- Forestry Farm Park and Zoo
Forestry Farm Park and Zoo Type Municipal Location Saskatoon Created 1966 Operated by
City of Saskatoon, Saskatoon Zoo Society andSaskatchewan Perennial Society
Open All year
The Forestry Farm Park and Zoo is a forested park and zoo located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada. The park was originally established as the Dominion Forest Nursery Station  and later Sutherland Forest Nursery Station. Between 1913-1966 was responsible for growing and shipping 147 million trees shipped across the northern prairie provinces.  The first shipment of trees were sent to farmers in 1916. The park is listed as a national historic site. The nursery grew caragana, ash, maple, elm, and willow. After the nursery closed in 1966 a portion was re-opened as a city park.
The park contains the following areas:
- Forestry Farm House (The Superintendent's Residence) - is a historical farm house of a Georgian brink design built in 1913 located within the park . The building was officially designated a heritage property on July 3 1990 .
- Hall - With a capacity of 225 people
- Gazebo Picnic Site - With seating for up to 100 people
- Fishing Pond - A Pond stocked with Steelhead Trout (daily permit required)
- Kinsmen Express Zoo Train - Guided tour through the zoo area 
- Paws Inn Concession and Gift Shop - A Concession Stand and Gift Shop operated by the Zoo Society 
- Meditation Garden - Cared for by the Perennial Society 
- Heritage Rose Garden - Cared for by the Perennial Society 
- Zoo - The zoo facilities
- Demonstration Forest - Original demonstration forest once part of the nursery.
The Zoo is housed within the park. In 1964 the Golden Gate Animal Farm ran into financial difficulties, the city agreed to acquire the animals and equipment; the zoo was then relocated to the park. The Zoo is accredited by the Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums and contains over 80 species of animals .
The Saskatoon Regional Zoological Society was formed in 1976 to aid in the education program at the zoo and advance the care of the animals. The society later changed its name to the Saskatoon Zoo Society.
- ^ "Saskatoon Zoo Society". A brief history.... Archived from the original on 2008-04-24. http://web.archive.org/web/20080424055211/http://www.saskatoonzoosociety.ca/history.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- ^ a b Layout 1 (Page 1)
- ^ City of Saskatoon · Departments · Community Services · Leisure Services
- ^ http://www.city.saskatoon.sk.ca/org/development/services/heritage_properties/superintendents_residence.asp
- ^ Kinsmen Express Zoo Train
- ^ Saskatoon Zoo Society
- ^ Meditation Garden2
- ^ Heritage Rose Garden
- ^ a b Saskatoon Zoo Society
Zoos of Saskatchewan
- Forestry Farm Park and Zoo
Zoos, aquariums, and aviaries Types of zoos Conservation Lists Animals Other topics
Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums members Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New BrunswickCherry Brook Zoo · Magnetic Hill Zoo Ontario Quebec SaskatchewanSaskatoon Forestry Farm Park and Zoo
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.