expanded to … Wikipedia
Jordanian Armed Forces — القوّات المسلّحة الاردنيّة Emblem of the Jordanian Armed Forces Founded … Wikipedia
Anglo-Iraqi War — Part of the Mediterranean, Middle East and African theatre of the Second World War British troops looking at … Wikipedia
1948 Arab–Israeli War — 1948 Arab Israeli War Part of 1948 Palestine war Ca … Wikipedia
Arabische Legion — Emblem der Arabischen Legion Die Arabische Legion (arabisch الجيش العربي al dschaisch al ʿarabī, DMG al ǧayš al ʿarabī) wurde 1921 als Polizeieinheit militärischen Charakters durch den britischen Lieutenant Colonel Frederick Gerard… … Deutsch Wikipedia