noun Date: 1854 lacquerware

New Collegiate Dictionary. 2001.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • lacquerwork — Any of a variety of decorative objects or surfaces, usually of wood, to which a coloured, highly polished, and opaque type of varnish called lacquer has been applied. True lacquerwork is Chinese or Japanese in origin. The technique was copied in… …   Universalium

  • lacquerwork — ˈ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ˌ ̷ ̷ noun : lacquer 2 …   Useful english dictionary

  • nashiji — ▪ lacquerwork also called  Aventurine,         in Japanese lacquerwork, form of maki e (q.v.) that is frequently employed for the background of a pattern. Gold or silver flakes called nashiji ko are sprinkled onto the surface of the object… …   Universalium

  • maki-e — ▪ lacquerwork       (Japanese: “sprinkled picture”), lacquer ware on which the design is made by sprinkling or spraying wet lacquer with metallic powder, usually gold or silver, from a dusting tube, sprinkler canister (makizutsu), or hair tipped… …   Universalium

  • arts, East Asian — Introduction       music and visual and performing arts of China, Korea, and Japan. The literatures of these countries are covered in the articles Chinese literature, Korean literature, and Japanese literature.       Some studies of East Asia… …   Universalium

  • Kamakura-bori — ▪ Japanese lacquerwork       (Japanese: “Kamakura carving”), in Japanese lacquerwork, technique in which designs are carved in wood and then coated with red or black lacquer. Originally, it was an imitation of a Chinese carved lacquer (tiao ch i …   Universalium

  • rō-iro — ▪ Japanese lacquerwork       in Japanese lacquerwork, technique of coating with black lacquer, involving two major methods. Hana nuri (or nuritate mono) uses black lacquer that contains oil in order to impart a glossy finish to the article.… …   Universalium

  • Japanning — is a word originating from the 17th century, used to describe the European imitation of Asian lacquerwork, originally used on furniture.JapannedJapanned is most often a heavy black lacquer, almost like enamel paint. The European technique uses… …   Wikipedia

  • Queen Anne style — n. 〚after ANNE2 (1665 1714), queen of Great Britain and Ireland (1702 14)〛 1. a style of English architecture of the early 18th cent., characterized by construction in red brick, forms modified from classical architecture, and simple, elegant,… …   Universalium

  • furniture — furnitureless, adj. /ferr ni cheuhr/, n. 1. the movable articles, as tables, chairs, desks or cabinets, required for use or ornament in a house, office, or the like. 2. fittings, apparatus, or necessary accessories for something. 3. equipment for …   Universalium

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”