- Los Guayos
Los Guayos is a town in
Carabobo, Venezuela, Northwest of the Valencia Lake. It is the capital of the Los Guayos Municipalityand is currently part of Valencia's metropolitan area.
Los Guayos owns its name to a phonetic alteration of the Indian word "uayos", a kind of rubber substance obtained from the bark of the "huayales" trees. This area was inhabited by Arawac Indians.
The town of Los Guayos is part of the Los Guayos municipality. It has now almost merged with other towns in the area. The Caracas-Valencia motorway lies immediately to the North-Northeast of Los Guayos. The Los Guayos river runs from the Northeast to the Southeast of the town.
* On 20 February 1694, don Francisco Berroterán, governor of the Province of Venezuela, declared Los Guayos "town of Indians". The area was part of the Indian tribe of the Guayos.
6 June 1710the priest Mariano de Martí made "Los Guayos" a parish.
* 1751: inhabitants of Los Guayos joined the national uprising led by Francisco de León against the
Francisco de Mirandaleft a troop in the town of Los Guayos to defend the road against the Spanish troops while he followed his campaign in the Valencia region. The troop engaged in a battle with the Spanish troops and was about to win the battle when one of its officers turned to the enemy. The troop then dispersed itself.
Colonial church of San Antonio de Padua or church of Los Guayos: This is one of the oldest churches in Venezuela. Its first building dates back to 1650, when it was the church for the Indians of the area. The bell tower, with two adjacent areas, dates back to 1779.
* Los Guayos proper: 2003
* Vivienda Popular Los Guayos: 2001
* [http://losguayos-carabobo.gob.ve Site of the Local Government of Los Guayos.]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.