- Anne Clark
Infobox Musical artist
Name = Anne Clark
Img_capt = Anne Clark live in concert (
M'era Luna Festival) in Hildesheim (Germany) 2004
Img_size = 250
Landscape = yes
Background = solo_singer
Born = birth date and age|1960|05|14
Croydon, London, England
Genre = New Wave, electronic,
Poet, singer, songwriter
Years_active = 1982–present
EMI(Virgin SP, Ten) Sony BMG( Columbia Records)
netMusicZone(Germany) Alfa Matrix(Belgium)
Associated_acts = Implant, Eyeless in Gaza
URL = [http://www.anneclark.com/ www.anneclark.com]
Her experimental music occupies a region bounded roughly by electronic, dance (techno applies on occasion) and possibly
avant-gardegenres, with varying hard as well as romantic and orchestral styles.
Clark is mainly a
spoken wordartist, but she also plays pianoand occasionally accompanies herself, with piano and voice mixing in a somewhat atypical New Wave style. Many of her lyrics deal critically with the imperfections of humanity, everyday life, and politics. Especially in her early works she has created a , melancholy kind of atmosphere bordering on weltschmerz.
Anne Clark was born the daughter of an Irishwoman and a Scotsman. At the age of 16, she left school. She took various jobs, one of which was as a nurse in a psychiatric hospital. Clark then got a job at the local record store (and label), Bonaparte Records.
Punk rockwas finding its way into London's music scene and totally matched Anne Clark's emotions.
Clark soon became involved with the
Warehouse Theatre, an independently-financed stage for bands, that was always low on cash. Although the theater's owners initially objected to the strange, pierced punk scene characters and their leather outfits, Anne was able to successfully arrange the program. Bands like Siouxsie and The Banshees, Generation X, and The Damnedbelonged to the local scene and performed at the Warehouse in addition to besides theatre, dance, comedy and poetry projects. Anne Clark managed to fill the theatre with artists like Paul Weller, Linton Kwesi Johnson, French & Saunders, The Durutti Column, Ben Watt(who is now a member of Everything But The Girl), and many others. She experimented with music and lyrics herself and first appeared on stage in Richard Strange's "Cabaret Futura" with Depeche Mode.
In 1982, Anne Clark published her first album, "The Sitting Room", with songs written by herself. On the following albums, "Changing Places" (1983), "Joined up Writing" (1984) and "Hopeless Cases" (1987), Anne benefited from an acquaintance from the Warehouse: keyboardist
David Harrowcontributed as the co-author. The songs created by this team, such as "Sleeper in Metropolis", "Our Darkness" and "Wallies" have since been considered milestones of the 1980s and 1990s.
In 1985, Clark released the album "Pressure Points". It was created in cooperation with
John Foxx, who had founded Ultravox.
In 1987, Clark went to Norway for three years, where she worked with
Tov Ramstadand Ida Baalsrud, among others. In cooperation with Charlie Morgan, she released the album "Unstill Life" in 1991 on SPV Records. Tracks included The Monent, Unstill Life, Abuse and Empty Me. This album was also released in the USA on Radikal Records. During 1992, she released a non-album collaboration on maxi CD (SPV) with Ida Baalsrud, who both played the violin part and co-wrote "If I Could"; furthermore, there was also a remix of "Our Darkness" included on the last track of the CD. At the very end of 1992, in December, Charlie Morgan unexpectedly died of cancer at the age of only 36, which caused many planned collaboration projects to be abandoned.
After several months of reorientation, Clark eventually released "The Law is an Anagram of Wealth" in 1993, once again in collaboration with Tov Ramstad; the other musicians involved were
Paul Downing, Martyn Bates(of the band Eyeless in Gaza), and Andy Bell (not of Erasure fame but talented musician and programmer) and completed a major European Tour.
Just one year later, in 1994, Anne Clark ventured into a style that she had not experimented with before: acoustic music. This eventually culminated in the release of "Psychometry" (1994), which featured a concert recorded live on stage in the
Passionskirchein Berlin- Kreuzberg.
Continuously, Clark went on following her musical roots and the influences of folk and classical music. Her 1998 album, "Just After Sunset", a collaboration with
Martyn Bates, featured poems by German poet Rainer Maria Rilketranslated into English. This album was re-released four years later in 2002 when Clark got back the rights on the album. The re-release included some additional video footage, although it was of rather poor quality.
In 2003, another album joined her series of acoustic albums: "From The Heart - Live In Bratislava", which she recorded together with Murat Parlak (vocals/piano), Jann Michael Engel (cello), Niko Lai (drums and percussion) and
Jeff Aug(guitars) in Bratislava, Slovak Republic.
In 2005, Clark joined up with the Belgian act Implant for the album "Self-inflicted", on which she delivered guest vocals. The album was released via Alfa Matrix Records, which in the meantime had become her home label outside of Germany. She also appeared on the Implant EP "Too Many Puppies".
2006 saw Clark back again in the
recording studiowith Implant for the EP "Fade Away", on which she delivered guest vocals and performed a duet with Leæther Strip's Claus Larsen. And she also appeared on the album "Audioblender" by Implant, again released via the Alfa Matrix record label.
In 2007 Clark was in
Germanyto record her next album "The Smallest Act of Kindness", which will be released in September 2008. It will be her first album with original material in 12 years [ [http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=27884_0_2_0_C Anne Clark returns with first new studio album in over 12 years] ] . The album will be released in a luxury digipack, a high quality cd album jewelcase-size hardbound book with a fine 4-color matte finish on its cover [ [http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=35114_0_2_0_C Anne Clark returns with new album 'The Smallest Acts Of Kindness' and first UK show in over a decade] ] . This digipack book contains the lyrics for all of the album`s songs, as well as over 25 full color photos by the Hubble Space Telescope (NASA), Sofia Papathoma, and Andy Bell, on over 30 high grain pages.
At present, Clark resides in
Norfolk, England, United Kingdom.
Current live band members:
* Anne Clark, Vocals
Jeff Aug, Guitarist
* Niko Lai,
Drums & Percussion
* Murat Parlak,
* Jann Michael Engel,
Rainer von Vielen, fx
* Xabec, aka Manuel G. Richter, Programming
* 1982 – "The Sitting Room" (UK:
Red Flame, Germany: Virgin Schallplatten, later: Virgin/ EMI; LP)
* 1983 – "Changing Places" (UK: Red Flame, Germany: Virgin Schallplatten, later: Virgin/EMI; LP)
* 1984 – "Joined Up Writing" (UK: Ink, later: Virgin/EMI; EP)
* 1985 – "Pressure Points" (UK: Ten, Germany: Virgin Schallplatten; later: Virgin/EMI; LP)
* 1986 – "An Ordinary Life" (UK: Great Expectations/Ink; LP/CD)
* 1987 – "Hopeless Cases" (UK: Ten; Germany: Virgin Schallplatten, later: Virgin/EMI; LP)
* 1988 – "R.S.V.P." (UK: Ten; Germany: Virgin Schallplatten, later: Virgin/EMI; LP – recorded live at the Music Centrum,
Utrecht, Holland, 1987)
* 1991 – "Unstill Life" (SPV, later: Virgin/EMI; LP/CD)
* 1993 – "The Law Is An Anagram Of Wealth" (Germany: SPV; CD)
* 1994 – Anne Clark and friends: "Psychometry" (SPV, later: Virgin/EMI; CD – Live at the
* 1995 – "To Love And Be Loved" (SPV, later: Warner Chappell; CD)
* 1997 – "Wordprocessing: The Remix Project" (Columbia Europe/Sony BMG, later: Warner Chappell; CD)
* 1998 – Anne Clark &
Martyn Bates: "Just After Sunset – The Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke" (Labor/Indigo, later: Warner Chappell, re-release 2002: netMusicZone; CD)
* 2003 – "From the Heart – Live in Bratislava" (netMusicZone – Recorded at the studios of Slovak National Radio Broadcast during the European acoustic tour on 17 November, 2002)
* 2004 – "Notes Taken, Traces Left" (netMusicZone –
Audiobook, song lyrics and commentary from Anne Clark's book)
* 1984 – "
Sleeper in Metropolis" ( Rough TradeGermany)
* 1984 – "
Our Darkness" (miscellaneous, licensed from Red Flame)
* 1984 – "Self Destruct" (Germany: Ten)
* 1985 – "Sleeper in Metropolis (Remix with David Harrow)" (UK: Ink)
* 1985 – "Wallies" (UK: Ink)
* 1985 – "Heaven" (UK: Ten; Germany: Virgin Schallplatten)
* 1986 – "True Love Tales" (UK: Ink)
* 1987 – "Hope Road" (UK: Ten)
* 1987 – "Homecoming" (UK: Ten, Germany: Virgin Schallplatten)
* 1988 – "Our Darkness/Sleeper in Metropolis/Self Destruct" (UK: Ink)
* 1990 – "Abuse" (Germany: SVP)
* 1991 – "Counter Act" (SVP)
* 1991 – "Counter Act (Remixes)" (SPV; single/EP)
* 1992 – "If I Could/Our Darkness (Remix)" (SPV)
* 1993 – "The Haunted Road: Travelogue Mixes" (SPV)
* 1994 – "Elegy For A Lost Summer" (SPV)
* 1994 – "Elegy For A Lost Summer (Remix)" (SPV)
* 1996 – "Letter Of Thanks To A Friend" (SPV;
* 1997 – "Our Darkness ('97 Remixes)" (
Columbia Records/Sony BMG)
* 1997 – "Sleeper In Metropolis ('97 Remixes)" (Gang Go, Columbia Records/Sony BMG)
* 1998 – "Wallies (Night of the Hunter) ('98 Remixes)" (Columbia Records/Sony BMG)
* 2002 –
Blank & Jonesfeaturing Anne Clark: "The Hardest Heart" (Gang Go/Warner)
* 2003 – "Sleeper In Metropolis 3000" (Gang Go/Warner)
* 2008 – "Full Moon" (netMusicZone)
* 1986 – "Trilogy" (UK: Ink; anthology; compilation of the first three albums; CD)
* 1986 – "Terra Incognita" (Spain: Ink; LP)
* 1991 – "The Last Emotion" (Beehive Productions; 3 CD box set: "The Sitting Room/Changing Places/Joined Up Writing")
* 1994 – "The Best of Anne Clark" (UK: Beehive Productions)
* 1996 – "Anne Clark: Nineties - a Fine Collection" (Germany: Steamhammer, later: SPV; CD)
* 2003 – "Dream Made Real" (Noble Price/TIM)
* 2007 – "Remix Collection" (netMusicZone)
* 1992 – "Iron Takes the Place of Air: Live in Berlin" (SPV; Live Video,
* Anne Clark: "Notes Taken, Traces Left. Fotografien – Texte – Interviews." Edited by Jeff Aug, translated by Martin Müncheberg. Schwarzkopf & Schwarzkopf, 2003. ISBN 9783896024633. (328 pages, in English and German)
* [http://www.anneclark.com/ Official Anne Clark website]
* [http://www.alfa-matrix.com/ Official Anne Clark label home: Alfa Matrix]
* [http://www.80sretromusic.com/biography/C/ClarkAnne.htm Anne Clark] biography entry on an 'Eighties retro page'
* [http://discogs.h17.ru/discographies/anne_clark.htm Discography of Anne Clark]
* [http://www.myspace.com/anneclark Anne Clark MySpace]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Anne Clark — beim M’era Luna Festival 2004 Anne Clark (* 14. Mai 1960 in Croydon, South London) ist eine britische Songwriterin, Sängerin und Pianistin, die im Zuge der Post Punk Ära im Vereinigten Königreich bzw. der europäischen New Wave/Dark Wave … Deutsch Wikipedia
Anne Clark — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Clark. Anne Clark Anne Clark, M era Luna Fe … Wikipédia en Français
Anne Clark Martindell — (July 18, 1914 ndash; June 11, 2008) was an American Democratic Party politician from New Jersey, as well as a diplomat who served as United States Ambassador to New Zealand from 1979 1981.Anne Clark was born in New York City on July 18, 1914 to… … Wikipedia
Anne Clark (disambiguation) — Anne Clark may refer to:*Anne Clark, English poet and songwriter *Anne Rogers Clark, American dog breeder and show judgeee also*Ann Nolan Clark, American writer *Anne Clark Martindell, American Democratic politician from New Jersey *Anna Clark,… … Wikipedia
Anne Clark Martindell — (* 18. Juli 1914 in New York City; † 11. Juni 2008) war eine US amerikanische Diplomatin und Politikerin (Demokratische Partei). Sie war vom 28. August 1979 bis zum 7. Mai 1981 Botschafterin der Vereinigten Staaten in Neuseeland. Daneben war… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Clark (Familienname) — Clark ist ein englischer Familienname. Herkunft und Bedeutung Der Name entspricht dem neuenglischen clerk und damit in etwa dem deutschen Namen Schreiber. Varianten Clarke, Clerke Bekannte Namensträger Inhaltsverzeichnis A B C D … Deutsch Wikipedia
Clark — This article is about the surname Clark. For other uses, see Clark (disambiguation). Clark Family name A scribe or clerk, the occupation from which the name derives Meaning Clerk, sc … Wikipedia
Clark — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Cet article possède un paronyme, voir : Clarke. Patronyme Le nom de Clark es … Wikipédia en Français
Anne Rogers Clark — (1929 – 20 December 2006) was an American dog breeder and trainer and one of the few people licensed to judge all 165 breeds and varieties recognized by the American Kennel Club. She was co author of The International Encyclopedia of Dogs [cite… … Wikipedia
Clark Kent (Smallville) — Clark Kent Smallville character Clark s costume in season ten reflects his outfit in the first eight seasons, but with an additional embossed Superman shield. First appearance … Wikipedia