noun Date: 1916 a substance that yields a gel with water • hydrocolloidal adjective

New Collegiate Dictionary. 2001.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • hydrocolloid — [hī΄drəkäl′oid΄] n. any of several substances, as gum arabic or agar, that form gels with water and are mostly used to thicken or smooth food products …   English World dictionary

  • hydrocolloid — hydrocolloidal /huy droh keuh loyd l/, adj. /huy dreuh kol oyd/, n. a substance that forms a colloid when combined with water. [1925 30; HYDRO 1 + COLLOID] * * * …   Universalium

  • hydrocolloid — noun a) Any material that forms a colloid (especially a gel) when mixed with water b) Such a material, made from agar, used to make dental impressions …   Wiktionary

  • hydrocolloid — A gelatinous colloid in unstable equilibrium with its contained water, useful in dentistry for impressions because of its dimensional stability under controlled conditions. irreversible h. a h. whose physical state is changed by an irreversible …   Medical dictionary

  • hydrocolloid — [ˌhʌɪdrə(ʊ) kɒlɔɪd] noun a substance which forms a gel in the presence of water …   English new terms dictionary

  • hydrocolloid — hy·dro·colloid …   English syllables

  • hydrocolloid — /haɪdrəˈkɒlɔɪd/ (say huydruh koloyd) noun any substance that will form a gel with the addition of water …   Australian English dictionary

  • hydrocolloid — noun a substance that forms a gel with water • Hypernyms: ↑substance • Hyponyms: ↑jello, ↑Jell O …   Useful english dictionary

  • Hydrocolloid dressing — A hydrocolloid dressing (trade names include Duoderm[1], Granuflex[2], and 3M Tegaderm Hydrocolloid) is an opaque dressing used in medicine to provide a moist wound healing environment, while protecting from contamination. Hydrocolloids were… …   Wikipedia

  • hydrocolloid impression — a denture impression made of a hydrocolloid material …   Medical dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”