Snettisham is a
villageand civil parishin the English countyof Norfolk. It is located near the west coast of Norfolk, some 5 miles (8 km) south of the seaside resort of Hunstanton, 9 miles (15 km) north of the town of King's Lynnand 45 miles (70 km) north-west of the city of Norwich.Ordnance Survey (2002). "OS Explorer Map 250 - Norfolk Coast West". ISBN 0-319-21886-4.]
The civil parish has an area of 28.03 km² and in the 2001 census had a population of 2374 in 1097 households. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of
King's Lynn and West Norfolk.Office for National Statistics & Norfolk County Council (2001). " [http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/consumption/groups/public/documents/general_resources/ncc017867.xls Census population and household counts for unparished urban areas and all parishes] ". Retrieved December 2, 2005.] RSPB Snettisham, on the coast of The Washsome 2 miles (3 km) to the west of Snettisham village, is a nature reservein the care of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. It consists of bird lagoons and bird observation hides, including a rotary hide. The Snettisham coast around the reserve is often said to be "where Norfolk stares at Lincolnshire". This is because, unlike much of Norfolk's coast where the sea stretches to the horizon, Snettisham looks across the square-mouthed estuaryof The Wash at the county of Lincolnshire, only 15 miles (24 km) away. The River Ingolruns to the south of the village upon which stands the now unused Snettisham watermill.
Though traces of the station and railway line can still be seen the service which was opened in 1862 was terminated in 1969.
St. Mary's Church in the village has a 14th century, 172 ft. high
spire. Nikolaus Pevsnercalled it "perhaps the most exciting decorated church in Norfolk".
Snettisham Hoardis a series of discoveries of Iron Ageprecious metal, including nearly 180 goldtorques, 75 complete and the rest fragmentary, found in the area between 1948 to 1973. In 1985 there was also a find of Romano-Britishjewellery and raw materials buried in a clay pot in AD 155. Although this latter find has no direct connection with the nearby Iron Age finds, it may be evidence of a long tradition of gold- and silver-working in the area.cite web | url = http://www.cix.co.uk/~archaeology/hilites/snet.htm | title = The Snettisham Treasure | publisher = Current Archaeology | accessdate = June 6 | accessyear = 2006 ] cite web | url = http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compass/ixbin/goto?id=OBJ1424 | title = Jeweller's hoard from Snettisham | publisher = The British Museum | accessdate = June 6 | accessyear = 2006 ]
Snettisham has a complex entry in the
Domesday bookwhere it is divided in ownership between William de Warenne and the Bishop of Bayeux. Related are West Newton and Castle Rising, moreover Weston Longvilleis said to be in Snettisham's valuation. The name of the manor is spelt in four different ways, two very similar to the present pronunciation, one of "Snesham" and one of "Nestesham"."Domesday Book: A Complete Translation". London: Penguin, 2003. ISBN 0-14-143994-7 p.1075-6 and 1090]
On the 29th August 2008 Snettisham FC beat Chelsea FC in a friendly match. Fact|date=October 2008
* [http://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK/places/s/snettisham/ Information from Genuki Norfolk] on Snettisham.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.