- The Medical Repository
It was printed by T. & J. Swords, Printers to the Faculty of Physic of Columbia College, New York.
The journal's founding editors were Elihu H. Smith, Samuel L. Mitchill, and Edward Miller. Smith edited the journal until his death in 1798, and Miller until his in 1812, with Mitchill leaving his editorship after 1821; the final volumes were edited by James R. Manley and Charles Drake. The journal filled a vacuum in medical literature in the early United States, as most medical publications were European and difficult to obtain; the great demand for the journal is attested by the fact that its first two volumes were each reprinted twice, in 1800 and 1804.
- John S. Billings (1876). "Literature and Institutions". A Century of American Medicine, 1776-1876. H.C. Lea. pp. 289–366 (p. 330). http://books.google.com/?id=L2oCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA330&lpg=PA330.
- Richard J. Kahn; Patricia G. Kahn (1997). "The Medical Repository — The First U.S. Medical Journal (1797–1824)". The New England Journal of Medicine 337 (26): 1926–1930. doi:10.1056/NEJM199712253372617. PMID 9407162.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.