noun see palindrome

New Collegiate Dictionary. 2001.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Palindromist — Pa*lin dro*mist, n. A writer of palindromes. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • palindromist — palˈindromist (or /pə linˈ/) noun An inventor of palindromes • • • Main Entry: ↑palindrome …   Useful english dictionary

  • palindrome — palindromist /peuh lin droh mist/, n. palindromic /pal in drom ik, droh mik/, palindromical, adj. palindromically, adv. /pal in drohm /, n. 1. a word, line, verse, number, sentence, etc., reading the same backward as forward, as Madam, I m Adam… …   Universalium

  • palindrome — noun Etymology: Greek palindromos running back again, from palin back, again + dramein to run; akin to Greek polos axis, pole more at pole, dromedary Date: circa 1629 a word, verse, or sentence (as “Able was I ere I saw Elba”) or a number (as… …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • Dmitry Avaliani — (Russian: Дмитрий Евгеньевич Авалиани; 6 August 1938 – 19 December 2003) was a Russian poet and palindromist. He is the founder of Russian Palindrome; also important for his contribution to Russian visual poetry. He invented and perfected special …   Wikipedia

  • palindrome — [ palɪndrəʊm] noun a word or sequence that reads the same backwards as forwards, e.g. madam. Derivatives palindromic drɒmɪk adjective palindromist noun Origin C17: from Gk palindromos running back again …   English new terms dictionary

  • palindrome — n. a word or phrase that reads the same backwards as forwards (e.g. rotator, nurses run). Derivatives: palindromic adj. palindromist n. Etymology: Gk palindromos running back again f. palin again + drom run …   Useful english dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”