- Campo Grande, Rio de Janeiro
Campo Grande is a suburb of the city of
Rio de Janeiro, in the West Zone of Rio de Janeiroof the city.
Campo Grande, which in the early 1940s was considered the "Empire of the Orange", grew along with the settlement of Brazil. The valley, which begins in the
Rio da Plataand ends in Cabuçu, was inhabited by Picinguabasand granted by the Portuguese Crown to Barcelos Domingos. In 1673, Domingos built the chapel of Our Lady of the Exile, which later became the parish churchof Campo Grande. Near the church was a well also called Our Lady of the Exile, which provided water to the local population.
The region began to grow in 1878 with the inauguration of the Campo Grande railway station, connected to the
Estrada de Ferro Central do Brasil(Brazilian Central Railway). It became easier to reach the center of the city quickly, and the region began to develop at a rapid pace.
October 16, 1895, Campo Grande began tramservice. On that day, the Municipal Council gave a concession to a private company, the Companhia de Carros Urbanos (Urban Streetcar Company), to install a line using animal power. The goal was to provide transportation to the railway.
In 1915, the company proposed to the Prefecture of the Federal District the substitution of animal power with 48 km of electrified lines, whose trams would leave from the center of Campo Grande for
Pedra de Guaratiba, Ilha, and Rio da Prata. The line remained in service until October 30, 1967, when trams were removed from Campo Grande.
Campo Grande went from being an essentially rural area to an urban one. Next to
Realengo, Jacarepaguá, and Santa Cruz, until 1939 Campo Grande was one of the largest produces of oranges, exporting up to 144,577 tons each year.
The city fabric of Campo Grande is regular and discontinuous, the habitation of the area consisting in isolated lots of large areas. Owing to the large network of services and a growing level of commerce, Campo Grande grew at an extraordinary pace.
High levels of homeownership are found in Campo Grande. Two-bedroom houses are most common, with an area of 60 square meters. In 1962 and 1979, CEHAB built the
Conjunto Santa Margaridaon the Estrada do Campinho.
In terms of education, Campo Grande has one of the largest concentrations of students in the Rio de Janeiro (state). The rate of school attendance is satisfactory, as is the rate of enrollment, which has increased yearly.
City of Campo Grande
June 14, 1968, the city was officially recognized under Law #1627, advanced by the deputy Frederico Trotta.
Industry and Commerce
Commerce in the neighborhood is self-sufficient, attracting business from other regions. The industrial sector is also growing. Campo Grande has an Industrial District on km. 43 of the
Avenida Brasil, reaching the Estrada do Pedregoso.
Bartolomeu Rabelofounded an aviary that was the birthplace of carioca bird farming, which today has attained a high level of development.
Some of the companies found in Campo Grande include Ambev, Refrigerantes Convenção, Guaracamp, Cogumelo (metallurgy), Fredvic (heating), Novartis (pharmaceuticals), Sacipan (café Câmara), Michelin, EBSE (electrical fuses), Superpesa (metallurgy), Dancor (munitions) and Ranbaxy (pharmaceuticals).
Rio da Prata, Mendanha, and Guaratiba, one can still find agriculture and livestock. Among the most common crops are bananas, oranges, mangoes, pears, cassava root, and chayotes. In terms of birds and livestock, one can find goat antelopes, pigs, cow, and rabbit.
Sub-neighborhoods of Campo Grande
* [http://www.bairroadriana.110mb.com Adriana (in Portuguese)]
*Benjamim do Monte
* [http://ivanildotecnico.v10.com.br Jardim da Luz (in Portuguese)]
*Jardim Nova Guaratiba
*Jardim Terra Firme
*Morada do Campo
*Rio da Prata
* [http://ivanildotecnico.v10.com.br Rozendo (in Portuguese)]
*Vila Santa Rita
*Vila São João
* [http://www.pcg.com.br/ Portal Campo Grande (Portuguese)]
* [http://www.radiocgfm.com/ Official radio station of Campo Grande (Portuguese)]
* [http://www.lcrjcampogrande.org.br/index.php/ Lions Club of Campo Grande (Portuguese)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.