- Shields Library
The Peter J. Shields Library or Shields Library is a four-story
librarynamed after Peter J. Shields. It is located in the eastern part of main campus of UC Davis in Davis near downtown Davis. The library is an essential study and resource location for many UC Davis alumni.
The rectangular building the large library occupies was built in three parts starting in the year 1940, when the oldest north wing was built. The main entrance used to face north towards the UC Davis Quad Area. When UC Davis shut down during
World War II, the main reading room was used to train the Army Signal Corps. Expansion of the library (stage two) began about 15 years later in the 1960, which added the south and east sides of the building. The front entrance also changed its orientation from facing north to facing east. The last expansion stage in the early 1990's added the western side of the library and once again moved the main entrance to the west. This orientation remains the same as of now.Cite web|title=Shields Library|url=http://daviswiki.org/Shields_Library|accessdate=2007-09-23]
The library contains 3.2 million volumes, making it the largest library in Yolo County and the third largest in the
University of Californiasystem. [Cite web|title=Largest U.S. Libraries|url=http://encarta.msn.com/media_461550874/Largest_U_S_Libraries.html|publisher=Microsoft Encarta|accessdate=2007-09-23] In addition to books, the Shields Library contains many study tables, computers, and pieces of art work scattered across the interior of the library.
* [http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/ University of California, Davis - Shields Library]
* on the Davis Wiki
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.