- Matra Marconi Space
Matra Marconi Space Former type Subsidiary Industry Spacecraft Fate Merged with DASA in 2000 Predecessor Marconi Space Systems, Matra Espace Successor Astrium Founded 1996 Defunct 2000 Headquarters Toulouse, Haute-Garonne, France Area served UK, France Products Satellites Employees 1,100 (UK) Parent GEC-Marconi, Lagardère Group
Matra Marconi Space was established in 1990 as a joint venture between the space and telecommunication divisions of the Lagardère Group (Matra Espace) and the GEC group (Marconi Space Systems). The merged company was announced in December 1989 and was owned 51% by Matra and 49% by GEC-Marconi. It would have annual sales of £300 million, with £8.7 million in assets from Marconi Space Systems and £10.7 million in assets from Matra Espace.
Claude Goumy, the Managing Director of Matra Espace was the first Managing Director. The first deputy Managing Director was Richard Wignall, the former Managing Director of Marconi Space Systems. The space industry was important to France - almost half the budget of the European Space Agency (ESA) came from the French government.
On 11 August 1994 it bought Ferranti Satcomms (from administration), which was based in Poynton in Cheshire. Ferranti Satcomms brought satellite ground station, component and subsystem technologies to the group.
In July 1995, GEC bought 45% of shares in the National Remote Sensing Centre for the company. Also in July 1995, the company was looking to link up with Aérospatiale of Toulouse and DASA of Germany to form a Europe-wide space company. The company would (five years later) link up with DASA.
By 1996 the company was turning over more than £1 billion. In the late 1990s it developed a partnership with the University of Sheffield's Sheffield Centre for Earth Observation Science (SCEOS), which reserached interferometry.
In November 1997 it announced that it would close the Filton site (former BAe Dynamics), at a loss of 400 jobs, in August 1999. The Filton site specialised in scientific satellites and their computer software.
In late 1998 it was discussing a possible merger with DASA.
In 2000, it was merged with the space division of DaimlerChrysler Aerospace AG (DASA) to form Astrium.
- Jean-Bernard Lévy 1993-4
- Roger Wood -1996
- Skylark (rocket), sounding rocket designed earlier in the 1960s, last launched on 2 May 2005 (its 441st flight - Maser 10) from the Esrange site of the Swedish Space Corporation
- Radar for the European Remote-Sensing Satellite (ERS-1)
- Altitude and orbit-control system for XMM-Newton, which launched in December 1999
- Advanced synthetic aperture radar (ASAR) on the Envisat
- Propulsion systems (built at Filton) for four Cluster satellites, which were destroyed in June 1996 on the Ariane 5 Flight 501
- Technologies for Artemis (satellite)
- AfriStar, constructed with Alcatel Space
- AsiaStar, constructed with Alcatel Space
- Hélios (Europe's first) spy satellite
- Hipparcos, constructed with Alenia Spazio
- Hot Bird 2, the largest satellite made in Europe at the time and launched in November 1996, and other later Hot Bird satellites for Eutelsat (French)
- Humidity Sounder for Brazil - launched May 2002
- Early Inmarsat satellites
- Nilesat 101 - launched April 1998, for ERTU
- Nilesat 102 - launched August 2000
- Skynet (satellite)
- Solar and Heliospheric Observatory - launched December 1995
- Three satellites for 1worldspace, launched in 1999
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Matra — Rechtsform Aktiengesellschaft Gründung 1941 Auflösung 2003 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Marconi Electronic Systems — Limited Fate Merged with British Aerospace Successor BAE Systems Founded 20 July 1897 (as Marconi Company) … Wikipedia
Matra (aeronautique) — Matra (entreprise) Pour les articles homonymes, voir Matra. Logo de MATRA Entreprises Création 1941 … Wikipédia en Français
Matra (aéronautique) — Matra (entreprise) Pour les articles homonymes, voir Matra. Logo de MATRA Entreprises Création 1941 … Wikipédia en Français
Matra (команда Формулы-1) — Матра Matra Sports / Tyrrell Racing Organization / Equipe Matra Elf / Equipe Matra Sports / Equipe Matra База Лучшие пилоты Джеки Стюарт … Википедия
Marconi — may refer to: Contents 1 People 2 Businesses 3 Places 4 Other uses People Guglielmo Marconi, Italian born radio p … Wikipedia
MATRA — Marconi Space (French Electronics Company) Contributor: GSFC … NASA Acronyms
Matra — This article is about the French automobile, aeronautics and weaponry company. For other uses, see Matra (disambiguation). Matra Full name Mecanique Aviation Traction Base Vélizy Villacoublay, Paris, France … Wikipedia
Matra — Para otros usos, véase Matra (desambiguación). Mécanique Avión Traction o Matra es una empresa francesa que cubre un amplio rango de actividades, principalmente relacionadas con la aeronáutica y el armamento, que hoy en día (a fecha agosto de… … Wikipedia Español
Matra-Ford — Mécanique Avion TRAction, kurz Matra ist eine im Jahre 1945 gegründete französische Firma mit einem weitreichenden Tätigkeitsbereich, zunächst in den Bereichen Flugzeug und Rüstungsbau sowie der Kunststoffverarbeitung. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1… … Deutsch Wikipedia