- Bilaspur district, Chhattisgarh
The name of the district derived from the city of Bilaspur, the administrative headquarters of the district. The name 'Bilaspur' originated from Bilasa, a
fisherwomanwho founded it according to a legend.
The area which comprises present-day Bilaspur District was under the control of the
BhonslaRajas of Nagpur until 1818 and was governed by a Maratha‘ Subah’ (district officer). In 1818, the British started administering the area on behalf of the Raghuji IIIwho was minor. The area was administered by a commissioner. In 1853, after the death of Raghuji III, British annexed the Nagpur Kingdom to British Indiaas Nagpur Province, and in 1861 when the new Central Provinceswas born, Bilaspur was organized into a separate district [ [http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/pager.html?objectid=DS405.1.I34_V08_230.gifImperial Gazetteer of India, Oxford, 1908-1931 vol. 8, p. 224] ] . In October 1903, a new province ‘The Central Provinces and Berar’ was constituted and Bilaspur District became a part of the Chattisgarh Divisionof the province. In October 1905, on transfer of Sambalpur Districtto Bengal Province, Chandrapur-Padampur and Malkhurda estates were transferred to Bilaspur District. In 1906, when the Drug district (presently Durg District) was formed, a part of the Mungeli Tahsil was transferred to the new district. Also, another part of the district was transferred to the Raipur District[ [http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/pager.html?objectid=DS405.1.I34_V08_227.gifImperial Gazetteer of India, Oxford, 1908-1931, vol. 8, p. 221] ] . On 25 May 1998, the original Bilaspur District was split into 3 smaller districts, present Bilaspur, Korba and Janjgir-Champa.
Bilaspur district is situated between 21º47' and 23º8' north latitudes and 81º14' and 83º15' east latitudes. The district is bounded by Korea on the north,
Anuppur Districtand Dindori Districtof Madhya Pradeshstate on the west, Kawardha on the southwest, Durg and Raipur on the south and Korba and Janjgir-Champaon the east. The area of the district is 6377 km². Bilaspur is also known as the cultuaral capital of the state and also boosts various cultural and social events. The district is also the medical hub of chhattisgarh due to several world class hospitals ex Apollo Hospital. Education at the primary and higher level has considerably improved in the past decade due to opening of several international standard schools(Jain International School, DPS, St. Xaviers). The city is also witnessing high rate of infrastructural growth due to the several initiatives taken by the state government to improve the basic infrastructure of the city. The city has a mixed population basically comprising of Bengalies who migrated due to the partition or due to there job transfer in the Indian Railway and the South Eastern Coal Fields Ltd., the similar are the tamils. The native population is of chhattisgaries who speak the chhattisgari language comprise the maximum, living either as the urbun as well as the rural population. The cities most posh colony is Vasant Vihar which is the head quarter of SECL.
Bilaspur district consists of 8 tehsils. These tehsils are Bilaspur, Pendra Road, Lormi, Kota, Mungeli, Takhatpur, Bilha and Masturi. The total number of villages in the district is 1635.
The headquarters of the district is Bilaspur. It is the second largest city in the state and the seat of the High Court of Chhattisgarh. It is called "Nyaydhani" (legal capital) of Chhattisgarh. Bilaspur is famous for Kanan Pendari Zoo Park. Arpa is a river passing through the district, it very shallow in depth but creates havoc during rains.
Bilaspur is the headquarters of South Eastern Coalfields Ltd. the largest and most profitable subsidiary of Coal India. The district of Bilspur also has the largest number of cement factories in the state comprising of manufacturers such as Lafarge, Century, ACC. etc. The bilaspur railway zone has been fifth time in a row awarded as the most profitable railway zone by the ministry of Indian railways this year. The district is also well connected to the rest of the country by means of rail and road network hence improving the economy of the city. The city's main commercial hub is Vyapar Vihar, Telipara, Link Road, Bus Stand Road, Rajiv Plaza and Goal Bazar. Bilaspur is also the Regional Headquarter of Chhattisgarh State Electricity Board, headed by Chief Engineer(BR). The Chief Engineer(BR)has the jurisdiction of Bilaspur, Korba, Janjgir-Champa and Raigarh Districts for supply of electricity to all LT and HT consumers. After Regional Headquarter of Raipur of CSEB, the Bilaspur is the second largest jurisdiction for supply of electricity in Chhattisgarh State.
Bilaspur has the zonal office of
South East Central Railway, the 16th zone of Indian Railway which is recognized to have the maximum loading. The city is very well connected to rest of the country through good road and rail network. The city falls in the Mumbai Koklata rail network. The Bilaspur railway station is the most important railway station in the state from where several trains for different parts of the country originate. Important trains like Rajdhani and Shatabdi Originate from here. The District Administration and Municipal Corporation of Bilaspur City are forming a joint venture, to operate world class City Bus services in Bilaspur City by the end of 2007.
One of the important citizens of Bilaspur is N.Shankar Narayanan.
* [http://bilaspur.nic.in Bilaspur district official website]
* [http://www.merabsp.com/DistOver.aspx Overview of Bilaspur district]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.