- Masood Rana
Masood Rana Birth name Masood Ahmad Rana Born June 9, 1938
Sindh, British India
Died October 4, 1995(aged 57)
Genres Playback singing Occupations Singer Years active 1955–1995
Masood Rana (Urdu: مسعود رانا) (June 9, 1938 - October 4, 1995) was a Pakistani playback singer. He began his singing career in 1962 with the film Inqalab and became one of the top male singers in both Urdu and Punjabi films for more than three decades. He sang in the highest number of films and was a busy film singer until his death in 1995.
Masood Rana was born in Mir Pur Khas, Sindh to a Rajput landowner family which had migrated from the East Punjab's city Jalandhar. He started his singing career on Radio Pakistan, Hyderabad in 1955 and established a singer group in Karachi in the early 60's with two other famous names in showbiz - Nadeem Baig and Akhlaq Ahmed.
Masood Rana got his first breakthrough when the renowned actor Saqi introduced him to producer and director Iqbal Shehzad and musician Deebo. His first film song was in the film Inqalab and the song was Mashriq ki tareek faza mein nya svera phoota hay composed by music director N. K. Rahoor but he got fame from his second film Banjaran in 1962. He was proudly introduced as "Pakistani Rafi" and always lived up to his reputation. He was a specialist in singing difficult songs in very high pitch and was the first choice for title and theme songs.
In 1964, the Punjabi song Tange wala khair mangda in the film Daachi was a street song. He then became the most dominating male singer in both Urdu and Punjabi films when his six songs in film Hamarahi (1966) were mega hits. Masood Rana is still the only male singer in Pakistani films who sang more than 300 songs in each of the two languages - Urdu and Punjabi. He sang in more than 550 films and he worked continuously from his first film in 1962 till his death in 1995. Rana was considered to be the most successful singer after Ahmed Rushdi. He died on October 4, 1995 in a road accident.
In addition to the film assignments he has also sung beautiful patriotic songs which became popular and are still played on national days. For film Aag ka darya he sang Ae watan hum hain teri shama kay parwanon main, Zindgi hosh main hay josh hay eemanon main. The other song is Sathio, mujahido, jaag utha hay sara watan, sathio, mujahido (with Shoukat Ali) (Mujahid 1965). In honour of the courage and sacrifice of Pakistan's soldiers in the 1965 war with India, he sang "Yaad Karta Hai Zamana" in the film Hamrahi (1965).
Masood Rana's Top Urdu film songs
1. Tum he ho mehboob meray, main kyun nah tumhen pyar karun (Aina 1966)
2. Karm ki ik nazar hum par Khuda ra, Ya Rasoo Lallah (saw) (Hamrahi 1966)
3. Koi saath day keh nah saath de, yeh safar akailay hi kaat lay (Badnaam 1966)
4. Teri yaad aa gaee, gham khushi mein dhal gaey (Chand aur chandni 1968)
5. Jhoom ae dil woh mera jan-e-bahar aaey ga (Dil mera dharkan teri 1968)
6. Mera khyayal ho tum meri aarzoo tum ho (Nazneen 1969)
7. Mera mehboob aa gaya, mann mera lehra gaya (Neend hamari khawab tumharay (1971)
8. Tere bina yun gharian beetin, jaisay sadian beet gaeyin (Aanshoo 1971)
9. Mere dil ke hay awaz keh bichra yaar mile ga (Baharo phool barsao 1972)
10. Aag laga kar chhupney walay sun mera afsanah (Dillagi 1974)
11. Ae dil tujhay ab unsay kaisi yeh shikayat hai, woh samnay baithay hain kafi yeh inayat hai (Shararat)
Masood Rana's Top Punjabi film songs
1. Tange wala khair mangda, tanga lohr da howe te phanwen changh da (Daachi 1964)
2. Sajna ne buhey aggay chik tann leyi (Bharia mela 1966)
3. Yaaran naal baharan sajna (Yaaran naal baharan (1967)
4. Soch ke yaar banawin bandia (Jigri yaar 1967)
5. Dil dian lagian janay na, mera pyar pachanay na (Bau jee (1968)
6. Tere hath ki bedardey aaya phullan jeya dil tor ke (Sheran di jori 1969)
7. Ya apna kise nu kar lay, ya aap kise da ho belia (Dil dian lagian 1970)
8. Tere madh bharey nain mil pain te chandra sharab chhad de (Jeera blade 1973)
9. Sajno ae nagri daata di aithey aanda kul zamana (Nagri daata di 1974)
10. Yaar mangia si Rabba teithun ro ke, kehri main khudai mang leyi (Ishq nachawy gali gali 1984)
Masood Rana's Top Urdu duets
1. Sathio, mujahido, jaag utha hay sara watan (with Shoukat Ali) (Mujahid 1965)
2. Door veeraney mein ik shama hay roshan kab se (with Mala) (Naela 1965)
3. De ga na koi sahara, in bedard fazaon mein (with Naseem Begum) (Kon kisi ka 1966)
4. Madeeney waley se mera salaam keh dena (with Ahmad Rushdi) (Bhayya 1966)
5. Ik aur baat mani, ik aur zakham khaya (with Irene Perveen) (Badnaam 1966)
6. Tujhe pyar ki qasm hay, mera pyar ban ke aaja (with Mala) (Chand aur chandni 1968)
7. O mere shoukh sanam, hua deevana tera jab se tumhe (with Mala) (Sangdil 1968)
8. Haar dena na himmat kahin, ek sa waqt rehta nahin (with Mala) (Pak daman 1969)
9. Bheegi bheegi thandi hawa (with Runa Laila) (Ehsas 1972)
10. Yeh waada karo ke mohabbat karen ge (with Noor Jehan) (Daman aur chingari 1973)
Masood Rana's Top Punjabi duets
1. Sadi ajab kahani ae, bhul ke puraney dukhray (with Mala) (Mera mahi 1964)
2. Nikke hundian da pyar, wekhin devin na wisar (with Irene Perveen) (Mirza Jatt 1967)
3. We lakh tarley pawen mundia, teinu pyar nein karna (with Noor Jehan) (Dhee Rani 1969)
4. Teri akh da nein jawab, te bhulian khiria surkh gulab (with Naseem Begum) (Mukhra chann warga 1969)
5. Dil de ke te nasiye na, je ro ke wikha dena (with Noor Jehan) (Nikkay hundian da pyar 1969)
6. Lal meri patt rakhio bala Jholey Lalan (with Sain Akhtar and Munir Hussain) (Veryam 1969)
7. Lang aa ja pattan Chanaan da yaar (with Tasawur Khanum) (Ajj da Mehinwal 1973)
8. Chup ker ke gaddi day wich beh ja, jai bolain gee chapair khaain gee (with Mehnaz) (Warrant 1975)
9. Hey mar geye, than mar geye (with Naheed Akhtar) (Baadal 1987)
10. Yaad sataey, chain na aay, kalian nein jee sakna (with Noor Jehan) (Aan milo sajna 1994)
Masood Rana also appeared as an actor in a few films but he was not successful in this field. He was a solo hero in film Shahi Faqeer (1970) and a side-hero in films Do mutiaran (1968) and Yaar badshah (1971). As a guest actor he was seen in films Sangdil, Do Rangeeley, Noukar wohti da, Ajj di gall, Khushia and Dostana.
- ^ "Masood Rana". http://www.mazhar.dk/film/singers/masoodrana.htm. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- ^ "Anis Shakur". http://anisshakur.tripod.com/id122.html. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- ^ "Death anniversary of ‘Pakistani Rafi’". Dawn. 4 October 2011. http://www.dawn.com/2011/10/04/death-anniversary-of-%E2%80%98pakistani-rafi%E2%80%99.html. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Neend hamarey khuwab tumharey (1971 film) — Neend hamarey khuwab tumharey Directed by K. Khursheed Produced by K. Khursheed Starring Waheed Murad Deeba Nirala Aliya Talish … Wikipedia
Muzaffar Warsi — مظفروارثی Full name Muzaffar Warsi Died January 28, 2011(2011 01 28) (aged 77) Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan … Wikipedia
Sultan Rahi — Sultan Muhammad (Urdu:سلطان محمد) (popularly known as Sultan Rahi) (1938 January 9, 1996) was a Pakistani film actor who firmly established himself as the biggest film personality from Pakistan in Punjabi films during the 1970s and 1980s. He was… … Wikipedia
Dil mera dharkan teri (1968 film) — Infobox Film name = Dil mera dharkan teri image size = 150px caption = Film poster of Dil mera dharkan teri director = M.A. Rasheed producer = Murtaza Aftab writer = narrator = starring = Waheed Murad Shamim Ara Rani Salma Mumtaz Lehri Talish… … Wikipedia
Rishta hai pyar ka (1967 film) — Infobox Film name = Rishta hai pyar ka image size = 240px caption = director = Qamar Zaidi producer = Iqbal Butt writer = narrator = starring = Waheed Murad Zeba Iqbal Yousuf Hanif Farida Adeeb music = Nashad cinematography = editing =… … Wikipedia
Kaneez (1965 film) — Infobox Film name = Kaneez image size = 180px caption = Film poster of Kaneez director = Hassan Tariq producer = Hassan Tariq Ali Sufiyan Afaqi writer = Ali Sufiyan Afaqi narrator = starring = Waheed Murad Zeba Mohammad Ali Sabiha Khanam Lehri… … Wikipedia
Baharo phool barsao (1972 film) — Infobox Film name = Baharo phool barsao image size = 200px caption = Film poster of Baharo phool barsao director = Mehmood Sadiq Hassan Tariq producer = Mehmood Sadiq writer = Mehmood Sadiq narrator = starring = Waheed Murad Rani Rukhsana… … Wikipedia
Dil Mera Dharkan Teri (1968 film) — Dil mera dharkan teri Film poster of Dil mera dharkan teri Directed by M.A. Rasheed Produced by Murtaza Aftab … Wikipedia
Mukhra — Directed by Iqbal Kashmiri Produced by Mian Siddiq Nadeem Baig Starring Nadeem Baig Babra Sharif Samina Peerzada Ismail Shah Talish … Wikipedia
Mukhra Chann Warga — Directed by Waheed Daar Produced by M.A. Qazi Starring Nagham Habib Rani Yousuf Khan M. Ismael Munawar Zarif Shahida ChunChun Maz … Wikipedia