- Oneonta, Alabama
Oneonta, Alabama — City — Blount County and the state of Alabama Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Alabama County Blount Government – Type Council – Mayor Dayrrl Ray Area – Total 15.4 sq mi (39.9 km2) – Land 15.3 sq mi (39.7 km2) – Water 0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2) Elevation 873 ft (266 m) Population (2000) – Total 5,576 – Density 362.1/sq mi (139.7/km2) Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6) – Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5) ZIP code 35121 Area code(s) 205 FIPS code 01-57000 GNIS feature ID 0152813
Oneonta is a city in Blount County, Alabama, United States. At the 2000 census the population was 5,576. The city is the county seat of Blount County. Oneonta is home to the Covered Bridge Festival.
Oneonta became the county seat in 1889 when it was moved from Blountsville.
Oneonta is located at 33°56'32.291" North, 86°28'43.586" West (33.942303, -86.478774).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 15.4 square miles (40 km2) of which 15.3 square miles (40 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (0.52%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,576 people, 2,177 households, and 1,419 families residing in the city. The population density was 363.4 inhabitants per square mile (140.3 /km2). There were 2,373 housing units at an average density of 154.7 per square mile (59.7 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 85.87% White, 7.41% Black or African American, 0.48% Native American, 0.20% Asian, 4.45% from other races, and 1.60% from two or more races. 13.24% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,177 households out of which 28.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.8% were married couples living together, 11.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.8% were non-families. 32.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the city the population was spread out with 21.5% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 21.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 91.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,620, and the median income for a family was $40,125. Males had a median income of $30,430 versus $19,531 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,166. About 8.4% of families and 14.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.2% of those under age 18 and 22.7% of those age 65 or over.
The city government is made up of Mayor Darryl Ray, and a five-person city council —Danny Robinson, Hal C. Buckelew, Mark Gargus, Ross Norris, and Tim McNair and City Manager Ed Lowe
Public education is provided by Oneonta City Schools. There are two schools in the city: Oneonta Elementary School (grades K through 6) and Oneonta High School (grades 7 through 12).
- ^ a b c d e f g "Fact Sheet- Oneonta city, Alabama". American Fact Finder. United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFFacts?_event=Search&geo_id=01000US&_geoContext=&_street=&_county=oneonta&_cityTown=oneonta&_state=04000US01&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=geoSelect&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=010&_submenuId=factsheet_1&ds_name=ACS_2008_3YR_SAFF&_ci_nbr=null&qr_name=null®=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_industry=&show_2003_tab=&redirect=Y. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- ^ "26th Annual Blount County Covered Bridge Festival". Blount-Oneonta Chamber of Commerce. http://www.blountoneontachamber.org/covered-bridge-festival. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- ^ "Blount County Courthouse in Oneonta". Encyclopedia of Alabama. October 6, 2009. http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/face/Multimedia.jsp?id=m-2983. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- ^ Hutchinson, Daniel (October 6, 2009). "World War II POW Camps in Alabama". Encyclopedia of Alabama. http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/face/Article.jsp?id=h-1418. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "Geographic Comparison Table- Alabama". American Fact Finder. United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GCTTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=04000US01&-_box_head_nbr=GCT-PH1&-ds_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U&-format=ST-7. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
Municipalities and communities of Blount County, AlabamaCounty seat: Oneonta Cities
Oneonta | Warrior‡
Towns CDP Unincorporated
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Oneonta (Alabama) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Oneonta. 33° 56′ 32″ N 86° 28′ 44″ W … Wikipédia en Français
Oneonta (Alabama) — Oneonta Lage in Alabama Basisdaten … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oneonta (Alabama) — Oneonta Ciudad de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Oneonta — may refer to: Contents 1 Communities 2 Scenic attractions 3 Schools 4 Other locations Communities … Wikipedia
Oneonta — ist der Name mehrerer Städte in den Vereinigten Staaten: Oneonta (Alabama) Oneonta (Kansas) Oneonta (Kentucky) Oneonta (New York) Diese Seite ist eine Begriffsklärung zur Unterscheid … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oneonta — es el nombre de varias localidades en los Estados Unidos: Oneonta (Alabama) Oneonta (Nueva York) Oneonta (pueblo) Esta página de desambiguación cataloga artículos relacionados con el mismo título. Si llegaste aquí a través de … Wikipedia Español
Alabama locations by per capita income — Alabama has the thirty eighth highest per capita income in the United States of America, at $18,189 (2000). Its personal per capita income is $26,338 (2003), the fortieth highest in the country. Its median household income is $34,135 (2000),… … Wikipedia
Oneonta — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Oneonta est le nom de plusieurs lieux aux États Unis : Oneonta (Alabama) Oneonta (New York) … Wikipédia en Français
Oneonta — Oneonta, NY U.S. city in New York Population (2000): 13292 Housing Units (2000): 4574 Land area (2000): 4.382999 sq. miles (11.351914 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 4.382999 sq. miles (11.351914 … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Oneonta, AL — U.S. city in Alabama Population (2000): 5576 Housing Units (2000): 2373 Land area (2000): 15.344273 sq. miles (39.741482 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.076991 sq. miles (0.199406 sq. km) Total area (2000): 15.421264 sq. miles (39.940888 sq. km)… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places