Kendals,Kendal, Milne & Co, Kendal Milne & Falkner or Watt's was the name of a
department storein Manchester, England.
The store opened in 1832 and was bought by
Harrodsin 1919, thereafter taking on the Harrods name for a short period in the 1920s. The name was reversed, however, following protests from customers and staff.
The Harrods group, together with Kendals, was taken over by
House of Fraserin 1959. The store continued trading as Kendals until 2005, when, after extensive refurbishment, the store was renamed House of Fraser Manchester.
Despite the re-branding of Kendals, the 'Kendal, Milne and Co' name is still clearly visible on marble fascias above the store's entrances.
The store is located in a purpose-built
Art Decobuilding on Deansgate, with convert|280000|sqft|m2|abbr=on of retail space makes it northern England's largest department store (currently used trading space. Other Northern Department Stores have more space, just closed off due too economical reasons.)
* [http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/stores/store.asp?id=701 Website for the Manchester branch of House of Fraser (formerly Kendals)]
* [http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/179/179681_kendals_name_dropped_forever.html Manchester Evening News article on the name change for Kendals]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.